"Easier" Login for Xenforo forums - any ideas ? ( registration, register, Log in)

mysiteguy

Devotee
Over 20+ years of my experience, testing and data show form simplification increases registrations, both mobile and desktop. Even more so on mobile. Whether it's tabbing or simply thumbing the other field, the end result is the same: more registered users. That includes very busy sites that often had more registrations in a day than 366. And tab order is very important, people expect it to go to the next field.

I'd wager the percentage of register desktop users on some sites would increase if they paid some attention to form functionality.

pierce

Habitué
I don't even have 50 page views a day on login/login to convert into 366 a day...

I don't force users to register or login to use the majority of the site.

mysiteguy

Devotee
I don't even have 50 page views a day on login/login to convert into 366 a day...

I don't force users to register or login to use the majority of the site.
I don't force it either - on my sites they only need login to post and send personal messages.

If a smaller site makes changes it might gain a handful of additional registrations per month. This may not sound like much, but I have found in the small/early stages of a site it only takes a small number of very excited users who post often to take the site to the next stage of growth.

There are plug-ins and documentation available on XF to do everything you need to simplify logins.

R0binHood

Habitué
I make it as simple as possible. It absolutely does increase registrations on both mobile and desktop. Here's my sign up form on XF:

View attachment 43362
I'm slightly torn on only having one password field for registration, I read a few articles a few years ago about the importance of entering it twice to eliminate the chance of typos and having a realtime JS check to verify they match before form submission.

If feel this is probably still a very good idea to implement, especially with the push to mobile.

I certainly find that I encounter typos much more with mobile than with a real keyboard. I think the extra field and reinforcement that what the user entered twice actually matches is worth it, especially when it drastically reduces the chance the user did make a typo and then has to follow through with the password reset feature to access their account and use your service in the future, which can potentially be a very frustrating experience as they try to log in multiple times first to no avail before resorting to resetting

pierce

Habitué
I'm slightly torn on only having one password field for registration, I read a few articles a few years ago about the importance of entering it twice to eliminate the chance of typos and having a realtime JS check to verify they match before form submission.

If feel this is probably still a very good idea to implement, especially with the push to mobile.

I certainly find that I encounter typos much more with mobile than with a real keyboard. I think the extra field and reinforcement that what the user entered twice actually matches is worth it, especially when it drastically reduces the chance the user did make a typo and then has to follow through with the password reset feature to access their account and use your service in the future, which can potentially be a very frustrating experience as they try to log in multiple times first to no avail before resorting to resetting
It would be nice for other admins to share their stats on the amount of time spent on their registration page, and conversion rates.

Then as a community we would actually know if its any better.

mysiteguy

Devotee
What's more prone to a typo:
Two fields with asterisks they cannot see, and cannot visually verify*
or
One field they can see when it's in focus, and can visually verify.

I believe's the 2nd, because for instance on a phone I have "fat fingered" a password field I couldn't read and made the same typo in each field! That problem goes away if you can read it.

R0binHood

Habitué
Yep...pretty obvious when you put it like that. I guess unmasking buttons seem like the way forward for error prevention on registration.

Tecca

Fan
Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS).

sign-up.png
I agree that the Xenforo login/register form is more confusing than convenient.

GioLogist

Aspirant
While on the topic ....

View attachment 43285

this is creepy.

and more importantly ..... it can be done LATER !
Then if you wish, make that change on your registration page. ;)
Super creepy. If needed, it should definitely be asked at a later point, unless it somehow effects the on boarding process. Which, considering most forum softwares don't have a proprietary on boarding process out the box, I don't see how it can.

I've always found XenForo login/register box a bit confusing to use really.[/ATTACH]
Sometimes trying to kill 2 birds with one stone ends up with one bird still alive, which I think happened here.

My XF forums do not ask for and do not display gender and age fields when registering... and I am seriously considering replacing the word "Register" with "Join" (on my VB forums, the XF forums use "sign up")
Very good point. "Register" is an outdated term. Maybe try a&b testing with "Join" & "Sign Up".

Interesting thing I found on reddit.IMG_5048.PNG
"it's not a bug, it's a feature"

This is actually a pretty funny/interesting tactic. It's a good call to action because users are accustomed to that "my account" type of area, so they will click it naturally, either wondering if they already signed up and forgot or just out of curiosity.

BeyBrad

Adherent
Pierce, you could've probably redone your registration form in the time you've spent justifying not doing it here. lol

I get it. You're not interested. There's no point in stating so over and over. Can you let people who are actually looking for improvements and good ideas do so?

About conversion rates ... forums don't somehow work differently from the rest of the web. There are tons of studies on improving conversion rates through design. I will let you find them if you're interested. I suspect you aren't.

Sometimes trying to kill 2 birds with one stone ends up with one bird still alive, which I think happened here.
LOL, this is perfect.

Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS).

View attachment 43375
I agree that the Xenforo login/register form is more confusing than convenient.
Yeah, this is basically all you need.

As for how obvious the join button should be ... I dug this image up for a different thread, it's an old prototype I was working on. I think the join button should be at least this obvious:

ai.imgur.com_k2GLGH9.jpg

Last edited:

pierce

Habitué
BeyBrad you know we can all say what we want here. I am trying to quantify it.

I've shown it may affect as little as 2% of logins with the stats I have from my forum I am not saying its not important I just want others reading this thread to not get anxiety attacks over the importance of tabbing.

I do think Tecca screenshot is excellent registration page and solves the issue with a double password field.

Double email isn't important because I still get members who enter their email incorrectly(and username!). Ill gladly do more admin work from the contact us form if the registration -registers more users-.

I've shared my stats on a XenForo install. Nobody has posted their stats to show the time spent registering and trying to quantify conversion from the entry point of the registration to the exit point.

My registration time is 3 minutes on a mobile, which I think is quite a long period of time. I only learned that today because of this thread and it needs to be improved somehow. I would love to know how much faster it is with the uber simplified version.

I keep pushing towards mobile because that is where it is going. A computer in your pocket. Surely with your site kids are reading about beyblades on "kid proof tablets" and watching youtube videos of other kids playing with beyblades. They don't sit at a desk computer? Do they?

I remember starting in 2006, and Mobiles were pretty sucky. The turning point was September 2007 when the ipod touch came out. I said as soon as I seen it, apple needs to make it a phone. And a few years later they did.

I did a quick google to find out the volume of mobiles vs pc sales last year and the top article was that more tablets than pc's were sold in 2015 http://www.extremetech.com/computing/185937-in-2015-tablet-sales-will-finally-surpass-pcs-fulfilling-steve-jobs-post-pc-prophecy

Desk pcs and laptops are becoming more and more niche.

upload_2016-9-10_0-42-15.png

This graph shows you how mobile has become my number 1 priority. The graph starts in mid 2011. I had an app in late 2010, until November last year and despite having a mobile app the mobile traffic grew regardless as you can see.

Ironic saying that and posting a picture from a 4k screen, it would be difficult to read on a phone but I do switch to a pc to write more in-depth responses.

Anyways, I am only trying to quantify importance. I am still adjusting to the fact that everything for me is now mobile first. Using computers since 1989 at 5 years of age I never thought they would just become irrelevant to something else.

GioLogist

Aspirant

mysiteguy

Devotee
Computers haven't become irrelevant to something else, they are more relevant than ever. Smaller, faster and more functional. Some even fit in your pocket and have a phone and camera built into them. :)

FYI, while desktop sales have declined, they are predicting it's bottomed out in 2016, and we can expect to see steady desktop and laptop sales, while tablets are expected to see a huge sales decline in 2017.

BeyBrad

Adherent
I'm so confused. I saw your screenshot and thought "nice design, let me check the site". Then I saw this http://harajuju.tumblr.com/ and the first thing I read is:

Did the site literally shut down within the 2 hours you posted it?
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that design is an old prototype of mine; I was just bringing it up as an example. I closed that site a couple of years ago. There is a bit about it on the MyBB blog though. I'm currently developing this prototype.

GioLogist

Aspirant
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that design is an old prototype of mine; I was just bringing it up as an example.
Actually, that's completely my fault for not reading all the way through, lol. Looking nice!! (Both new and old)

Optic

Enthusiast
I've got a call to action button to "Join Now" which gets us a handful of new members weekly. Stock XF sign up form though, tweaking it could improve the number of registrations..

I am looking at launching a WP portal page to better showcase our forum sections and articles because although we we get new members, many don't hang around for long.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
vBulletin 4.
upload_2016-9-12_21-31-11.png

Can't say I like this.
I wonder if the smartphone Register process actually has Time Zone as well.

One thing that really annoys me in vB4 is the Referrer box. I figure it is a text box and I used to put Google in there to be helpful to the admin. Of course, the form fails because Google isn't a member .... and ... I often have to renter almost everything. Uggg.