Do You Understand This?

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by Dragonlair, May 5, 2011.

1. Dragonlair

Dragonlair Just Curious!

+29
    I've been seeing posts/threads here and on other boards about spelling and grammar and how important they really are for understanding.

It brought up a memory of a "paragraph" that I was taught way back in elementary school by my mother. I'll give it to you as it was initially given to me. The game is to punctuate the paragraph and have it make sense. You cannot move words around or remove any. The wording is JUST as it is shown here. Just add punctuation and capitalization as needed to make the paragraph "correct" English.

Can you do it? In all the years that I have shown this, successful processing (even by English professors) is extremely rare. Enjoy! :banana:

that that is is that that is not is not that that is is not that that is not that that is not is not that that is is not that so

BTW - it's not easy to type without the punctuation. :unhunh:

I'll wait a while and if nobody can do it, I'll reveal the answer. If someone does punctuate it correctly, I will acknowledge their achievement.

2. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Admin

+2,059
    Well, it's times like this that I'm kind of glad that this style of typing and overuse of punctuation is far more common on forums than lack of punctuation in all lower case.

Th4t tH4t 15 15 Th4t tH4t 1s n0T 1s N0t Th4t tH4t 15 15 N0t tH4t Th4T 15 N0T tH4t Th4t 15 n0T 15 N0t tH4T Th4t 15 15 N0T TH4t 50!!!!!111

I think that that may actually be easier to read... and that fact scares me... :shifty:

3. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    That that is, is. That that is not, is not. That that is, is not that that is not. That that is not, is not that that is. Is not that so?

4. Kelloggs

Kelloggs Internet Vagrant

+12
    that, that is, is that that is not, is not, that that is, is not that that is not that. that is not, is not that that is, is not that so.
    done :) :banana:

5. Dragonlair

Dragonlair Just Curious!

+29
    That was pretty fast! Matt (Doctor) got it EXACTLY right!

I have no idea where my mother heard it except that it had to be in New York City (where she grew up). Now if someone could only tell me the title and author of the "Anticipation" poem she taught me.

I have no "reward" except for a virtual pat on the back. Well Done!

6. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    It's like almost all gramer, read the sentence out loud slowly and it forms itself.

7. tbofram

tbofram That cool member

+10
    ahhhh. when i first noticed the page i didn't think it was that easy. i was reading it too my self and got it in the end :) good quiz.

8. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+987
    I shudder after not having seen that sentence for at least two decades I'd see it again on TAZ.

9. SEOWarrior

SEOWarrior Enthusiast

+1
    I'm getting better at looking at what i type and reading over it a couple times.. Sometimes when i'm really tired like now i dont even bother. But the kids are aleep and its my time lol I look at what the person is saying but thats me

10. cathay88

cathay88 Neophyte

+0
    that's a good task

11. echo_off

echo_off Life is an illusion...

+88
    That that is, is that, that is not, is not. That that is, is not that, that is not that, that is not, is not that, that is, is not that so?

BTW I didn't copy anything i just did that, It's probably wrong though.

12. davidturner151

davidturner151 Aspirant

+0
    ah stupidly looked at the answer before having a go myself but thats the first time i've ever seen this before.
    does anyone know a website where there is a collection of this type of thing?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted