Discouraging PM's

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by DaveL, Jan 6, 2017.

1. pierce

pierce Fan

+480
    I think trying to control how users use your site in a world that takes 4 seconds to start a group elsewhere is the dumbest thing you can do.

Just my 2 cents

2. King G

King G Enthusiast

+13
    tru didn't think of that. though some loyal members will follow the rules.

3. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+160
    Implemented the Private Threads - and the members love it!

By the amount of activity taking place, I can see why the amount of emails the forum was sending out was outrageous!

4. pierce

pierce Fan

+480
    That's great to hear.

I'm pondering implementing private threads after reading this. Let us know how it goes

5. Lozza94

Lozza94 Aspirant

+0
    Private threads is actually a really good idea, looking forward to learning how this works out.

6. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+160
    We'll they have been implemented less then 48 hours and so far I have 17 private threads containing 820 posts!

I can understand why so many emails were getting rejected now!

7. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+390
    That is a huge amount of activity. The PMs must have been taking up a substantial amount of your database as well?

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,078
    Question is, how many are watching their threads with email notifications on? I can see a decrease since with Private Conversations emails are sent on each reply unlike a watch thread where an email is only sent once until you read the thread again. Will be nice to hear what kind of change it makes for you. :)

9. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+160
    Well so far i've had no returned emails, which is great because I was getting thousands a day clogging up my inbox. With the limit of 500 per hour being easily exceeded, this mod has been a god send.

It seems the members have really taken notice, because lots of them have watched the topics they are involved in, but have not selected to receive an email. I pushed the idea of using pushbullet, so they can get instant notifications that way.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  10. pierce

pierce Fan

+480
    onesignal...

11. Martyn

Martyn Aspirant

+2
    why not disable the email option for everyone.. post an accountment, and even an email(I know right..) possibly to people maybe, with details how to re-enable?

I bet a lot of people don't even check their emails, and visit the forum anyway..

why not try Amazon SES??... get it free for a year and set up to 62k per month?

if not https://sendgrid.com is $10/mo
    https://mailchimp.com/ is free for Up to 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month

12. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+160
    Problem well and truly solved by the Private Thread mod.

Just over a week ago I installed it and it has 21 discussions and 3489 posts. You can see why I had an email issue!

13. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+37
    You could create a 'Premium Members' group and only people who pay for the upgraded accounts can have access to the PM system.

14. Kintaro

Kintaro Participant

+24
    In this way they will move to some other "free" system like Telegram/WhatsApp/Line/Facebook

15. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+37
    I would encourage members to do that if it was making my servers crash (them using the PM system too much).

16. Kintaro

Kintaro Participant

+24
    Server crashes because of too much PMs? :hmm:

17. Gus

Gus Enthusiast

+37
    ...Or makes your shared hosting account exceed the host's limitations and your account gets suspended / taken offline. Either way, the point was that people should chat using 3rd party apps if it's becoming an issue.

18. Kintaro

Kintaro Participant

+24
    If this happen I think you are ready for, at least, a VPS.

19. terrymason

terrymason Enthusiast

+17
    SparkPost.com will allow 100k emails a month. I use them an love them (and I've never had to pay). There is a daily limit, but by submitting a help ticket with them, I had mine increased to 20k a day.

Your forum is really successful. I would not change what has made you popular. I would instead try to monetize these emails somehow.

20. Basketballfan!

Basketballfan! Aspirant

+0
    monitor pms or ban em your choice

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted