External phoney sites linking in

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by yameth, Mar 19, 2019.

1. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    At the Google search console > Links > Top linked pages externally, there are some funny named sites linking to mine, e.g.

webxsitesx.gq
    erwaeghnt.cf
    villagerfi.tk
    mendeyliani.cf
    wiadomxoscisq.cf

When I follow the links they are scam sites "Congratulations you won a Galaxy S9 etc."

Is anyone aware of such a situation and what do they have to gain from doing this?

Thanks.

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,269
    They do it because they think it helps gain traction in Google for outbound links. But it doesn't, Google is pretty good at knowing what's real and what's not, and unless you have a "bad neighborhood" penalty don't worry about them. If you do have a penalty, disavow them.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+782
    You can use the disavow tool to take care of em :)

4. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    Thanks. I haven't had a penalty but I will disavow them to be sure.

5. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    It is a strange phenomenon though. These bogus sites, somehow carry pages with content from legit sites (rss?) and though there's mostly no css, the internal looking links direct elsewhere. I don't know how to explain this, but after looking at a few of them, it seems that they do it to many other sites too.
    e.g. http://tickis.gq/ which is a copy of some other site.

6. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+782
    Yeah I don't get it. I had some really weird stuff coming up when I looked through all of my backlinks

7. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    Actually I don't think it's as harmless as it seems.
    I did a Google search on a sentence that is found on my site and there were no results from my domain.

But... there were results from the phony sites with half the url changed like this:
    https://www.trnafilai.ga/community/profile/5621-r2d2/

community/profile/5621-r2d2/ is part of my url showing the profile of the member (me) that uploaded it. The domain is changed though!
    And if you follow it, it leads to a scam deal.
    They are actually stealing my traffic.
    Attached is part of the results. Sorry for the greek.

Anyone else on this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  8. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+782
    Not really sure what I'm looking at here but you might want to post in the Google Webmaster forums about what is going on.

Do you have noindex on your profile page to make it not show up in google on your site? Do you have any manual actions on your account in the webmaster tools?

9. yameth

yameth Aspirant

+3
    No there is no noindex on the profile page and no manual actions... yet.
    But it seems that these guys are backlinking and at the same time somehow also rip links and content that show on google search instead of mine. Confusing. Some of them had "Warning: Suspected Phishing Site Ahead!" from cloudflare.com.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  10. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+782
    Yeah, I would hop on the webmaster central forums and see if any of their staff end up replying and can manually fix the issue for you.

And you've not received any DMCAs from these scrapers? If anything, I would send a DMCA through Google to get their pages removed.

11. overcast

overcast Adherent

+60
    Ignore them. Google usually sandbox them as it is. You can also delink them in search console I guess. But that being said, we don't have control over who can link us. So ignoring often works because lot of bots and RSS feeds links randomly offering no value.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.