Eight Years of Facebook Was Enough For Me

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Jim McClain, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
    Facebook gives people a platform to illustrate just how bad they can be and allows them to get away with it. If you remove controls from society you get anarchy, online life is the same. I'm not advocating policing the Internet, but if you remove the control rods from a reactor it's going to go wild; Facebook didn't just allow the rods to be removed, it threw them away.

Facebook evil? Facebook narcissistic? Facebook making people worse? Nah! not all by itself, but it has given people the platform to perpetrate all of these defaming traits. Does that make it responsible? Probably, in many instances, but most definitely 100% accountable! But FB isn't out there on it's own, there are others that are just as culpable. The term 'Social Media' is a misnomer as it certainly doesn't bring out the 'social' aspects that people are capable of, generally it brings out the worst and doesn't just allow it, it wallows in it.

Forums are a better option (not perfect by any means) and better alternative to so-called Social Media. Hopefully, somewhere along the line, the glorious days of healthy debate and heated discussions will return; but, if we want those days to return we must somehow keep the fires burning and keep the faith.

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. zoomer_

zoomer_ Aspirant

+7
    I guess, no one's intention was to make anyone else delete their profile. It should be a personal preference, no need to do what everyone else does. And yeah I agree with you FB has been on the market for years and helped established some long-lasting connection with the people from our pasts. When I think about it- yes, there has to be something made against the exploitation of personal information! However, when it comes to people deleting their profiles... Your information is already out there, not like you can revise that :cautious: There is really nothing you can do about it. Every social media platform, every e-mail, phone, browsing, etc are tracked so you can't hide

3. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Of All Trades ❤

+4,962
    That's called a 'false' sense of security...

Perhaps people who were wrapped up in a false sense of security is tiring of Facebook.
    I certainly am not. I enjoy it.

You cannot possibly be serious.
    Some of the things I've seen shared on SnapChat are some of the most vulgar, time-limited, self-explosive **** ever.
    Possibly you have had a different experience with it... IDK - but wow. And Twitter has been called out for having allowed THE MOST uninformational, "fake news" (shout out to Tennessee and Texas .. how embarrassing) type stories which swayed the 2016 election. So ... I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about. Twitter has been around just about as long as Facebook. it hasn't nearly the numbers that Facebook has. And I personally don't think it ever will. But IDK... Seems highly hypocritical that you'd point to SnapChat & Twitter as a platforms that will take the place of Facebook, based on some fantasy about them being more ethical enterprises. False hope much?...

Actually - MySpace was tasked with the concept of re-inventing itself in order to get on Facebook level.
    Facebook has been criticized and tasked with only tightening up security so that personal data isn't abused.
    There's a poignant distinction between the two tasks. I implore you to know it.

Exactly what I'm trying to enunciate. But I slightly disagree with Facebook being responsible for people being absolute asses.
    It's funny - because as conservative pundits like to say "guns don't kill people - people kill people..." I'd say use the same logic and it's not Facebook's responsibility to police the ever single post made on the site. That's called "mission impossible" ... But they DO INDEED try and we should acknowledge them for that, as opposed to blaming them for horrific peoples' actions. Facebook ain't killing people...

I disagree. I've had some of the most intelligible political debates with a slew of highly educated friends.
    It has been social actually - and mostly polite, although political and religious discussion do have a penchant for flame wars.
    It seems that some of you guys have experienced horrifia (is that a word?) ... And you cannot blame that on Facebook. Instead - re-evaluate your friends!

Well... I can appreciate your commentary. Truly.
    What I'd tend to reply with though - is that Facebook is not some big bad entity that, with malicious intent, is out there to swallow your data and use it in malicious forms. And even if they were ... Facebook is a free platform that USERS ACTUALLY DO OPT INTO!!!! There are a myriad of settings so that you can have a more private experience. IDK... I just don't understand the bulk of animus being posted on TAZ.

