Eight Years of Facebook Was Enough For Me

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by Jim McClain, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+542
    A little more than 8 years ago (Oct. 2010), I signed up to facebook. I got hooked on all the likes and the friends counts and enjoyed seeing my photos get shared and commented on. But a couple years ago, I started seeing a lot of misinformation, usually in the form of memes and drive-by posts, that my friends posted without even the slightest care that it was truthful. They came from liberals, conservatives and middle-of-the-roaders.

I resisted commenting on most of them, but sometimes I just couldn't help myself. I found myself searching out bad memes just to point out how they did more harm than good. I would research and post links to sites that proved they were lies, only to be met with claims that the sites I linked to were biased and themselves wrong. Of course, those people didn't provide any proof or corroboration. I discovered that most people would claim a site was biased if it showed the poster to be wrong. To hear them tell it, every single fact-checking site on the Internet is owned and operated by nefarious individuals with nary an ounce of credibility.

It got so I was developing physical problems - sore neck, back pain, headaches; I was having difficulty sleeping and even gaining weight. I finally realized I needed to get away from facebook, delete my account and not look back. I wrote a little about it on my personal blog: https://1footinthegrave.com/letting-go-of-facebook/ and I've already deleted my other social media accounts on LinkedIn and Twitter. Monday night, my account on facebook, including the pages I set up for my forum and my tourist site will be deleted. I have a lot of friends who only use facebook and follow my photography, so I wanted to let them know.

I'm a drug addict with almost 33 years of sobriety and I have found myself with addictive behavior characteristics since then, so I'm guessing dropping facebook will cause a bit of anxiety. But I know I'll be better off without it. Having a facebook page for my forum and a tourism site has not actually been beneficial for the websites. That's not to say others haven't been able to leverage some value out of it for their sites. I think this is a good decision though.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,385
    Sounds like a smart move Jim. I totally understand what your talking about. Its frustrating to say the least that you cannot have a discussion based in fact anymore.

3. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+946
    Good move Jim.

Being able to not only recognize a change you need, but execute it, is really amazing. Kudos to you for that.

Personally, at 34 years old, I've still yet to feel even a single twinge of desire for Facebook. Never had one, don't plan on it, and I've never once felt like I was missing out on something.

I don't have Twitter, but do have LinkedIn. LinkedIn has actually gotten me some headhunter conversations.

Honestly happy for you. I bet you'll feel like your getting over a bad, 8 year head cold soon enough :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  4. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+242
    Indeed, that's a great move you made and an even better one recognising the issues it may have presented to you. I joined FB many years back, before most here (UK) knew about it. I left it 4 years ago; one of the best things I ever did. I often get asked about my info and people look at me with shock when I say "Not on there".. as if I am meant to be on there.

Which is all that matters, so kudos to you. ;)

5. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+891
    100% spot on. I deleted my FB account and all the other SM accounts too, basically for the same reason as you Jim. People I had known for a veritable lifetime were like complete strangers, being drawn into that sinister world of fake news and swallowing it all hook-line-and-sinker. It's as though they had had their personalities wiped and some nefarious new psyche had been imprinted onto their brains.

I would NEVER go back to any type of SM sites; I prefer forums where you can have a sensible (often heated lol) debate that is based on facts.

I detest FB et-al with a passion, but that's another story to be told in front on a nice warm fire with a good whisky/rum and friends that are not glued to their mobile phones, desperately seeking attention, from shallow people.

;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+315
    I've never truly had a Facebook account, only one with a fake name, blank page, no picture. I use it to manage pages for my sites and advertising.
    Never liked anything, never commented or posted. Facebook is poison.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  7. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+242
    Hear hear!

• List
  8. Yappi

Yappi Enthusiast

+68
    I think the "great-awakening" is starting to happen. Whether it's safety, privacy, jealousy, or politics, people are starting to see the underbelly of the beast that has been there all along. Unfortunately, I think some people are too addicted to pull themselves away but as people keep dropping out, that addictiveness will start to fade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+758
    I've always said it ain't the drug we get addicted to, it's the dopamine the drug causes our system to release. It doesn't even have to be a consumed substance, it can and often is internet activity. The reward centers of the brain still release dopamine. Humans can and do get physically and emotionally addicted to facebook and other sites where we share, including even, message boards.

Saw a magazine article where one of the facebook presidents was saying they intentionally designed it to be, addictive. Sean Parker.

“The thought process was all about, ‘How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?’,” he said. “And that means that we need to sort of give you a little dopamine hit every once in a while, because someone liked or commented on a photo or a post or whatever, and that’s going to get you to contribute more content, and that’s going to get you more likes and comments. It’s a social validation feedback loop. … You’re exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.”

