Do you have a dedicated server?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Joeychgo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    Okay, thanks. I'm considering another dedicated server, in a different city from where I host now (Atlanta). Basically so I can have another backup server in a different location in case of natural disaster or regional outage. I'll check into them.

2. ripptech

ripptech Professional Lurker

+26
    I'm about to rescind this statement. The ram in the server took a major dump yesterday about 2pm. I'm still down, only HALF WAY through a ram test. "Oh we have to run the test you know." I'm currently in full-on "I've done this **** for 20 years" mode and pressing them for answers as to what we're going to learn from this that we don't already know. Swap out the freaking ram already and lets move on.

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    They could swap all the RAM out and simply do the test on another machine to find the bad module - replace it and then put it back into your machine. I was with OVH in the past and had a RAM module go bad - took them about 30 minutes to get a new one in there for me. I've heard many complain about OVH, but I never had an issue - other than their lower end boxes using software RAID instead of hardware and the limited expansion options they give for drive capacity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,365
    I would be spending my time finding another host at that point.

5. ripptech

ripptech Professional Lurker

+26
    oh I've got that lined up, and a cheapo $25/mo file backup server. Just need to get in there and get my backups/data out. 24 hours and its still down. haven't heard from them since this morni.... doh, just heard from a new tech. must have had a shift change. very apologetic message. we'll see where this goes next. besides me away from them of course.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    Really sorry to hear this. A data center ought to have spares available at any time, and as noted by others the memory test should have been done in another system.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.