Everyone online is an expert.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Guerrera, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Guerrera

Guerrera Participant

+10
    I heard it online. That means I heard it from an expert. And everyone online is an expert, right?

I find it funny when I hear this sort of advice from bloggers and keybashers - 'be the leading authority in your field'. Every website gives the same information - 'become an expert' - 'write a multitude of articles' - 'show people that you are the foremost authority in .. whatever'.

Maybe this is why the internet is bursting to the brim with pure unadulterated crap. Because everyone who's gotten it into their head that they should start a community site now believes that they are God. They talk with an air of knowledgeable superiority while they rehash everything that a million other people already know.

So they take their expert knowledge of copy and paste (and maybe a big of creative writing), add in a few lines to make their articles seem original - and there we go! Another load of meaningless, worthless drivel from a supposed 'expert'. This is why I don't think article marketing is worthwhile. At all. Because eventually the credibility of article sites like ezine or hubpages is going to be so low, the burst traffic benefits are going to negligible. And I still don't understand this magical theory that if I post on their site.. I'm promoting mine. It seems their benefit would be thousand-fold compared to mine. I don't see how this is even viable.

I'm taking the example of Apple.. a company that protects their content religiously and allow no cross-platform or open-source use. The model they have very obviously works because.. well, look at Apple. Would they be as successful if they offered their apps through other companies and in other formats?

And google agrees with me because their new filtering algorithm is killing the chances of most of this bloated BS content being read (and sadly, some of the truly useful, original content also).

So maybe people should stop and think about their position for a second before they assert themselves as an expert, only to get put in their place by a web audience that's perhaps a little smarter than they thought. And maybe to add a touch of reality to the mix, we should add a subheading to the 'content is king' motto.

Content is king .. but unless you have the $$$, it's a sloooow ride.

2. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+410

I'm not sure if anything is different from today with the number of experts out there than there are today.

The net's almost instant connectivity makes things seem different, yeah. We get more access to more writings of more of the world's population, and we're beginning to see more peeps who had been marginalized by a more physical world now having tools to become expressive and make their voice heard.

There's some nice work out there with "long tail"...the fact that as the net gets more and more pervasive, smaller and smaller points of view get the ability to make more and more money cuz they are able to find their own specific target/niche audiences, hence make money. This doesn't really have to do with money or loudness of voice...it has to do with answers.

For me, answers is really what it's all about. Eveyone is still asking questions, and there are strange sites out there, the long tails, ultra niches that are experts and have answers, hence their popularity. I'd just come to realize my niche gaming site is a good example of this. We neve paid a cent for advertising, we were too busy having fun putting out stuff we thought was fun, but was actually answers.

Links for people to buy this strange game
    Maps for people to be better at playing this strange game
    One of the world's largest wiki's for people to be better at playing this strange game.
    Quest guides for people to be better at playing this strange game.

See where we go with this?

You don't need money. You just need the world's best answers at what you're expert or loved at writing about.

And it can be about anything.

:)

gogo

3. And then there are the so-called 'experts' who claim the title by dissing everything that has come before without adding anything new or valid to the discussion - and not giving valid or helpful answers. You'd think they'd dry up and blow away, but people keep falling for their line of BS.

4. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Post no bills

+315
    I'm not sure how it happened, but the world seems to have been taken over by marketing. The days when you needed extensive training and experience in something before you would consider speaking out about it have disappeared. I guess we don't have time for all that silliness. Now you just need to set up a website then print up some cards that say you're an expert and people believe it.

Used WordPress a couple of times and know how to use cPanel? Great! you're a web expert. Spend a lot of your free time on Facebook and twitter? Hire yourself out as a Social Media expert. All of it would be funny if it wasn't true and real companies weren't hiring these people.

5. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+2,010
    So you're saying that not everyone online is an expert? I'm sorry, but I just can't trust you on that. :p

6. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+174
    Sure everyone is. I am an expert too... Just not in matters of internet, creating of forums, SEO or.... but I know about *mumble*

7. 01Aaron

01Aaron Aspirant

+1
    :banana: Me, too. :D

8. Guerrera

Guerrera Participant

+10
    I deem this thread blasphemous and offensive!

Trust me, I'm a web expert.

Oh wait, I'm the one who posted it.

9. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+174
    That probably means you know best :D

10. Caliope

Caliope Hello cheeky

+398
    I think Guerrera has hit the nail on the head.

Everywhere you look there are 'experts', even here on TAZ.

On all of the forums I visit there are 'experts' and 'gurus' sharing their wisdom.

Here, someone will post a situation they are in and without the full facts of the situation others post their (uninformed) opinions without knowing the type of forum the 'situation' is on. Unfortunately, we have become a world of keyboard warriors hiding behind a screen and not experiencing the consequences of our opinions.

11. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,881
    Keyboard warriors *sigh* that's a topic all of its own.

12. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+174
    Still, the fact is that there ARE (especially here at TAZ) people who know their stuff and if someone poses a question they will get answers, which are as good as the available information allows. Not to say that we don't have our fair share of "quickies", people who draw conclusions and give help without really taking everything into account and/or posting things from the safety of their homes and as you put it "from behind their screens", but I believe you are more likely to get valuable information how to handle any affair here than at most other places.

13. Guerrera

Guerrera Participant

+10
    I just think if people talked about what they actually knew.. even if they didn't know anything at all... that they would admit they know nothing. If people weren't so caught up in trying to be somebody.. things would be a lot better in the online realm. And offline.

14. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+2,010
    That's because the internet is THE place to show off.

• Unpopular in school and want to become a popular kid? - Come on down to the internet!
    • Want to yell your opinions right into other's faces without real life ramifications? - Come on down to the internet!
    • Want to look like a sexy model when discussing things with people but you're far too ugly to get away with it IRL? - Come on down to the internet!

Sadly, that's the internet for you. Give people any ability to role play and they'll take it and try to act perfect.

As for the know-it-all attitude so common in the forum admin scene, why are most admins admins? Obviously there must be thoughts in each and every one's heads that they're fit to be leaders, and too often that leads to attempts to act perfect and one up each other... honestly, I think anyone who's ever been a forum admin is guilty of that to some degree, but some take it to an extreme.

It's really sort of like mating, now let us sit back and observe the sort of like mating habits of the common forum admin.

15. I think you've hit it on the head - but then there's the problem of those who claim to know their stuff (and they might) but their views are so skewed as to make their advice questionable if not worthless. But they will never admit that they're spouting opinion, not fact.

(Writing forums and fan forums are a case in point - There are 'experts' who insist that the only possible interpretation of Spock and Kirk's relationship in STTOS is a gay one. I don't care that some people believe it, but demanding that it's the only way it can be just tells me that the 'expert' has the markings of a troll. )

You mean, we can watch it in public? :lildevil:

16. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+174
    I feel so not part of the internet culture if you put it that way...
    Pretending to be different from what you really are sounds so... exhausting. Sure, displaying certain virtues and playing down other vices makes sense, but showing off and pretending to be somewhat else... gosh... No, thanks.

17. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+2,010
    If I had a quarter for every guy pretending to be a girl and every person of unknown gender pretending to be a model that I've seen on the internet then I'd have somewhere between $1.50 and $1,000,000 worth of quarters.

18. Namorat

Namorat Duder

+174
    I guess I just can't grasp this emotionally... I have no idea what the fun could be to be admired for something I am not.

19. Morganna

Morganna Mistress of Mayhem

+4,881
    Same here. Pretending to be someone I'm not would be tiresome, not to mention having to keep track of whatever personality it is I would be using.

It's not quite as prevalent as it used to be, bit forums and social networking sites are notorious for housing the majority of that particular type of user

20. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+980
    There are a lot of so-called experts out there who tell you to do this or that. My question is how can you be an expert when you've never done any of the things you talk about. Someone who's come up with a lot of plans for forums or websites in general but has never done so and run something very successful is not an expert. He's just some shmuck who's blowing hot air. Personally I view most if not all forum experts or SEO gurus as bullshizzle artists who talk the talk but cannot walk the walk. They're just useless individuals taking up valuable space on this planet.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted