Suggestion Facebook Group Administration/Moderation Section?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Lisa, Jan 5, 2017.

1. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    when a user posts to a page, it does not pop up in the pages timeline unless shared by the page admin or mod or whatever.

Unlike a group it automatically goes into the users time line.

A Facebook page is also not private, something which in my category of content desire.

So if you write the most amazing content but have poor interaction, Facebook is not going to put it on a users timeline unless you get out the credit card.

A facebook page can be highly successful if its something everybody likes and you have the freedom to mess around to drive up engagement.

Unfortunately when something trends on FB people just copy it, look at the 1000degree knife that popped up on youtube last week and all the youtubers complaining about trying to stay relevant.

Same on facebook, tag a friend tactics, whats your favourite colour, share and like to win a bmw m6 from BMW OFFICIAL AMMERICAA! Tag a pretty friend and an ugly friend but dont tell who is who etc. etc etc.

2. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+803
    Ah okay, I understand where you're coming from now. Yes, Facebook made those changes and frankly it sucks horribly for marketers compared to before. :(

3. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+38
    I think you've misunderstood my posts to this point. The opening post was suggesting an admin forum on TAZ for those that run Facebook Groups. IMO, that is a bad idea. You are free to use Facebook anyway that you want...that really doesn't have any bearing on what I am posting about in this thread.

4. BrandonSheley

+803
    I did kind of go off on a tangent lol but I do think it would help here if the admin or some staff was active in it as well.
    That part is key in making it work here.

If it turns into an automated link spammer like the twitter account, it'll mostly be ignored.

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,607
    I dislike FB but it might change if there were good discussions about it.

6. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    BrandonSheleyBrandonSheley you are doing a busy job of posting links.

87 members and seen by 5 on a lot of posts.

Have you seen Mathew santoro is thinking of deleting his Facebook because it simply doesn't reach as many people as it once used to.

750,000 members and only seen by maybe a1000?

He sites all other social networks as being better for reach.

7. BrandonSheley

+803
    Am I?
    I assume you're talking about the TAZ group?
    I see a few post with 5 views. but I also see several with 9-10 views, as well as several older ones with 18-20 views. Just shows that people are able to get something out of the content shared, which is the whole point isn't it. ;)
    As I've said before and I'll say it again. I'd like that to be a Facebook Page, vs the Group. That may change soon.
    NO I DIDN'T!!
    ..but I have no idea who that is either..lmao
    Sounds like he's not providing the correct content.
    Or his audience isn't who he thought they were.
    Good for him, I wish him the best.

I'll go with the numbers and enjoy the traffic he's passing up.

statistic_id272014_global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users-2016.png

source: https://www.statista.com/

8. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    Nobody here knows pewdiepie either.

Matthew does 50 amazing facts on YouTube.

Sure enough he gets 12000 likes on Instagram per item. But Facebook about 500.

He attributes it to Facebook wanting money to promote content?

I'm surprised how some moan about how forums are dieing(not you, it's just a thought that came into my head while writing this) but do not study successful social media people. He's particularly open about stuff on YouTube. 6million subscribers and over 850,000,000 video plays.

I don't think he's passing up on stuff in life...

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,372
    And his antisemitism has started catching up with him. Disney has dropped their deal with him. Youtube dropped his program earlier today and dropped him from their premium advertising program.

One thing you can learn from studying someone like him... when you make a living being a douchebag to gain yuk-yuk type followers, its a mighty fragile empire that can crumble quicker than it was built. He's a has been now, unless his audience is okay with antisemitism.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. Joel R

Joel R Adherent

+307
    Even though it may turn off mainstream subscribers, it will also attract certain kinds of people. I'm certainly not advocating the practice of anti-semitism or other hateful speech, but I think it's important to recognize the (adversarial and hate-fueled) sway it has over certain blocs.

To get back on point, yes I think TAZ should open a Facebook moderation / ownership group. I've always considered TAZ's original intent to be agnostic to the software, whether it be vBulletin or MyBB or XF or WordPress. Although there's a heavy emphasis on forum software that naturally leeches through the conversations, the practice of being an administrator of a online organization shouldn't be limited to only forums. In fact, I think it would be a disservice to not include administration tips for the world's largest online community. Just saying.

11. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    have you actually watched the video's? if you have not then its very difficult for perspective.

At 50million followers that are "yuk-yuk" that is a lot of people. Too many to tar with the same brush for me.

the "fiverr" video he was highlighting various comical things to which people will do for "a fiver". his reaction to actually getting a response shows you that he was totally horrified that they did it. If anything it highlighted a lack of proper editorial moderation on the behalf of fiverr and subsequent over-reaction of fiverr to ban jesus and the tribes people. He even tried to help out with a donation of $500 each. The jesus guy even made a video saying that the promotion on pewdiepie's channel was beneficial to him.

The commentary is far deeper if you listen to him talk on his rants. We live in a society where LBGTI has made massive steps forward to equality but faces the same equality issues. For example:

White man - has no real equality issues, theres some but if everybody was at the same level we wouldnt have equality issues.
    woman - first getting a vote in 1920(europe) - still highly referenced to sexualized objects in marketing industry and various comments from the current president of the united states which i do not need to repeat... girls being gamers on youtube, signs in universities reminding woment to cover up because guys cant control themselves?! etc the list is endless
    Black people - vote in 1870, front seat of a bus 1955 (10 years after wwii), black lives matter 2016 and still ongoing
    LBGTI - 2016 massive advancements made but will be ongoing

All these issues, which i cannot explain or fully understand because I don't suffer them first hand day in and day out, just observe on the internet, news, media etc.

The issues of clickbait (pewdiepie is antisemetic! you wont believe what you watch in this video), context, humor, right to free speech, right to freedom of press...(he was investigating a service "fiverr", ok, maybe he could do requests like... make a bomb... make a propaganda film... that would be more -investigative- but that doesn't get views, being possibly antisemitic gets you a ton of attention seriously fast)

This is being eroded by censorship, censorship in the examples of Disney withdrawing their contract, youtube saying they will de-monetize a video for "sensitive content", covering war, etc....

He is now less likely to cover sensitive issues that are actually really serious. That need real conversation and that is a major loss.

Now I don't expect you to agree with what I have said. But I do ask you consider my opinion as being valid as I do watch his videos as they come out (not the gaming ones as I get a bit bored at times with them.)

12. BrandonSheley

+803
    Yes, thank you :)
    There certainly is a lot of knowledge and experience around here that can be shared via whatever media possible. :)

13. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,061
    I'm not sure you're on the same page as what the suggestion is about :) From your responses, I'd say you're talking about a section on how to use FB to your forum's advantage, but that's not what the request is. The request is for a section for people who run FB groups/pages as their community (separate from a forum) to give them a place to discuss the ins and outs, pros and cons, etc, of running that kind of community.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  14. BrandonSheley

+803
    Ah.. I didn't read it that way at all but I can see it now.
    I thought it was a suggestion to exploit the admins here with user management experience. :oops:

15. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,372
    Okay, 50 million minus you. :). Joking, but take a look at a lot of the commentary AND his videos, there's a lot of that brush there.

I was making a commentary what can be learned from how he's conducted himself recently, not the validity of his social messages, etc. I don't believe we need social lessons/views here, and his commentary on social issues are no more enlightened (or valid) than anyone else because he has a taller soapbox.

16. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,863
    The only thing I see on TAZ's FB page is automated links to social media and marketing articles not directly related to forum admining. Not that I am complaining, I understand it is an attempt to make a FB presence but what a FB page needs really is a FB page manager, someone real who is going to spend some time posting 'related' content and interacting with fans. The days of auto-posting is about over because anyone can do it and anyone can spot it. My few cents at least.

17. BrandonSheley

+803
    The group setup is going to fail, if I get time I'll create everything on a page but with a newborn at the house, time isn't something we have a lot of..lol

The articles I've posted to the group can help forum owners if they'll look outside of their silo. It's generally marketing, branding and content building. All of which every forum owner should be interested in. ;)

I do see your point Shawn about not directly related to forums, but that content isn't as available.

