Donations?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by petertdavis, Apr 20, 2005.

1. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+222
    Someone mentioned to me about having a donation box on their forum. Has anyone tried this? I'd be curious to hear opinions about this.

2. jeter4982

jeter4982 SportsThunder.com

+0
    I have had a donation button, but no one has ever used it. I think its a wise idea to make sure you spend more time on building the community feel, and then people will volunteer donations. I don't think the Admin constantly asking for money, especially in the beginning, will be very successful.

Tom

3. Sniper

Sniper Look behind you!

+0
    You could try premimum usergroup, e.g. giving larger PM quota, no ads etc

which is a kinda of a donation but you give them something back in return.

4. Moncal

Moncal Habitué

+1
    I've seen both user subscriptions and straight donations work very well. I've also seen them both flop. It all depends on the user base.

5. PacMan

PacMan Fanatic

+160
    User subscriptions has worked well for me.

6. Diana Notacat

Diana Notacat The Space Kitten

+4
    Have a good community and userbase before you add subscriptions or a donation button... Otherwise, it's just not going to work, and people feel kinda "weird" about visiting a tiny site where the webmaster has donaton pleas and such plastered everywhere. XD

I use Paypal for donations and the subscriptions system via my vBulletin for "contributers" accounts to allow people some extra features when they donate! Along with a few brilliant ideas, the donations are small, but they substained the site!

7. mightyb

mightyb Amaizingnistrator

+1
    well because i offer free mobile phone downloads before each download i have a little pop up telling people how much other sites could charge you for the same file and asking them to donate... It works alright but every time someone donates £1 i get 23p taken away by paypal...

Premium membership works fine as well. I have changed the VIP usergroupl color a few hours ago and im also going to add a little medal do the rank for these people. Dont know if this will work though