Domain Names - Does It Matter

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mew, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mew

Mew YUM YUM!

+28
    Well my first forum project that I've been thinking about has only one competitor that i can find, i thought it would have been more but hey.

My question is would i have to get a .com to get taken seriously, i am setting the forum up as a hobby ( its about a cookery channel) and i was going with cz.cc just because it is a hobby.

If i make no sense sorry lol :noid:

2. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+411
    I don't own any .com's, just .orgs...but for all search terms for our niche we rank first.

Try for .net. .org or .com either of those will do.

ultimately, if your seo becomes really good, it won't matter at all what you have the end or even your domain name.

google the word hamburger, for example

nothing you get in two five is called hamburger.com , .org or .net ^^

It's your content that will ultimately get you your listing.

:)

gogo

p.s. Course... having your biggest search term as part of your url is a great plus when starting out, cuz your name is part of the search.

3. Mew

Mew YUM YUM!

+28
    Thanks Gogoblender, just wanted to see if it would make a difference.
    The last bit of advice is great and i will make sure the channel name is in the url :)

4. howinfo

howinfo Aspirant

+0
    As much as SEO is concerned then there is no difference what TLD you use. We where lucky to get very nice domain with .info extension that we have been using and it works great. But whatever extension you will get always try to buy other major extensions as well if available just for safe keeping.

5. tbofram

tbofram That cool member

+10
    Yep as they say above it really will not matter aBout SEO if you make sure people and google know about it.

6. bucket

bucket badge consultant

+155
    I would get a standard domain.

if money is tight, write some cooking articles for cash, or offer to trade a couple a couple of 500-word articles for a domain name.

7. aidyUK

aidyUK Aspirant

+0
    i think they help because since i got my .info domain earlier ive already had loads of more guests and potential members

8. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+226
    I wouldn't start with anything other than a .com name.

9. cpvr

cpvr Tazmanian Master

+151
    Why would the domain name matter? Of course, if you use a .tld most people will take your site serious - however, the domain name only matters if you're trying to brand the site - a good name = easy to remember = great.

10. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+226
    It matters because once people start to remember the name of your site, they will go to the navigation bar in the browser and type the name followed by .com. Thus, if you don't own the .com, the strength of your brand will be helping the person who does own the .com domain.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aidyUK

aidyUK Aspirant

+0
    i started with .info cus its 1.99 a year :) and .com was taken

12. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+411
    ahhh, clever

:)

gogo

13. Mew

Mew YUM YUM!

+28
    That is clever advice, well i guess i better keep planning until i can afford a .com :)

14. aidyUK

aidyUK Aspirant

+0
    yer but if the name is popular or sounds to good it might get taken before you get it (like mine did)

15. Mew

Mew YUM YUM!

+28
    yeah i think the one i want will be taken before i get it, because its just my luck lol

16. Schot

Schot Imagineer

+35
    That's strange. I'm an avid "surfer" and I don't recall doing this for a new site. The only time I use the address bar is for my own sites. Do people really do that? I've kind of had the impression that majority of people wouldn't even think to type into the address bar. I thought the default was to use a search engine of which when I type out a site name I never type out the domain extension.

I'd wager the scenario quoted applies to a fine minority and that further still should it happen the user would instantly realize the appearance of the site they just entered was not the one they were after and continue their search.

EVEN further still... IF the user ends on the .com and yours is some other it will still be content that remains as the deciding factor of which domain extension gets the users traffic. Specifically if the user is in search of something specific that the .com does not supply.

For example; My site's .info is a game site that has this really awesome custom google map that shows everything a player wants to know about the game world. The .com has amazing data about the same game but only has a jpeg of a much smaller version of the map with minimal data about the game world. My .info is going to gain a tremendous amount of recognition because of the distance the site goes to provide the very best content for their interests.

That said I wouldn't make .info my first choice but I would prioritize the domain name over the domain extension. I'm a firm believer of content over domain as the driving force for developing traffic. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  17. dlawhh

dlawhh Can I have a cookie?

+2
    I always hear the issue come up between a branded domain name and a random one. For me it makes me wonder if people are intentionally trying to make it harder for visitors to find the site. When I am using a search engine I am popping in exactly what I am looking for to get to the site I need quicker. And I am more tempted to click on a .com than anything else, I think most would agree. :)

18. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Post no bills

+337
    You're both right. According to some recent usability studies, most users will type part or all of the site name into a search engine rather than entering it into the address bar.(Side note: The most entered search word across corporate intranets is "google") On the other hand, researches have found that people are paying more attention to the urls that appear in search results and choose those that look more legitimate (i.e. the url looks like it will give them the information they want).

So really .com doesn't matter. It's much more important to choose a domain name that reflects what your site is about. So floppyclownfeet.com would not help your cooking forum at all. That also explains why forums run under some of the free hosts don't always do as well.

19. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+120
    I personally dont trust .info domains.

Cheap, Cheerful and the scammers love them. I would neither invest my money in a .info if it was a serious site neither would I visit a .info to gain information.

20. howinfo

howinfo Aspirant

+0
    I can see that lot of people still have these old and misguided views about .info extension, but luckily majority of people do not believe these old myths. And I must say that I was also bit sceptical fist reading some misguided information on different forums about .info’s but after getting really good results with .info extension myself better then I had with any other TLD and talking to other people who successfully use .info domains then I realised that all the scare stories where not true.

Of course if you have e-commerce site then .com maybe the best option or if you run some non profit origination then maybe .org but for informational site, can't get better extension than .info.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted