Easiest way to learn command line

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by hunter22375, Feb 9, 2018.

1. hunter22375

hunter22375 Aspirant

+2
    Whats the easiest way to learn the command line in terms of managing your server and files. Learning all those commands.

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,648
    Reading, yes its that easy. If you know DOS commands look up dos vs linux commands you then see that ‘dir’ in linux ‘ls’ is. I would advice linux for dummies is easy to read later you go more advanced books http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/linux/common-linux-commands/

I would also advise virtualbox you can install it under windows and install linux in a container you can then learn to setup linux and install and do basic stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+703
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,954
    Practice using them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+170
    This is good advice.

If you do setup a play system, have a go at some of the guides on https://www.howtoforge.com/. Start with something like their Perfect Server guides.

Also, you need to learn an editor program. nano is a great place to start, but I'd recommend vi or vim, which are a bit more complex but are available on every Unix or Unix-like operating system you will touch from here on out. When I started, I bought a vi reference coffee mug similar to this to help me out.

6. Claudio

Claudio Neophyte

+0
    By experience, the best way is practice and practice. Before doing it in that way, I used to save the commands on notepad and I copied them when I needed but it was pretty useless, I couldn't remind them even a day after I run them.

7. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+922
    Load linux up on a USB and start playing around.

8. zomgmike

zomgmike Participant

+2
    I would recommend using Ubuntu for your laptop or desktop. As often as possible, use the command line to accomplish routine tasks. You always have the "oops" of having a full graphical user interface.

The perfect example would be running routine updates or installing routine software packages like Open Office. Instead of using the app store or the update button in the GUI, open the command line and run "apt-get install apache-openoffice" or apt-get update. Need to move a file? Give a try in the command line before dragging and dropping. That sort of thing.

Before long you'll find yourself preferring the command line for some tasks and, at the very least, comfortable with it for others.

9. vikvaliant

vikvaliant Aspirant

+13
    Depends on your learning style. For me, I learn best by doing. Start a project that you really want to do or that you're interested in-- preferably in a test environment. Then Google how to do things as you go. For example, if you need to copy a file from one directory to another in Linux, simply Google "copy a file from one directory to another in Linux." Over time, you'll notice that you won't have to look up certain things up any longer.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.