LINK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. Bigguy

Bigguy W.U.B Owner

+42
    I have facebook but only use it for my business page really. I shoulda never got onto it in the first place. It really does suck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+181
    I've never used FB, LI, or others. Never felt the desire. I used to administer the web proxy/filter for a large company back when MySpace and FB were growing. The amount of managers complaining about staff spending all day on them and trying to have them blocked was incredible. Then the staff would complain that they needed access for work related purposes (keeping in contact with clients). It was a sh*t fight. That probably coloured my opinion at the time.

The Careers people at uni are always harping on about the need for a LI profile, but I never will create one even though it apparently harms my employment prospects. Sometimes taking a principled position comes with consequences that you have to live with.

I'm curious how much stuff they actually collected about you, should you download the data file to see.

12. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+315
    Downloaded my data. It's just HTML pages of blank timeline, inbox, security settings, etc. Nothing about me personally.

• List
  13. zoomer_

zoomer_ Aspirant

+7
    That's a great thing you did! To be honest, I've never had the signs of an addictive personality except for ones. I found myself allowing some social media platforms to have a great influence on me, which was the worst mistake I could ever make. It was so hard to say enough is enough, and I still cannot fully do it... That's why I admire your strength! I stopped using Facebook for 3 years, and I've recently activated my profile again. However, I am not using it as much as I did before and I don't upload or care about likes/shares/comments. I use it mainly to connect with some old friends. I don't understand how come you get addicted to social media. At one point, the first thing I did at morning was opening it and the last thing at night- logging out. Not a good picture!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,330
    Good for you Jim. I'm an addict also so I understand what you mean about it sucking you in. I finally ditched it as well, wasn't really a big user of social media but I found facebook to be so depressing. I also hated the constant contact/snooping that went on. My friend's wife maintained multiple fake accounts just to snoop on everyone she knew. She'd stalk everyone through social media and use it to stir up a bunch of ****. You couldn't take a girl on a date without her stalking them. I blocked her from my page and she'd send friend requests from fake accounts constantly attempting to get back on the list so she could see my posts.

That type of behavior is so common and I've never understood it. Aside from that my main reason for leaving social media was due to my Grandmother/Mother/Dad/other family begin on there. I couldn't talk about anything with a friend or add myself to an event without one of them finding out about it. Put me in a catch 22 situation. I wanted to keep FB just to stay in contact with them and distant family but it just wasn't worth it. If I want to catch up I call them now.

Speaking of, that's the thing I hate most about social media. Everyone knows everything about everyone so you never "catch up" with your friends if you're on there. You end up having nothing to talk about because you already know about all the things they'd been up.

15. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+542
    Something I worried about hasn't seemed to matter: deleting my facebook account meant also losing my facebook API, which allows visitors to my forum to sign up using their facebook accounts. It has been only 4 full days, but there has been no visible decline in registrations. Actually, the average daily new registrations has slightly increased, but I'm not suggesting that is because of the removal of that feature on my forum. It's probably only because Spring has sprung and more people are contemplating remodeling projects this time of year. It's a little early for that, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

16. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Enthusiast

+82
    Congrats on kicking FB to the Kerb. I never had it and never will. A former employer want me to get one for updating their FB page, I refused. They set up a "user" for the page for all the staff to use until FB PKed that. FB has too much control now as some sites only use FB for logging int.

17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,736
    Recent events have prompted me to dig around my Facebook account which I created many years ago to develop platform applications. I do belong to a couple of groups, three to be exact which I don't general contribute to or even look at. I also have one friend which I think was the result of a rather unfortunate miss-click.

I have to say I was both alarmed and impressed at the amount of personal information Facebook has extracted from I don't know where, especially as my account was created using randomly generated info. I also can't even begin to imagine how the one 'friend' found me because it is somebody I unfortunately really do know in the real world.

So now I need to determine how much damage I will do to the 32 sites I've built applications for before I delete my account.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,385
    Maybe not Jim. With consumer confidence up, and people getting more money in their paychecks, combined with tax refunds coming shortly, people might be looking to do projects they normally wouldn't be able to afford to do.

19. sanction9

sanction9 Enthusiast

+68
    I have Facebook and Twitter accounts mainly to use as a log-in for other sites (so I don't have to register with all of them separately) and to enter contests. I'll very occasionally tweet something or use Twitter to check on what someone might be up to lately; and even less often I'll post something to Facebook - almost always just a repost for some cause or another I support - and that's really the extent of my personal involvement with either. I've never thought it a great idea to put all your personal life out there for all the world to see. And it doesn't matter if you have your FB settings set to family and friends only, it all still gets recorded and shared about. It's always seemed kind of creepy to me, but then I didn't grow up with it and was never conditioned to think of it as normal.

Anyway, congrats on being FB free - and for the 33 years of sobriety! :tup:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  20. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,785
    What I plan to do is create a new FB account (personal) with an email address used only for that. Then transfer all my sites admin to it, and then delete my regular FB account. And never post anything with the new personal account. It will be there only because FB requires it to admin the site accounts.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.