Does Paid Posting Really Work?

Syphon

Adherent
I see these sites that offer to post on your site a certian amount of posts to get your forum started. Now I just started a forum called quityourbitchin.net and I want it to grow. Im working at getting some of the local radio stations to pick it up but they wont pickup an empty forum.

My question does paying for X amount of quality posts really work? I became part of the Launch Team for TAZ to do that aswell but should I also invest in getting some posts on my site to start? I have 8 members and its a group of myself and 4 friends. Right now they are posting good posts but still need some more for starting. Thing is paying for posting is just an influx of posts and then no more....so does that really help?

Dongle

Aspirant
I would not "pay" for posts but i dont see the harm in doing what i think is called "post swaps" this is when you and whoever else runs your site post say 20 posts on someone elses site in return for them postin 20 on yours and who knows from there you may like each others site and revisit from time to time swap links etc..

Just read pale pheonix other thread on same subject and hes got some good points there the posts do need to be sensible and of a certain quality but in general i think most people can have an opinion on most things and that will cause debate unless the only posters on your site are post swap posters.

Syphon

Adherent
Thank you for helping me make my final answer I will just do the Post Swaps as you talked about. Thats a better idea.

etechsupport

Enthusiast
If you go for paid posting you end paying them most of the time as the posts become older. Social networking at your local level can give you good start and try to make it viral gradually.

dojo

Passionate admin
Everything you do "artificially" paid posting or exchanges is something like a catalyst on your forums. They help grow, they don't grow a forum by themselves. If you keep on a serious promotion-activity plan and dedicate a lot of time and efforts into sustaining this with new threads and a lot of content, then yes, you can find them useful. But again ... they are not alone into making a forum. And instead of paying for posts I'd rather make some exchanges.

PalePhoenix

Prince of Dorkness
Dept. of Ironic Redundancy

What always baffles me are the "reg for reg" exchanges. If you can promise a complete stranger 10-15 new people for their board, then (1) why aren't they on yours, and (2) why can't the originating request make these "pseudos" for him- or herself? Though "fake members" is a oft-discussed topic on TAZ, if you've got the time and energy to make content for someone else's board, then WHY CAN'T YOU DO IT FOR YOUR OWN?

Ted S

Tazmanian Master
Any sort of seeding method is only effective if you have a plan to bring people in as well. The point of paid posting (originally) was to get enough activity to attract the people visiting a site to register. If you simply purchase some posts with no strong marketing plan to accompany it, all you will get is a bunch of fake posts which no one even sees.

carita

Freezing your screens
I'd only succest payed posters in the situation where your forum seems to be dying. Not to get it started. Do post exchange. Help other people with their sites and they help you. Don't go with payed posting