+993
    cheat_master30 submitted a new Article:

Discussing a Decentralised Reddit Alternative

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017
  2. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+622
    We're in the process of making something similar that will allow small micro-groups who have the freedom to publish as they wish, with each sub-community having their own moderator, but allowing the overall interaction among all members of the site. It will essentially be a conglomerate of microniches posting user-generated content, but there's also a lot of other features we're introducing that many other sites don't cater to. Hopefully, we're different enough for people to try, like, and remain a user.

3. pierce

pierce Habitué

+693
    Its a shame nobody invented a really simple syndication, or an aggregated feed consisting of XML, that was extremely popular that a monolith like Google would create basically the defacto standard rss reader only to close it down in 5-10 years for real good reason... (only 5 million active users)

You could take this feed and like Facebook and twitter it would be your centralized feed.. blog posts from your friends.. news articles from sites your interested in.. all from a centralized place, but the source of content decentralized, each of these people would have control of where their content was created...

You could solve the single sign on problem with a product where people could host their own credentials we could call it openID... they could set out a profile in a structured format that would share with other sites they contribute to...

Damn i got to stop reading tech magazines from 2010....

Don't get me wrong i think you are right thinking about censorship, and it should probably be taken in context of machine learning...

You post something on social media and it doesn't get much traction, was it because the AI minimized you in a form of censorship?

Were you shadow banned, were you echo chambered so on and so forth...

And I do believe your view point on twitter and facebook are content aggregators is hitting it on the head. I use FB primarily as an RSS reader..

4. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+622
    The worst part about FB's latest update, which is basically one big censorship thanks to politics, is that it also affected the pages which were not political.

I had so many really funny/entertaining pages that I liked and would see - they're all gone from my feed. My feed is now back to what boring Becky down the street ate for breakfast and other stuff I couldn't care less about. Now you have to physically search for your previously liked pages just to see their updates. What was once a fun, entertaining, convenience has become tedious.

FB took a massive hit from it too.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...uced-time-people-spend-50-million/1081082001/

5. Ronish Baxter

Ronish Baxter Aspirant

+3
    Facebook has revealed new updates for WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and just about every other service it makes.

It also announced that it would release new products, including a special version of Facebook for dating and a portable virtual reality headset that will be the first of its kind.

But the F8 conference – at which the new products were launched – was overshadowed by continuing controversies at the company. They were addressed by Mr Zuckerberg on stage, but he offered no apology and little explanation of recent events.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...new-features-mark-zuckerberg-f8-a8331746.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.