Donate button that doesn't use PayPal?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by Shin Ryoku, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    My account upgrades use PayPal. A lot of my members are asking if I can provide a non-PayPal option.

I know there is an addon to allow that, but I'm looking for a simple donate button instead. Then if I get a donation that way, I'll manually upgrade the member account.

Here's what I need:
    -Trustworthy and reliable
    -Ability to set a minimum donation
    -Ability to tell which member donated
    -Something available to most of the world, especially N. America, Europe, Australia, N. Zealand

Any suggestions?

2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    BD Paygate supports many, and its free, combine it with DragonByte donate and it will handle what you need.

3. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    I see that, but I don't know which of the many to use. I've never heard of any of those.

4. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,038
    This is part of the reason I'd like a name your price option for user account upgrades built into XF. Then you could use the built in payment systems and use companies like Stripe, which in turn allows the likes of Apple Pay and Google Pay, with much lower fees than Paypal.

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,706
    Stripe is great. There is a very good addon for XF2 here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/stripe-all-payment-methods.6391/
    It offers a mass of payment methods. There are a number of addons for account upgrades that allow custom amounts and gift upgrades.

The Stripe PayGate for XF1 is outdated as Stripe upgraded its system in several ways. It was giving warnings about several things. I posted the issues in the related thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Its going to depend very much on the countries your users are from, which you didn't mention. :)

7. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    Mostly US, EU, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,706
    Then the Stripe Full addon will be very useful to you and will increase your income.

9. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Fan

+259
    I'm not on XF2 yet and probably won't be able to get there for some time now, unfortunately.

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,706
    Then consider if its worth it to set up a 2nd installation for XF2 and let your members donate through that. There are a number of good financial addons for XF2 including Mollie and Patreon. You can synch users with bd API.

11. overcast

overcast Adherent

+72
    If you find the concept of flattr interesting, then do take a look at that too. Because it can also be useful for accepting donation. And then there is also brave browser too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.