I'd like to say that the majority of my FB friends are my classmates, family and actual friends, with some frienemies I'm sure LOL.
    They are not sharing the amount of animus and do not think Facebook such the detriment as shared in our fellow TAZ mates' commentary.

J.

4. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
    I would say that you have been one of the lucky few. When I had a FB account I saw a lot of people being incredibly stupid to the point where friends (so-called) and families have broken up because of differences, mainly political, of opinion. I also saw people (not on my friends list) getting into ridiculous arguments and lacing them with insults and threats. I've viewed someone who has had something not so nice happen to them and the result is damning of humanity with outrageous comments such as 'kill him/her', 'beat the living crap out of him/her' and far, far worse. People have committed suicide because of the trash that's posted on FB. So, yeah, whilst FB isn't directly responsible for all this trash, they have provided the means for that trash to become public and widespread without any moderation; don't you think they have a moral and ethical duty to curb it, monitor it and delete it as appropriate.

There are rules on this forum (and many others) that give a clear understanding of what and what isn't acceptable and they have means in which to monitor, curb and delete it as appropriate and that's what they do. FB should be doing the same, not to mention putting a stop to all the FAKE NEWS that it allows on its platform that stirs up more trouble that can be imagined for people.

If it were up to me I'd close FB down wipe it clean and start afresh, but this time get it right, because as of now FB has got it all wrong; maybe after this current debacle they will make an effort to clean it up, but I very much doubt that we will see much happening in the near future that will make a huge difference.

FB has moved away from what it was intended to be - in a galaxy far, far away where reality is fiction.

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,493
    With all due respect, you earlier posted an example of it bringing out the worst in people:

"When I see a meme or some such which is obviously 'fake news' (OH GAWD I HATE THE TERM = THANKS TRUMP meh...) it's thrilling to point out the inaccuracies. " <--- Getting a thrill from it, doesn't that kind of lean towards narcissism?

"I've connected with highschool classmates & friends & family that I've not seen in years. I especially appreciate that - because there aren't many other opportunities -- especially for someone like me who is a bit reclusive and a loner -- to actually make such connections."​

I once did that, then I realized there was a reason they didn't bother to stay in touch, and a reason I didn't bother either --- and unfriended almost all of them. Those I really care about, I pick up the phone now and then to talk to them if they aren't nearby, otherwise I see them face to face. Keeping them around so I can argue with them about news, politics, etc....?

Using social media because one is reclusive and a loner only further enables such behavior. Its easier to stay reclusive and not build real physical connections with people. It provides short-term blips of socializing while actually increasing isolation.

Social Media Exacerbates Perceived Social Isolation
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...-media-exacerbates-perceived-social-isolation

Research Links Heavy Facebook And Social Media Usage To Depression
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitch...ocial-media-usage-to-depression/#5daebe2c4b53

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Yappi

Yappi Enthusiast

+61
    Again, I have the opposite view. Facebook was built on a false sense of security. They were ALWAYS gathering info about you. They were ALWAYS selling your data. If Facebook was run by the government, they would call it "Big Brother."

7. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Enthusiast

+45
    I like facebook a lot for what is is. For me it allows me to keep in contact with friends/relatives and see what is going on. Also makes it easy to setup events.
    The data sales does not have much of impact for me I rather have targeted ads then untargeted ads.

8. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+74
    Sadly some people only lodge events via FB, like our ham radio club. Don't find out to the last minute and on the radio "Sign up for our transmitter hunt on fb." Used to be able do it via email or on the radio itself.

9. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+468
    I have lots of family all over the world, and we find it easy to connect through facebook. Sure it's got problems but so does the annual family hoohaah with beer, bbq and finger pointing about .
    Facebook is just the beginning of more and more of the world getting "connected" ...
    next step...
    telepathy

:)

gogo

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  10. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+74
    And Zuck will figure a way to inject and monetize our telepathic streams....:LOL:

11. HTML

HTML Big Board Coder

+36
    Really considering deleting my page, too... unfortunately, it's considered one of those "must-have" things.

12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,454
    Although they would probably deny it especially in the current climate, social media platforms already employ techniques designed to tap into your subconscious and keep you engaged.

One technique is persuasive design and Facebook is the daddy of all persuasive design. As an example there are reasons why notifications are always in red. Red notifications trigger Cortisol, the stress hormone which creates an emotional need to resolve the notification. Loss aversion and sunk-cost fallacy strategies are also used in social media and gaming apps, all designed to keep you engaged.

Social media is addictive by design and some neuroscientists believe we've only just scratched the surface of what's to come. I suspect data privacy worries will prove fairly insignificant when people start to realise how their subconscious is being manipulated and as yet there's not a single safeguard to stop that. In fact nobody is even talking about it.

If all this sounds over the top, try doing some research. Dopamine Labs is a good place to start.

13. Matthew S

Matthew S Enthusiast

+150
    Heck , even O'Reilly has a textbook on mining social media: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030195.do

Everyone does it, and everyone will keep doing it. There'll be some hand-wringing and some platitudes, and then things will go back to "normal".

14. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
    Until something bad happens to them, then all hell will break loose and will eventually settle somewhat; however, such an incident will, perhaps, starting people thinking more and give them some impetus to take responsibility for their data instead of leaving it to someone else.

I'm not so sure that things will go back to normal - there are too many safeguards to be implemented that will change the shape of the SM networks, not to mention other businesses that handle huge amounts of peoples PII. The GDPR and other such regulations implemented by different states will somehow amalgamate and merge into very similar regulations. The number of continuous data breaches that have happened is bringing these regulations to life and businesses (all businesses) are going to have to man up and take more responsibility for people's data; that in itself is going to change how we use the internet, so I doubt very much that it will be 'business as usual'.

;)

15. PoetJC

PoetJC ❤ Jacq Of All Trades ❤

+4,962
    I've been away from my desk for the past few days so apologies for the delayed reply. And #WOW
    I didn't realize my comments would illicit such response LOL... But I probably should have realized that they would simply based on my slight disagreement with the entire gist of this thread... Anyway...

Actually.... Probably one of the unlucky few.
    There was an incident that I posted about on Facebook that blew up. Atomic bomb type ****. And for those of you who know about it - I'll cordially ask that we not discuss it here on TAZ... But I'd posted in a FB group my experience with a local veterinarian who failed me in (what still seems to me anyway) a most incredible way. So I took actions that a lot of people didn't agree with. The situation blew up to the fact that I was interviewed by 2 local news stations. It was a most horrific experience and I want to cry about it right now to be perfectly honest.

So... I can definitely understand the downside of a social media platform. Much more than most I would say.
    But the positives (IMO) far outweigh the negatives.

I've not a narcissistic bone in my body. :eek:
    And when I say thrilled... Please don't misconstrue it to mean a little child's fantasy of playing devious debate games or some such. You insinuate a negative thought process, when the comment I made should not automatically lead you to such a negative thought process! I'm rather surprised by this comment.

I've had some very inspirational conversations on Facebook. Whether they be political issues, personal issues, or the gambit of various issues - I consider myself a better person for having had the opportunity to engage with folks who might have a slightly different perspective than myself. I'd say 90% of the interaction has contributed to my betterment actually. I've had a lot of support from people all over the globe, and it's especially nice to know that people I grew up with actually offer the moral support I need, that wasn't necessarily given back in the day. Narcissism? No. Perhaps that's been your experience - but it hasn't been mine as concerns my Facebook addiction.

And you know I've a few personal issues that I'm working through .... Facebook has been a bit of a balm for my social anxiety. In fact - it has served as a sort of therapy if I'm to be honest. I'd go as far to say that Facebook has made me a better person. Again... I think the positives of Facebook far outweigh the negatives.

I'm sorry that you disagree and that my own positive experience with Facebook hasn't been your own.

Well...
    Big Brother goes by several names...

Ha! Love you gogoblendergogoblender and hope you're doing well dude.
    Do you think Star Trek Next Generation may have in a not-so-subtle way predicted such a phenomenon with the introduction of Deanna Troi, the telepathic Betazoid? LOL... I mean ... Now-a-days you see folks walking around with their various tablets and devices, as if they were strolling through a corridor of the Enterprise right? So... Perhaps... Moving forward... Special connection powers?.. LOL

Superb observation.
    And something I've personally (and silently) considered like ... forever. Or at least since my initial, paranoid views as concerns Facebook.
    The only thing is ... When you realize such a manipulation *can* take place - you're conscious of it and own a weapon against the subconscious manipulation. Nobody's talking about it ... because welcome to the world.

But ... Can't the same thing be said of news stations, news papers, radio and most everything else.
    I think what I have an issue with is just the insinuation that -- and in some circumstances the downright naming of -- Facebook as evil.
    I simply disagree.

J.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  16. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,493
    Okay, let me rephrase that, or at least put it into context.

I wasn't calling you narcissistic. All humans (that I've met at least, lol), have some narcissism. I recall the first time I read Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" (don't get it wrong from the title, the book is about putting others first, treating people right, etc)... one of the things that stuck out was his saying the most important word a person can hear is their own name, so make it a point to remember their name, because human beings are naturally interested in.... themselves. Our name, our opinions (politics, etc), etc are all parts of the bits of narcism, but it doesn't make us narcissistic.

Facebook is designed around that entire model, but not in a way where we serve others and put them first. Look at what I ate, vote for my guy/gal, look at my vacation, "Like" if you like what I like, you are wrong about this issue let me correct you, and so on. Forums have it to some extent, but it can depend on the community and moderation.

And with politics, I do not discuss it with close friends online, only face to face. Over the years 99% of those I've seen on FB when politics come up its not about sharing our views like we would face to face, but rather to "be right". In a place like FB, doing so rarely changes people's minds, emotional context isn't there.

So please don't take it as an attack, it wasn't meant that way. Rather, I was trying to illustrate how I believe places like FB ultimately serve to further divide people about politics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
  18. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,454
    There's a definite backlash but it's also a thing to rage quit social media for the publicity followed of course by a public denial that it was for the publicity...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/16/jd-wetherspoon-closes-all-social-media-accounts

Yeah right :D

19. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+646
    I suppose if FB cleaned up its act, businesses that have left (and The Public) would possibly return, but I suppose that would depend on how much it is cleaned up. I can imagine that the likes of Google could capitalise on this departure from FB, but that would depend on how 'dirty' Google's Google+ is lol.

The whole of Social Media is badly in need of an overhaul, it's been a 'free for all' for far too long and behaviour on there that would normally have been intolerable in society, has been normalised within and it's mirroring that accepted behaviour outside on our streets.

Long live a return to forums where good discussions and debate can take place without it devolving into the mire that SM has become; at least most forum owners have the good sense to moderate and control the behaviour on their sites.

;)

20. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,262
    Probably goes into a side-topic, but moderation on FB groups has always been an issue. In groups where content moves fast, unless a member of the group flags a post as a problem an admin of the group can quite easily miss it. The moderation abilities leave a lot to be desired, it's not like forums where the software itself has its own functionality that helps filter out spam, etc, which aids the moderation team.

Then you have to look at the fact that anyone and their dog can open a page/group. Forums take effort - you need hosting, software, enough savvy to understand how to upload, update, install - or the money to get someone to do it for you. To make a page/group on FB all it takes is a click - this means absolutely anyone (some who should really be locked in a room and have the key thrown away lol) can make a group and spew whatever crap is going through their heads. Granted, there are some forum admins who belong in this category too, but they're fewer and less likely to have the reach that groups on FB do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted