Emailing Users

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by ibaker, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:12 AM.

1. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+200
    I have around 12,000 users but naturally a lot of them have dropped off using my site. I have added many new features and want to send out an email to the old users however I have come across a problem and need advise.

I tried sending out 100 emails and I get many bounce backs and not all of the bounce backs are due to incorrect email addresses but when an ISP receives a couple of emails from me to addresses that are no longer operational, they bounce back all further emails even if the address IS current as they think it is spam.

Example of the bounced back messages I get from emails sent to users with an isp are:
    xxx@internode.on.net
    SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host ipmailmx.internode.on.net [192.231.203.138]:
    550 Too many invalid recipients

Any idea how I can overcome this

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:20 AM
  2. Threadloom

Threadloom Sponsor

+89
    Sending out small amounts of emails is smart, so great thinking there.
    Did you use another service like kickbox.com to ensure your addresses aren't flagged?

3. Wes of StarArmy

Wes of StarArmy Adherent

+144
    When I email I usually filter the list to only user who logged in during the last three months or something so I hit less dead emails.

4. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,256
    Fair strategy for ongoing / regular email bursts.

But would defeat the purpose for this, which is to try & re-engage all inactive users.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.