Suggestion Disallow linking from new users

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by mysiteguy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    It seems a day doesn't go by where TAZ has one or more people join, resurrect an old thread and post a link to their site, and their text here is often in broken English with an answer which really isn't an answer.

There are many folks here, myself included, who post links and sometimes self-promote. I believe this is a good thing overall for TAZ due to the technical nature of the topics people often need hands-on help. The difference, however, is people who contribute to TAZ with real experience to share, versus fly-by-nights who simply use TAZ for an SEO boost, don't give a crap about the community and have no plans to stick around. It takes about 0.5 seconds to recognize these types of users.

I don't know if the TAZ staff is aware of this, but TAZ is listed on several spammer lists of "high value" backlink sites which allow them.

One of the things I do on my own forums is spam filtering which auto-moderates posts with links from anyone with under 10 posts. It's pretty much-halted link drop spam.

Can TAZ consider something like this?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,798
    I do the same thing on the main site I help admin. If a new user posts a link, the post is automatically put into the moderation queue and the link is then reviewed by staff to see whether it could benefit the community or not, with commercial sites not being allowed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,186
    Believe it or not over the last month or two I've taken an almost zero tolerance approach to this kind of spam. It's hard to quantify but I spend at least 30 minutes every day dealing with it here. What gets through is probably little more than a few percent of what I personally deal with on a daily basis and I can see from the moderator log that other staff are also doing a lot of work in this area.

More recently some of these spammers are taking an approach that attempts to circumvent spam prevention methods. It's often the case that many members will reply to new posts believing that they are genuine when in actual fact the spammer has simply used a c&p of existing TAZ content. Many are also now wise to the methods used to detect duplicate accounts leaving them at liberty to drop their spam at a later date into the aforementioned duplicated thread on a new account.

That penalises genuine new members and would almost certainly lose us valuable content e.g. a new member asking for help on a linked forum. It's a swings and roundabout approach that fares well on some forums but I don't think it's for TAZ. Personally I would rather range block at least two areas of the planet. The content value coming from those areas is less than 1000 to 1.

4. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,152
    Agree. I typically report them as spam.

Set the requirement to the same as PMs.

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,068
    It sound strange but i always look at a link before i spam clean it. The reason is that sometimes you get a link drop that can be seen as spam but is still on topic. But for me everything that link in title or post should be moderated until the have good rep.

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,625
    The SandmanThe Sandman this sounds like a good idea as it would save a lot of staff time. As long as this will not block developers from Asia.
    Another idea is to add cloudflare.

7. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    India, Bangladesh, Russia, and China are my biggest headaches and have been blocked for several years.

8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+865
    Pakistan is where 99% of mine comes from these days.

9. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    From Ukraine coming a lot in Russian language.

10. Lala

Lala Participant

+39
    We had a funky thing that was created for a whole other purpose, but as a byproduct it got rid of spam. That checkbox on registration that says "I agree to Terms and Conditions," we modified it to multiple choice. One option proceeded with the registration, the other two (or any combination of all three) gave an error. There were no riddles, the options were as straightforward as possible, and the registration page and the error message stated what the right choice was. Applied to TAZ it would be something like "Registration is open to admins only. Please select one option that describes you best: I'm a spammer who ignores TOS, I'm an admin who agrees to TOS, I'm a random sociopath who hasn't read TOS." The error message said "Sorry, registration is open to admins only, while you stated you were a random sociopath. If this is a mistake, please press "back" button on your browser and try again." Surprisingly, spammers and sociopaths were eradicated almost completely (down to one or two per month), and legit registrations didn't drop any.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. bernard

bernard Enthusiast

+16
    I modded my forums so that new users cannot post links or images. They have to have a certain number of posts and have been a member for a certain length of time before they can post links/images. If they try to post them before they qualify, they get an error message when they try to submit the post. In my case, I had /b/tards raiding my epilepsy forum trying to post animated flashing images or links to same to try and trigger photosensitive members/visitors to the site into having a seizure. The restrictions stopped that crap cold.

12. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,798
    I would like to add that a good number of posts made here at TAZ by new users that contain links are in fact put into the moderation queue automatically.

13. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+983
    Actually, only if the new members know their posts are moderated that way. Mine, do not. They see their post perfectly as any, but the membership cannot see it until a staff member approves it. Works great, stops all link spam, and without any new member ever even knowing it's there.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.