"Easier" Login for Xenforo forums - any ideas ? ( registration, register, Log in)

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
So the idea is that people don't sign up for forums because it's too hard.

How might the signup process be changed to make things easier ?

Don't hold back on ideas.

A problem is that signup for these forums is often such an arduous process. It should be possible to do a one-click from some other service and worry about the username and stuff after, or just make signup really simple. On a previous site of mine the registration form had 3 fields and just appeared in a modal:

This could be triggered when clicking a reply button or something. It's not as frictionless as guest posting but it's an improvement.

Yeah, the sign up process is terrible on most forum scripts. It's pretty bad on WordPress as well, though in that case, it's saved by the fact few people ever register on a blog.

Agreed. This part of some forum software has fallen behind the times badly.

Scott

Yes, but it's not a catch-all solution. I will sign up for shopping sites and stuff with my Facebook, but a forum? No way. Even if all it does is provide my email address and public info, it still rubs me the wrong way.

Surely signing up is so important that it deserves it's own button !

Xenforo has a Login / Signup combo

upload_2016-9-7_12-3-51.png

So I click
upload_2016-9-7_12-6-25.png

and I get this ?
upload_2016-9-7_12-5-3.png

I find this whole thing awkward.

My password ? I dont have an account.
Forgot my password ? I haven't signed up !!!!
Just needless confusion.

After all I clicked
upload_2016-9-7_12-6-25.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pierce

Habitué
awww.smashingmagazine.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_09_amazon_sign_in.jpg

They must have changed it recently, but it didnt stop them becoming a billion dollar company anyhow.

pierce

Habitué
What if your topic is... Relevant. Gender and age matters.

Amazon knows you need a credit card and when they got their money they don't care.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
upload_2016-9-7_13-36-4.png
THis is overkill.

Something like this:

Are you older than 13 ? [Yes] [No]
if they click Yes let them Type in their DOB (optional).

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Then if you wish, make that change on your registration page. ;)

BeyBrad

Adherent
What if your topic is... Relevant. Gender and age matters.

Amazon knows you need a credit card and when they got their money they don't care.

Is it relevant in most situations? Probably not? Digital Doctor is right — anything that isn't mandatory shouldn't be on the signup screen unless it's core to a service you provide (e.g. my new site will collect location info on signup because it sends you notifications of events in your area).

Comparing Amazon's checkout system to a message board signup is different anyway ... by the time you've seen that screen, you've said you want to make the purchase.

Xenforo's login/signup mixture is an attempt to make it frictionless but it's actually just confusing.

As for COPPA, it only applies if you collect personal information and if you have a way of knowing the user's age. So you're actually just causing more problems for yourself by asking unless you need to know.

The act applies to websites and online services operated for commercial purposes that are either directed towards children under 13 or have actual knowledge that children under 13 are providing information online. [...] According to a notice issued by the Federal Trade Commission an operator has actual knowledge of a user’s age if the site or service asks for – and receives – information from the user that allows it to determine the person’s age.[22] An example cited by the FTC includes, an operator who asks for a date of birth on a site’s registration page has actual knowledge as defined by COPPA if a user responds with a year that suggests they’re under 13. Another example cited by the FTC that an operator may have actual knowledge based on answers to “age identifying” questions like “What grade are you in?” or “What type of school do you go to? (a) elementary; (b) middle; (c) high school; (d) college.”

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Try to follow.
This is ideas about easier / different logins.
If you don't have any ideas .... that's fine.

Not really, an admin should choose what part of the process they want to do it, and if it is a required field or not.

It really don't matter TBH, cause people lie while filling it out, much like you did. ;)

BeyBrad

Adherent
Not really, an admin should choose what part of the process they want to do it, and if it is a required field or not.

It really don't matter TBH, cause people lie while filling it out, much like you did. ;)

And this thread is to discuss the various approaches. Isn't this a message board for forum admins? Isn't that the exactly the kind of thing worth discussing here?

Also, saying form fields don't matter because people can lie on them isn't true. The number of form fields, what they ask for, and how the form is designed can all drastically affect the conversion rate.

OUTL4W

<style>OUTL4W GFX</style> :p
View attachment 43286
THis is overkill.

Something like this:

Are you older than 13 ? [Yes] [No]
if they click Yes let them Type in their DOB (optional).
Isn't that just making it easier for spam bots? With the required fields on my forum only human bots get through nowadays. Amazon sign up page doesn't have to worry about bots registering to post spam links such as "build muscle faster", "sex stamina practices " and the such.

BeyBrad

Adherent
Isn't that just making it easier for spam bots? With the required fields on my forum only human bots get through nowadays. Amazon sign up page doesn't have to worry about bots registering to post spam links such as "build muscle faster", "sex stamina" and the such.

If you're OK with a spam solution that also loses you real members, that's on you. Personally I'd rather focus with blocking spam posts after registration than blocking the registration itself. Can always prune them out later.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
There are no spam bots stopped by a male female unsure question. None. Certainly not xrumer.