Do you lie to your members?

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Do you ever lie to your forum members? Do you think there is ever an appropriate time to lie to a member or multiple members? Why or why not?

Bonus question: Would you lie if it meant that your community would become more popular and active in the end or is the risk too dangerous if you were to be caught in the lie?

It really depends on the circumstances. Rather than lie, I've usually abstained from answering the question if it would be detrimental to my communities. I'm a very big fan of community transparency on non-corporate boards and believe that the staff are simply an extension of the community. For instance, if a staff member is fired, I will always post detailing the situation, warnings issued, and other problems that lead to their termination. There's no point in hiding it. In fact, I can't think of many things that should be hidden from members besides personal account information.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Depends on what you're lying about and why, I would think. Question is pretty broad brush.

zappaDPJ

I don't recall ever having to tell lies to a community but I have found it necessary to withhold information e.g. personal information about a member.

DirtRider

bah humbug
Nope I am straight up with my members as you always need to maintain that trust

Adam H

** Retired **
Keep members on a need to know reach, I cant think of one situation that would warrant lying to a member, if there are rules in place and you are an admin not a friend there shouldnt be a problem.

Adamantium

Enthusiast
Do you ever lie to your forum members? Do you think there is ever an appropriate time to lie to a member or multiple members? Why or why not?

Hell yeah I lie. Of course there is an appropriate time to lie. Multiple members too, since you asked. If they ask me what I did last night I'm NOT going to tell them that I hounded my wife for 45 minutes to fool around with me. I want them to think I got it going on and that I am the one getting chased. Enter, the lie. Until someone proves there's a Hell for liars they can just live with me saying "I watched TV last night" and go about their day.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I don't see the point in lying. If I've got something to say, I'll say it. I will omit some of the detail at times, but only if it's not relevant or it's something that members don't need to know. But I would never outright lie.

JadeBlade

Adherent
Here is the only scenario where I might stretch the truth a little.

*Data farm is being attacked by violent mercenaries sent to retrieve my forums data.*

Update to forums:

Attention Members,

We are experiencing some technical difficulties. Please bear with us as we go through this difficult time.
All the Best,
Administration

davemacc

Fan
I don't lie, but I have been known to be 'economical with the truth'.

Members don't need to know every little detail of the forum, the problems and drama that can go on in the background.
Information that effects the member/members is shared, otherwise there is no real benefit to sharing.

I have seen a few forums that adhere to the mushroom philosophy. I don't agree with that type of management but each to their own.

Floyd R Turbo

Adherent
Brutally honest, no. But honest to a fault. That means admitting anything that might expose a bias. Take away any ammo against you before it might be used, maybe even turn it into an advantage. Doesn't always work but more often than not, it turns out ok

I'm very good at lying when I want too, but no I don't lie to the members of my forum. All those years of catching ass whoopings as a kid taught me better, my Dad hated lying more than anything and he pretty much beat it out of me. If anything I'm too honest about everything in my life and it makes people uncomfortable.

3phase

Enthusiast
I don't lie, but I have been known to be 'economical with the truth'.

Members don't need to know every little detail of the forum, the problems and drama that can go on in the background.
Information that effects the member/members is shared, otherwise there is no real benefit to sharing.

I have seen a few forums that adhere to the mushroom philosophy. I don't agree with that type of management but each to their own.

This. ^

It's a mistake to let other people answer questions and speak for the forum with rumors and gossip - a diplomatically-phrased truth is almost always better than that. But I agree that the details just confuse people and give pot-stirrers some ingredients for their pot.

Also agree that members DO need to know information that affects them. It's best if they hear it first from management and have confidence that their interests are being looked after.

Would never directly lie about something to do with the forum. Mostly because it's not how I roll. But it's also true that it will be found out, remembered forever and someday used as a weapon.

dojo

Passionate admin
I don't lie in 'normal' life, I don't lie on forums either. Have noticed that being upfront about everything and taking blame (when needed) gets you the best results and respect.

HallofFamer

Habitué
I do what is best for the community to remain popular, stable and growing. If lying to certain members is what is needed, I do it in a heartbeat. I usually dont find compelling reasons for this, but I definitely wouldnt mind if its necessary.

Empire

Devotee
I do what is best for the community to remain popular, stable and growing. If lying to certain members is what is needed, I do it in a heartbeat. I usually dont find compelling reasons for this, but I definitely wouldnt mind if its necessary.

Okay Mr Frank Underwood.

Pokemaster Kyle

Participant
Outright lying no...I have of course told my truth. Which may omit somethings that would cause more issues than necessary.