Do you run beta software?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by cheat_master30, Nov 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,049
    For your forums? Or do you stick with the 'gold' versions instead?

Personally, I've always upgraded to the beta and release candidate versions myself. Feels fun to experiment with new software, and for the most part, I think getting the new features early is more important for the community than worrying about a few stability issues or bugs.

But what about you? Do you run beta (and release candidate) versions on your sites?

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    Only testing them on a test forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,252
    I used to backup and upgrade to anything vBulletin released. Then came vBulletin 4 from which I learnt to never upgrade at all unless there was a compelling reason to do so. I'm especially suspicious of anything labelled 'gold' which still sends a shiver down my spine :cautious:

4. lurkalot

lurkalot Fan

+44
    Tend to only run beta on test sites, either locally or live when they reach certain point of stability. Don't want my host shutting me down. lol..
    I do run beta addons though, but only the one we develop, again when it gets to a certain point where its not going to cause major problems.

5. Creaky

Creaky Adherent

+108
    Only run beta versions on test sites, live is always a gold releae

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,197
    I don't run betas or first releases on live sites.

7. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+971
    i always run the latest version even if its beta

however i wait for a little bit to see if anyone else has upgraded and see if the room is on fire

it dont pay to be that first guy to find a Catastrophic failure

been there done that

Ran a beta version of a ......“delete all topics that are 30 days old that have no replies ever” addon

and it deleted every post on my site

8. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,821
    Unless I am personally asked to try out and evaluate a beta version, I wait for the standard releases. If I were to try a beta version out of curiosity, it would be on my local server only.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+907
    I always run the latest available version to download on my live sites.

If it breaks my sites I just blame the devs. I mean, why would they release software that's not ready for us to use on our sites? That would make no sense, so obvs their fault.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  10. Pandemixx

Pandemixx Aspirant

+20
    I only run beta software if its my own. :D From those experiences I've learned it's best to wait for the full release, or the first after bug fix release.

11. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+971
    +1 I always blame the hammer manufacturer when i hit my thumb, if they never made the hammer it wouldn't have happened

12. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,023
    I would blame their parents because if they never...;)

13. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+691
    I’ve always run beta software, even before I worked for IPS.

14. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,145
    For live websites? Never, we crave stability and a predictable experience.

Note I'm not personally averse to the idea, but only for non-essential instances its preferable to experience in realworld conditions.

15. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+55
    I look carefully at the bug tracker to decide whether a beta version is ready to run. But it depends on size of my sites because we usually have many websites.
    For large to larger sites, I will not run beta version, but if the beta is stable at some point I would run it on a smaller site.
    Sometime you just don't want to wait more.

16. Destroy Repeat

Destroy Repeat DestroyRepeat.com

+88
    I run multiple sites, so I sometimes test it on a separate path (e.g. site.com/XF21Board), and sometimes, I upgrade my smaller board to the latest beta software - but that's only when I know that we're close to stable state. Beta 4 to 6 is the highest that I've ever put beta software on live board.
    *laughs at vBulletin* Ha ha!

(Same experience, BTW.)

17. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+81
    I shamelessly run live betas on my site. I actually have a post in my site information that specifically dictates that I do for member's edification. I know that I have members that can break even the most stable of releases so I prefer to have them have a go at it. I've found some really obscure bugs that way plus I get all the new goodies faster!

18. maksim

maksim Serial Entrepreneur

+149
    Hah, forget beta! I generally wait for any major version to have a few updates before installing it. With a live money site... the last thing you want is the forum going down over errors in coding... or god forbid an overlooked security hole.

19. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Habitué

+164
    I've used beta software on live sites in the past, but now I usually wait for the stable version to be released, and it usually takes longer for add-ons to be updated to work with the new version of the software anyway.

20. Dan18

Dan18 Fan

+261
    I'm using XF 2.1 Beta 5 now on my New Install Forum ;).
    With 11 3rd party addons, working great so far :D.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.