Suggestion Facebook Group Administration/Moderation Section?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Lisa, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,405
    Like it or not, FB Groups are here to stay and they are home to some very large online communities. I'm wondering whether TAZ would benefit from having a section dealing with FB Groups on a more specific level than just general Social media, covering everything from setting up an FB group, monetising (as you can't use adsense etc) and best moderation/administration methods, etc etc etc.

Anyway... just an idea :p

2. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    maybe we should start an fb group for group admins?

3. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+3,987
    I'd be happy to add a forum for this if there is interest.

4. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Developer

+99
    Ah Facebook! The dark side! :p

But there is some truth to that. I hope a new many to many model comes around where there will be methods of applying unique flare. Since Facebook Groups are just so drab. I guess Im just biased.

5. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,405
    FB Groups are so bad, but unfortunately their popularity can't be ignored.

6. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+715
    Does TAZ have a Facebook presence?

I know I've seen one for Twitter.

There are benefits to groups as well as pages.

7. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    with examples? :)

8. BrandonSheley

+715
  9. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+7,405
    Well, they have a page. Not sure who is the admin these days, but it's not active. Same can be said for the twitter account. Social Media has never been used well here :whistle:

10. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    Well considering you cant control advertising on an FB group...

how do you make sure users don't migrate to fb?

11. BrandonSheley

+715
    The owners have control of everything, I don't know why you'd think you couldn't?
    You want to use it as a tool, just like everything.
    How do you make sure your users don't migrate to another forum or website in general?

12. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    well i have not heard of fb writing checks for advertising fees, usually its money to fb

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,270
    This thread reminds me of a movie...

movieposter.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. BrandonSheley

+715
    lost me there piercepierce ?

Anyways.. here are a few sources to check out.

Groups seem more for selling stuff on Facebook anymore, like an online garage sale or craigslist.
    Pages is what I'd use and do use to promote services or products.

To start straight from Facebook themselves.
    https://www.facebook.com/business/overview

These 2 look to cover everything or at least an outline to start.

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2013/04/15/facebook-marketing
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...romoting-your-small-business-on-facebook.html

and because I like images, an infographic to summarize :D

facebook-business-dos-and-donts---final.png

15. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    a page? is not a group

If i have something meaningful to share ill get 50 views or an important announcement and fb is like give me boost!!!

on another page ill put emo on the toilet and get 20,000 views 30 shares and 200 likes

facebook doesnt monetize groups so their reach is far greater

16. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+22
    I think this is a bad idea. It's akin to asking a union to post fliers for jobs available at Walmart.

We are a bunch of individual sites working hard to earn a living. Facebook is a low quality, high volume competitor that seeks to destroy competing businesses. Not sure why a site devoted to building relationships with independent owner operators would want to invite discussion from those that are working with that large competitor...

17. BrandonSheley

+715
    You are correct piercepierce
    A page is not a group

The rest of your post is very narrow sighted

YappiYappi, again use it as a tool.. or don't, don't bother me one bit but know that your competition is and likely taking your possible users. ;)

18. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+22
    I understand knowing your competition...but I don't agree on inviting them into your house, cooking them dinner, and thanking them for taking time out of their busy day to grace you with a visit.

Facebook Groups are competition for forums. It's basically the enemy of what brought most of us here. I'm here to learn more about administrating a forum. If someone wants to learn about running a Facebook Group, I'm sure there are plenty of other sites that they can find that information on to help them along.

19. pierce

pierce Fan

+250
    no its experience.

Im paying to reach users. In order to convert them to forum users in order to re-cooperate funds spent.

If I was selling a $5 widget that cost $2 to make, I can afford to advertise up to $2 / conversion~ or so.

Unfortunately volume matters when it comes to advertising.

20. BrandonSheley

+715
    YappiYappi I see your point but..

You're wrong, and again I'd use a Facebook Page, over a group but both are similar in the big picture.
    The links I posted explain a few ways to use them, track the links, study your data and make conversions.. As with everything it takes work.

piercepierce sir, you are correct - carry on

Hypothetically you've purchased a brick and mortar store in a great location right next to the fancy mall. You have great inventory, everything looks good, you have a few regulars that have followed you from the last location but.. you've painted the windows black, you've removed the "front door" which faces this shopping center with tons of foot traffic. You use the back door, which is actually through the basement out into a dark wet alley.

Also.. I am not talking about paying for ads on facebook, I'm talking about using the tools you have to extend your community and let them help marketing your amazing content you've been sharing with them.

I hope this helps clear up what my point is
    Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram etc etc.. all should be tried by every forum admin in here.
    Some networks will work better for one niche over another.
    Research, experiment, test and record. Examine your data and remove the low performing ones.

And before you or anyone post the inevitable "I don't have time for all that" There are services to help automate everything.
    In fact there are services or tools to automate damn never everything we have do as forum owners. It's just a matter of knowing where to look.

https://buffer.com
    is a good one

Anyways, does that help?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted