Effective use of emoticons to enhance online communication

By hari · Jun 4, 2006 ·
  1. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Thank you so much! I never expected this old article to come up. :)

2. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+507
    Hari, would it be okay if I reprinted this in my forum with a link back to your own writing site?

:)

gogo

3. hari

hari Tazmanian

+46
    Quite frankly, I have no objection. Just give a link back to my blog and my forum. :)

Also let me know the URL where you'll be posting this.

I think you might need the permission of the emoticon creators to to copy some of those images. So be careful about that.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Yes - definitely an asset to TAZ for surely!:tiphat:

Jacquii.

5. Schot

Schot Imagineer

+35
    Fantastic article harishankar and I completely agree with your point of view on how important a role emoticons play within textual conversations. Via text we are missing out on a great deal of the communication package compared to a face to face conversation. Facial expression, tonal expression and even the props that one might grab and use as part of expressing an idea in real life. Emoticons are a great way of filling in the void.

gogo pointed this topic out to me today and we both had a chuckle over your emoticon #6. You see the thing is that a couple of years ago I banned that emoticon from our forum, lol. I'm pretty sure the staff thought I had gone insane but I was adamant about the removal of that little eye roller. It was unfortunate because it can be used in a great way but what I was seeing was that 90% of the time it was used to mock and condescend others. So... Out from our list of selectable emoticons it went. It's nice to read that someone else sees this particular emoticon as having the greatest ability to offend. Maybe I'm not crazy after all. ^^

On the other side of the coin, the happy go lucky side, this one can be a powerful emote when timed right. I see our members use it sparingly and when it is used it seems to give the message so much more impact.

View attachment ai50.tinypic.com_5xokrt.jpg

P.s.
    I really have to say that Kolobok's emoticons are the absolute best on the net. He provides them for free and we use most of his on our forum.
    Kolobok emoticons

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  6. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Thank you - THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
    I misplaced that site link - I've been looking for it for weeks - I'm gonna bookmark it right now!

Yes! Excellent smilie source - that's where most of my smilies come from - I'd just forgotten the site url! So thanks for that ai220.photobucket.com_albums_dd134_ThickMadam1_yay2.gif

Jacquii.

7. Earache

Earache Aspirant

+1
    On an SMF forum although there are many smiley packs uadmins can also add their own ( or remove ones they don't want).

I replaced some with ones which I wanted instead.

These include a cybermans head, an aliens head, a dalek, a space shuttle even two smileys having a lightsaber duel.

Why not have some fun at the same time?

8. dladybugn

dladybugn Aspirant

+2
    Years ago, one of the invision board 3rd party sites (you know, mods and tutorials for brand-users -- it might have been Invison-Things) had a great social smiley.

It was a white square smiley that was "given" to good posts, and collected. (Giving them prompted people to add them to their signatures)

Very simple, not animated, it just sat there. I noticed the big thing about it was, no matter how new a person was to the board, they could "get" the white smily thing and immediately feel like they were up on it, as if there were an inside joke they were privy to.

It was a very subtle thing that let in new users without a huge barrier to participation. A new user could post a question, receive an answer, and reply with giving a white smily. Something about it said "Even if I don't understand everything you guys do, I'm smart enough to get the white smily thing and be one of you."

Experienced users gave them out for good posts with clear subject lines and I swear those white smilies stimulated more good will and participation than forum guideleines and rules ever would have.

9. Schot

Schot Imagineer

+35
    Your welcome Jacquii! ^^ Funny cause i went through a similar time a year or so ago. I needed to find an emoticon that was made by Aiwan but for the life of me I couldn't remember the site name. I went bonkers for a couple weeks trying to remember it. I finally found a link to it buried deep inside our mod section. I don't know why but the name Kolobok just isn't memorable to me. Kolobok, Kolobok Kooooolobok. *Tries to memorize*

Love the lightsaber emoticon Earache. Our members enjoyed that one.

What a great way to let new arrivals know that they are welcome dladybugn. I like that idea of giving someone a smile to wear. Cool. :)

10. SteveMetalman

SteveMetalman Participant

+1
    Very useful insight. [​IMG]

11. msmir

msmir Aspirant

+1
    Thanks for posting this, this place has so much useful stuff!! :)

Mir

12. c0mrade

c0mrade Neophyte

+0
    Good one. Are you from Chennai?

13. MattDowisCool

MattDowisCool Neophyte

+5
    I am shocked and saddened that you would describe a dancing banana as void of emotional content. Maybe it just goes beyond your rather narrow conception of emoticons, and by extension, human emotions, as falling conveniently into "positive" and "negative" categories. A dancing banana delights me yet concerns me at the same time. I believe a good administrator will harness these complex emoticons to deepen the interactions on their board, not dismiss them as ineffective or superfluous.

MattDowisCool

:cry::cry::einstein::confused::sleep::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::morganna::morganna::morganna::morganna::morganna::einstein::eek:

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  14. Gringostyles

Gringostyles Neophyte

+6
    I have spent my entire life reading and I have never come across a more important article so critical to the fate of the human race. :tja:Emoticons display not only our intentions :hiding:in communications, :dog:but also our hopes and passion in life. They allow us :biggun:to connect our hearts and souls in a manner not previously known. I will forever cherish the first time my eyes set upon this work though I know every :sick:time I return, my heart is :Party:warmed and my mind is soothed.

Thank you Hari for this :speare::excited:important piece of literature. A true visionary among mortals. Also, Trump 2016.:violin::iagree::iagree::iagree::woohoo::bunny::shell::sweeties::russ:

15. MattDowisCool

MattDowisCool Neophyte

+5
    Your emoticons are sick.

16. MattDowisCool

MattDowisCool Neophyte

+5
    Sorry I meant emojis upload_2016-2-24_11-53-43.jpeg

17. Gringostyles

Gringostyles Neophyte

+6
    :iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would also have to agree with MattDowisCool. The dancing banana :)banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:)
    conveys much deeper meaning that the author alludes to in the article (despite my previous post which claimed this article was amongst the greatest literary feats of all time, rivaling Plato's Republic and whatever **** Aristotle wrote). The dancing banana captures that moment of euphoria like when you are being handed your baby for the first time, or when you catch a baseball at the world series of baseball. :drama:

Regardless, Hari, keep writing and never give up the dream. Your continuous insight into emoticon use is forever appreciated.

:lisa::lisa::lisa::superman::blueyup::shell::shades::centerofuniverse::drama::excited::jedi::maggie::grouphug::haddock::grouphug::grouphug::cheers::cheers::biglaugh:

18. MattDowisCool

MattDowisCool Neophyte

+5
    G-Styles...thanks for the support on my comment, I thought it was a valid criticism of an otherwise Pullitzer-worthy article (is that for writing? :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:). Hari, didn't mean to imply the article wasn't paradigm-shifting in the admin community, because it is :omg: :wow:. I just thought some constructive criticism on the dancing-banana paradox was warranted.

:chicken::chill::chicken::birthday::welcome:

:excited::excited::flying::cop:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.