DMOZ Internet Directory Re-Launches at DMOZLive.com After Unexpected Shuttering by Host AOL

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by Joeychgo, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,083
    REDMOND, Wash., March 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Last week, AOL shut down DMOZ.com, the official homepage of the DMOZ Internet Directory. However, the directory was quickly re-launched at DMOZLive.com. The new site represents the final iteration of the human-curated Internet directory and includes the same powerful browsing and searching tools. The DMOZLive.com version of the directory is made available through a Creative Commons Attribution license from the DMOZ organization.

"While automated search engines have become standard, we believe there's still value in human curation, as evidenced by site traffic data," says DMOZLive.com Founder Douglas Olson. "Humans are still better at understanding the content, motive and quality of web pages, and organization that information in a comprehensible way. It's worth noting that the search engine titans like Bing and Google continue to employ humans to test their automated systems, so even they recognize this fact. Moreover, DMOZ is an important piece of Internet history, as its roots go all the way back to 1998. We felt it was important to preserve this resource and the countless hours of mostly volunteer work it represents."

amma.prnewswire.com_media_481988_DMOZLivecom.jpg

The official DMOZ site, which was owned and operated by AOL, helped millions of Internet users make sense of the web and discover practical resources that may otherwise have gone unknown. A small army of volunteer editors worked to maintain the directory, which received several million page views each week. AOL has not commented on its closure of the site, and only provided two weeks notice prior to closure.

DMOZLive.com is now home to the only remaining full-featured version of the DMOZ Internet Directory, which comprises over 3.5 million sites across 800,000 categories. Typical categories range from business, computers, games and the arts to news and shopping. Within each top-level category are numerous subcategories, many of which have subcategories of their own, and so on. The result is a hierarchy of relevant content moving from the general to the specific in a way that feels natural to human users. This structure has been largely unchanged since the directory's creation in 1998.

As a global project, the directory includes regional content in 91 languages. Pages in Arabic and Hebrew are formatted with the appropriate right-to-left text. Users can search the full text of directory categories as well as individual site descriptions in any of the 91 available languages. The current version of the DMOZ Internet Directory also boasts a clean, modern interface that makes for easy navigation.

Easily the most unique and powerful feature of DMOZLive.com is the ability to execute a wide range of custom searches. Above each list of categorized web sites, a custom search bar encourages users to "search the below sites." With this feature, users are assured that a specific, targeted search will not return the flood of generalized and often irrelevant results typical of broader search engines. Mining the web's information to uncover knowledge has always been a challenge, but DMOZLive.com has been designed to make the task a little easier.

"Finally, we want to express our sincere thanks to the dedicated DMOZ editors around the world who have helped keep the Open Directory Project moving forward," added Olson. "DMOZ has always represented the very best of the web and of the human spirit of discovery, cooperation and sharing. We're proud to continue making the final version of the DMOZ Internet Directory available for as long as possible."

About DMOZLive.com

DMOZLive.com is operated by Midnight Design Productions, a technology company focused on building innovative web sites and services. The company leverages world-class design and development experience to build websites that bring communities together.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,422
    Looks to me like it was simply someone who took the free DMOZ feed, slapped an interface on it and puts it up as a way to make some bucks via adsense. This was a fairly common trick 10+ years ago.

3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+465
    Doesn't look like they are interested in growing the resource. I see no way to add a site.

4. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+925
    Which makes it about as useless as the old site. The content in many DMOZ categories is woefully outdated already, and this just makes it worse.

Honestly, the DMOZ will never catch on again until they can get more editors with a willingness to keep their categories up to date/get replaced when they don't.

5. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,083
    I know, I emailed them yesterday looking to find out

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    If my experience is anything to go by that traffic stands as a testament to time wasted conducting fruitless searches. It proves to me that in this case there is actually no value in human curation whatsoever. Google does it so much better in every imaginable way.

7. DaUnknownAdmin

DaUnknownAdmin What Are You Missin?

+11
    That pretty much has been my experience as well. Whether trying to find useful information or actually volunteering, I've always reached a dead end.

8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,422
    I would not encourage them, they are content scrapers, not connected to DMOZ in any way nor the old DMOZ editors. They are an opportunist who used the demise to make it appear they are helping it live on, when in fact it's basically another version of a content scraper, with someone clever enough to pay for a PRNewswire press release.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  9. cbp

cbp Habitué

+15
    Yep; This is NOT a relaunch of DMOZ by the editors!!!!!!!!!

10. cbp

cbp Habitué

+15
    lol! ... just caught a snippet that AOL are on to this and the ~30 or so others apparently trying to do the same.

The above person has no rights to use DMOZ in the domain name. Silly mistake to send time and $ developing something that they won't be able to keep!

11. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,639
    Honestly, I think DMOZ should have died years ago. It was a relic and it was poorly managed for years.

12. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+925
    Source?

13. cbp

cbp Habitué

+15
    It was a comment by an editor in another forum when they were alerted to the above press release.

Also, it is obvious. DMOZ is a name that AOL owns, so you can not legally register a domain with someone else's name.

Apparently, the editors have a new name for the directory which one claims is 'cool'

14. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP TechArena.IN

+12
    The era of directories is over !!!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted