Ever been banned for no real reason?

walton007

Enthusiast
Hey,

In this topic you may share your stories - expieriences about getting banned on a forum(s) that you feel where not justified.

Of course an admin or mod has the final verdict and chooses when to ban. But that doesn't make it a correct ban for a good reason.

This isn't the topic to flame a forum or give a certain person a bad name.

Just share your story of why you think you got banned and why it wasn't right without mentioning which board you got banned on.

I'll start:

I been banned 3 times now in a recent period.

Twice for this:
Joining a proboards forum signing up with the username "master41260" PM'd the guy in charge with:
Hello,

Would you be interested to get interviewed?

Regards,
Matt.

Not even a link and yet I get banned when checking if I got any reply for that PM.

Probably due my numbers in my name they think I'm a spam bot. °_°

Third time which was just yesterday I signed up on a forum under "Max Pen". I got banned for Pm'ing a moderator asking if the person wanted to get interviewed.

I did this cause the owner didn't want to get interviewed so I just go down 1 level and ask a mod.

Next thing I know I'm banned for spamming.

What is the reason in that? I don't know by who I got banned, by the owner or by the mod but still is a simple reply with "no thank you" to hard??

I just sent 1 PM to the owner and 1 PM to the mod, so two Pm's are considered spamming?
------------------------------------
Please share your stories as well and ask others what they think about your situation.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Directly contacting through email with a small introduction would be to expect. Its no wonder an anonymous inquirer would get flagged as a baiter.

Afraid I got no story to share myself, other than that time a mybb antispam plugin was breaking loose and banning legitimate members for editing their posts more than once under 10 minutes (swiftly corrected, though with neither thanks or apologies).

echo_off

Ponders things of unknowable validity
Hey,

In this topic you may share your stories - expieriences about getting banned on a forum(s) that you feel where not justified.

Of course an admin or mod has the final verdict and chooses when to ban. But that doesn't make it a correct ban for a good reason.

This isn't the topic to flame a forum or give a certain person a bad name.

Just share your story of why you think you got banned and why it wasn't right without mentioning which board you got banned on.

I'll start:

I been banned 3 times now in a recent period.

Twice for this:
Joining a proboards forum signing up with the username "master41260" PM'd the guy in charge with:

Not even a link and yet I get banned when checking if I got any reply for that PM.

Probably due my numbers in my name they think I'm a spam bot. °_°

Third time which was just yesterday I signed up on a forum under "Max Pen". I got banned for Pm'ing a moderator asking if the person wanted to get interviewed.

I did this cause the owner didn't want to get interviewed so I just go down 1 level and ask a mod.

Next thing I know I'm banned for spamming.

What is the reason in that? I don't know by who I got banned, by the owner or by the mod but still is a simple reply with "no thank you" to hard??

I just sent 1 PM to the owner and 1 PM to the mod, so two Pm's are considered spamming?
------------------------------------
Please share your stories as well and ask others what they think about your situation.

I'm not surprised you got banned. Signing up just to ask someone to be interviewed.

But on another note, I have been banned for no reason. Something went wrong with my account on a forum. I joined up again, and I got banned for making two accounts.

walton007

Enthusiast
I'm not surprised you got banned. Signing up just to ask someone to be interviewed.

Like it ever happens someone asks a site owner to get interviewed... So no I don't understand why your not surprised.

I didn't share a link so it can't be considered spamming.

I done it that way on tons of forums never got banned but on those 3 I mentioned.

So no I don't consider it a normal reaction to ban me for just asking such a question through PM.

Directly contacting through email with a small introduction would be to expect. Its no wonder an anonymous inquirer would get flagged as a baiter.

I don't always have the e-mail...

Postworker23

Aspirant
I have been banned two times from an investment forum although I have only registered there and not have posted anything.

Kall

Devotee
Apparently, Googlebombing a site with the phrase "Web Nazis" is enough to cop a lifetime ban.

*whistles innocently*

RWenger

Participant
Like it ever happens someone asks a site owner to get interviewed... So no I don't understand why your not surprised.

I didn't share a link so it can't be considered spamming.

I done it that way on tons of forums never got banned but on those 3 I mentioned.

So no I don't consider it a normal reaction to ban me for just asking such a question through PM.

Think about it for a second - If you admin a board yourself, you are all too familiar with spam. Spam is impersonal. Your message is highly impersonal. Take a minute to customize your message with something like

Hey, I stumbled across your forum and I have enjoyed it so far. I really like [X Feature, theme, etc], and I was wondering if maybe you would want to do an interview for InterviewedYou.com to discuss this [feature, theme, etc] and other aspects of your forum.

Thanks for your consideration!

[username or your name]

If I received a PM with "Would you like to be interviewed?", I wouldn't ban you, but I would watch you very closely after replying to get more information from you.

I have never been banned from a forum as far as I recall.

Last edited:

walton007

Enthusiast
Think about it for a second - If you admin a board yourself, you are all too familiar with spam. Spam is impersonal. Your message is highly impersonal. Take a minute to customize your message with something like

I know. Most would feel suspicious or not understand what I want from my first PM but when I give them the details it usually works out fine and they agree to get interviewed.

If I received a PM with "Would you like to be interviewed?", I wouldn't ban you, but I would watch you very closely after replying to get more information from you.

I wait with giving the details because I don't know yet if they are interested to know more.

So if they reply with a question usually like:

"what for?"

"about what?"

etc...

I give them all the details.

I have never been banned from a forum as far as I recall.

I wish I could say that but I'm lucky to be only banned on forums I have almost no posts on. Never been banned on a forum I'm active on.

adbrad

Habitué
I got banned for telling the admin of the forum to shove it.

BSMedia

Adherent
I got banned at v7n apparently. Thing is I didn't login to the site for years so I had no clue up until about a week ago.

No sweat off my back though, the site wasn't that great when I was a member there and from the looks of things it sucks worse now.

Edit: come to think of it, it was probably for telling the owner he was nuts if he thought that site was worth 100k.

Taylor

Sexier Than You
No user is banned for no reason--only for reasons that they disagree with. ;)

Wayne Luke

Tazmanian
Never in a forum based community. I got banned from a Facebook Group once because I messaged the Admin of the group about a spammer and asked a question if they were looking for additional Admins. She said I had a Bold Character and banned me.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Not that I know of. Admins who ban for silly or no reason at all shouldn't be managing a community. You shouldn't do something if you can't control your impulses and or emotions.

IntoxNitram

Enthusiast
I have never been banned for a silly reason. In fact I have only been banned from one forum and I most likely deserved that because I did not tend to get on well with the admin or members.

NaturalMama

Aspirant
I would not ban you but would not feel inclined to respond either. We get media requests and I like that they all have the courtesy to briefly explain what they want instead of relying on me to draw the information out of them. If they do that then even if I do not want to work with them I let them know.

I got banned from a forum after I stepped down as admin. I did not ask why as I had no real interest in staying on there with the powercrazy owner ( actually me telling her that may have been the reason :D)

glagrow

Participant
Yes, I was banned from a large Disney forum. Not because I now have my own. I had joined to become part of community. I followed all rules and contributed to the board without publishing my Disney site or travel agency background. The board offered paid membership so I decided I like the people and would pay.

After 5 weeks there was no indication that I was now a "supporter" I pm'd the admin and a mod, both would look into it. After 3 more weeks I finally decided to withdraw my paypal payment ($60 for year) and that's when I finally heard from someone.

I was banned by the admin. That's when I thought I could l do better myself and I have since started my own Disney board.

JulieVA

Habitué
When someone is banned, the reason is always "good" for the person doing the banning. For the person who was banned, the reason is never good.

I have been banned for having unpopular opinions, for having too nice of a life, and for being honest.

And, you know what, I don't care :D

JulieVA

Habitué
Not that I know of. Admins who ban for silly or no reason at all shouldn't be managing a community. You shouldn't do something if you can't control your impulses and or emotions.

I think of it like this - a forum is like someone's house. They can UNinvite you at anytime...

rockerfox

Enthusiast
I was banned for stupid reasons like using the word "the" and posting image macros and such.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
I think of it like this - a forum is like someone's house. They can UNinvite you at anytime...

For breaching the rules of the community. If someone pisses you off without breaking the rules and you ban them for having an emotional run or you can't put up with their opinion (Usually this happens as a result of a political discussion.) then I don't recommend that person owning a board. It's very common and is so easy to ruin a community with.