Discouraging PM's

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by DaveL, Jan 6, 2017.

1. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    A huge issue I have at the moment on my forum, and have had for quite some time is the vast amount of PM's being sent between members.

A brief overview - My forum is based around a mobile game, where people can become friends and gift items to each other to progress throughout the game.

Originally started as a "Daily Trading Thread" - but as the forum progressed, members have started to create vast PM groups to trade privately.

Now I have no issue with this per se, however my issue is the 100,000+ emails being sent monthly because of the PM'ing. As im on shared, my host permits 500 per hour, which a lot of the time is exceeded and thus I end up with thousands in my spam folder.

Always a concern that a new member wont receive their confirmation email if this happens at the same time.

Now i've been looking at the XF Private Thread mod - Basically moving away from the PM side - Any views on this?

I know I could pay to have an email service, but ideally id like to keep costs low and only spend money on the forum where it benefits the majority.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,036
    I'm not sure how you could limit the amount of emails. Surely these users could understand the cost involved so maybe make an announcement about it and introduce a donation system or possibly User Upgrades. With the User Upgrades approach you could turn conversations off for Registered group then enable it for the User Upgrade (promote user to new group upon upgrade).

Then you have the extra income to pay for a better email service. ;)

3. pierce

pierce Fan

+258
    sendgrid will charge $19.99 a month.... for 100k emails.

4. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    Thanks Steve.

We do already have a user upgrade system in place. £3 per year gets you a snazzy badge and also get to view the site ad free.

As much as I like the idea of limiting conversations to the upgraded group, I feel something drastic like that would create a division on the forum. I'd rather try and look for a solution that would apply to everyone.

5. pierce

pierce Fan

+258
  6. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    But thats an extra £100 a year.

Im all for spending money on the site, but I prefer to do it in a way that would benefit all the users, not just those that like to have PM conversations.

That's why I was possibly looking along the lines of the Private Thread option and then reducing the amount of PM's people could have across the board.

Plus, I feel it would be wasted money, as people in these groups will be expecting a PM, so the email would just be money down the drain.

Any option to mass turn these off?

7. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,036
    Hmm well I know what you mean but anything I think off still leads to emails being sent out. There is an add-on where users can create a thread and invite others to it, don't recall the name of it but it was used here at one point.

8. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    This is the mod im looking at, possibly the same one you mention?

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-level-permissions-aka-private-threads.5246/

If so, was there any particular reason why TAZ stopped using it?

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,036
    It's still used here actually, if you want to test it. :)

10. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    I think I might take the plunge.

Install the mod, post a guide and then restrict the amount of PM's people can send and the amount of people they can have involved in them.

Im expecting there will be a few grumbles as its quite a major change, but as they say, you don't know until you try!

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,036
    I don't think there is an option for that, it would require an add-on and I'm not sure that one is available.

12. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    Ah very true, just went and checked.

I think limiting "Maximum conversation recipients" should help if I cut it down to say 2.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,036
    You could always make a suggestion in the Conversation Essentials add-on by Xon1Xon1 , that could prove to be a useful addition to it.

14. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+153
    Good thinking ;)

15. Xon

Xon Enthusiast

+281
    Conversation Improvements can limit number of replies in a conversation. Conversation Essentials can limit an inbox by conversation or conversation messages, but this doesn't help with email sending.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  16. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+388
    Vbullitin had a mod where people could make private groups and invite people to them, kind of like a little private board inside the main forum. I don't know if that is available on Xenforo though.

I was an admin on a forum that used it and it did keep a lot of members happy. You could make it a perk of full membership, the ability to create the group.

17. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,450
    There is no such thing in XF.

18. Ruby

Ruby Nerd Girl

+20
    I use that add on it does help cut down on the PM usage.

19. doubt

doubt Fanatic

+1,450
    More than that much.

Currently 1 British Pound equals 1.23 US Dollar
    $20 * 12 = $240

$240=£195

20. King G

King G Enthusiast

+10
    sounds harsh and but make a new rule where you say users can't make "pm" groups. But can only use pms for other purposes. If a user disobeys give them a verbal warning.

just my 2 cents

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted