discourse or xenforo2

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Blueh, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Blueh

Blueh Aspirant

+3
    I'm looking for a platform for new forum. Ok, I have read a lot about the death of forums but I want to make one and see if old members of an old community come back, so before I thought about using flarum, because looks really nice, but I think it's abandoned by its developers,

anyway, do you recommend me to use xenforo 2 (waiting for it), or discourse?

2. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,329
    Start off on XF1 and upgrade to 2.X in the future.

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Unless you're familiar with Ruby and Postgrsql, versus php and mysql, I'd stay away from Discourse. Its not a bad platform, just keep in mind you'll have to relearn pretty much everything.

4. Blueh

Blueh Aspirant

+3
    so is it necessary have a knowledge of ruby and postgrsql to install and admin discourse?

5. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    To install it, and even though companies like Digital Ocean have one click installs... my experience with them is it's anything but one-click, lol. It can be easy to screw it up, which is why there are people out there paid to install it (not me, it's not worth the time) who have scripts they've created to handle it.

Its admin interface and the config file are "different".

6. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    Good to have that knowledge to modify it for your needs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.