Discourse 1.3 Released

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by tomk, Jun 4, 2015.

1. tomk

tomk Adherent

+180
    http://blog.discourse.org/2015/06/discourse-1-3-released/

You may not like the radical change they are attempting, or the layout/design of their forum, but these guys continue to impress me for sure!

I for one like the shorter development cycles Discourse uses compared to the 1 to 4 year cycles others like XenForo 2, IPB 4, etc, follow. Not sure how they do it, considering they have a small team of developers, I think 3 (?), are they that much more talented/experienced over their competition or is it easier since they started with a blank page a couple of years ago?

Either way Jeff and team, keep it going, you guys are doing amazing!

AWS did you ever deploy Discourse on a production site yet? What do you think of the 1.3 release? I value your opinion!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. TimWolla

TimWolla Developer

+98
    Hi
    They have a massive amount of independent developers creating pull requests: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pulse/monthly and they are not bound by the limitations of the average hosting company providing PHP versions that were released years ago.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,179
    Desktop notifications finally going mainstream?
    ...and it's official, forums stopped being killed by Facebook and mobile apps.

4. Putnam

Putnam Oh you know...

+4
    I am using Discourse on my website, I found out about it while searching for a commenting solution. Each comment section of each page of my website is actually just a 'Topic' in the "Comments' category of my website. You can check it out in action via the links in my signature.

5. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    Oh nice, they seem to have changed their policy of charging you a huge pile of money for the importers. That's good.

Have you noticed how most Discourse Forums happen to look incredibly similar to each other? They have more or less thrown theme customisability off the bridge.

Weren't there ten or so developers? Or did they end up firing some people?

Well, they have a fair bit of venture capital funding, and some big organisations seem to have bought into the Discourse Vision and are forking over large piles of money to them.

6. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    Eh, most of their users happen to be corporatey enough to stick to making navbar match their branding and thats it. Only some gaming sites bothered to do some bold color changes.

You could customize Discourse appearance via Ember-Addons mechanic, but that requires some Ember-fu and Discourse internals knowledge.

7. SAFAD

SAFAD Developer

+19
    And this is exactly why it is gaining traction (not the main reason tho)
    It looks and feels like Facebook, and any fanboy with the "Next Facebook" or "Facebook Killer" appeals him...

other than being used as a QA solution, I do not see discourse as a forum software at all

8. tomk

tomk Adherent

+180
    Not a Discourse 'fanboy', but not a single deployment here is a QA site as far as I can tell.

http://www.discourse.org/faq/customers/

9. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Never cared for it. And then there is the course. I remember when sitepoint converted and that's when my activity there basically ended after a short moment of rekindling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.