I'm very much open to suggestions though, there is no interaction on the group and hasn't been for the life of the group from what I saw looking back. It's not the content so much, it's the entire setup of the group.

All the articles I've posted are from a real person, me lol, they are also posted at optimal times for the best interaction. I could make a post (reply here for $100) on the group and I'm certain it would go a day or longer before anyone would try to reply. The group is very small and I'm guessing many members joined a long time ago and may not even run websites anymore. We've all seen those threads "show me your XYZ forum" only to find dead link after dead link on the first dozen pages. ;)

18. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    Looking at it 88 members seen by 4 and seen by 6.

Without engagement its going to do nothing.

2166 likes on the page at the moment. Usual post gets 500 views.

upload_2017-2-15_17-28-41.png

This is social media.

This is your brain on social media.

The level of effort was: see this somewhere else, download & re-post, crazy ensues.

Heres another:

upload_2017-2-15_17-30-10.png

Again, somebody else's instagram. Tag a mate and 1366 reached.

19. pierce

pierce Habitué

+597
    I glance at the comments, in terms of "community" the comments show it directed towards pewdiepie. Not really at each other unless somebody comments on a comment.... but it's mostly junk (which he has made videos about how junky they are and lacks proper controls etc, the best being to show newest first so the spam doesnt stick to the top)

How he conducted himself without the context of the actual message? I am having a hard time arguing against this comment. Examples usually point to celebrities which are poor examples. So I googled it.

Debating without context is bias.

If a man is running around screaming his head off in a train station in some small slow town south Alabama people are probably going to think he has had too much moonshine to drink. The same man in the same manor in the NYC subway station would probably be arrested or tackled to the ground for being a potential terrorist.

The location, the pretenses of the area etc are bias.

If you were to observe the man finding out that he won a $200million lottery, he would seem a lot less crazy and quite normal even forgiven under the circumstances. We have removed bias by adding context.

As such I would think that how he behaves to be assessed requires the context of the message, the way it has been delivered. The validness of his message is up to interpretation.

I don't think anybody would survive if you cherry picked every bad thing they did out of context.

20. BrandonSheley

+803
    So piercepierce since you have seems to know everything about marketing on facebook then please join us and contribute. ;)

You act like I have no idea what I'm doing and then you start talking about some youtuber you guys apparently think is a moron for some reason. Do try to stay on topic, I don't care at all about this person you keep talking about..lol I don't claim to know everything but I do feel I have a pretty damn good grasp on how to market a product, or in this case a group of admins.

Alright, trying to get back on topic if that's even possible. :LOL:

So I've said it several times now but one last time for good measures...

I suggest we switch over to a facebook page and we are talking about it in the staff rooms.
    This is for a number of reasons which google will fill everyone in on if interested.

But.. for now it's a group and it is what it is.

Every post I've scheduled could benefit web administrators, sure some more than others.
    Also the group as a whole has never been active, partly from how groups are displayed. I imagine most members joined just to support TAZ, not necessarily to interact and see the groups post on their home page every day.

Some stats I was able to pull up, who doesn't like cold hard facts? :Dl

taz.png

So from the start of last year, 2016 until today as of this post there have been 17 comments, and 7 likes by only 7 individuals.

So the "88 members" that keeps coming up could also be said as "7 active members" which if I view the stats from all time it's slightly better but not much considering the time that is covered.

The group was started in May of 2012 and here are the stats from then to now.
    115 posts
    19 authors
    25 commenters
    21 likers

That's almost 5 years of use... so you see the issue isn't just the content that I may or may not have shared the last 2 months.

One more screenshot if you guys are wanting to impeach me as social guy for TAZ :notworthy:

taz2.png

I'm always open to suggestions and do agree engagement needs to improve. I can start adding a comment to the articles and infographs I've shared on the TAZ group. Creating questions and maybe someone will reply..lol

We can always use help on content, don't be shy ;)

Oh what are the most popular post on the group you ask?
    Well mostly discussion about errors on theadminforum.com

taz3.png

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted