Do you run beta software?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by cheat_master30, Nov 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    One of my clients wasn't so lucky. It caused all kinds of problems.

2. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+262
    Maybe because mine was fresh install, not an upgrade :).

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,585
    I tend to stay away from BETA and RC versions. Went down that rabbit hole with IPS when they were in the 4.0 branch starting out. Almost like the license holders were their BETA group.

4. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+149
    I go much further than simply running betas, I pull from master (where the active development happens. It's usually more stable than the betas / stables too, as I'm always fixing new bugs and trying hard not to introduce new ones.

It's said that using unit tests can reduce the number of bugs in a piece of software by as much as 80%, it would be nice, if more people did it (I should probably add more myself, only 25% test coverage lol).

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. Karfunkel

Karfunkel Aspirant

+1
    I always test everything on a private server with the beta software as far as everything works I also use beta software in running operation

6. dojo

dojo Passionate admin

+130
    Long gone are the days when I'd like to tinker for ages with new software and plugins. Now I try to keep my forums as stable as possible and only wordpress gets updated as soon as releases are launched, since it's more of a security issue. Otherwise, I just want something that works and is stable.

7. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,160
    Even stable version are a pain in the hiney to keep on top of now. Given how many webmasters run old versions, maybe vendors should consider 'long term support' update and support plans that accomodate folks who keep previous versions running longer like bigboard admins with customized sites without kllling addons built using legacy apis (as long as theyre maintained/secure).

8. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+44
    I once used the BBPress beta plugin and got burned with downtime. So no chance I'd use beta of other forum software either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.