Disable or enable view for guests?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Ram8349, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ram8349

Ram8349 Enthusiast

+2
    For a newly launched forum(2 days old) with single digit members, is it a good idea to disable views for the guests?

I've heard conflict information about this. Some say this will force more people to sign up, some others say this will decrease the number of visitors.

Need advice!

Also, after the forum gets picked up by snow ball effect, should this matter?

I've checked multiple forums with over 50k members, they all have view for guests enabled.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. rngrdanny22

rngrdanny22 Adherent

+4
    If you restrict views for guests, search engines wont be able to read your site either.

3. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    Depending on the software, you can have the search engines act as members instead of guests so they could see it.

However if you hide the content from guests how are they going to know if they want to become a member?

I personally wouldn't sign up just to see if I want to actually sign up, I'd go elsewhere and see if they give me a reason to take the time to join.

4. Ram8349

Ram8349 Enthusiast

+2
    I am using MyBB provided by hostgator. Do you know if it can have the search engines act as members instead of guests? I haven't seen such option.

I've seen at least two threads claim they gained more members on the day they disabled views for guests.

Maybe disable views for guests on certain categories instead of all of them might do the trick?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    Yeah that would be better than disabling everything.

Apparently TAZ has a plugin that limits page views, maybe look into that too. I didn't even realise it was here, I joined before I hit the limit. I guess if you do something like that and have good content people may not even realise it's there.

As for MyBB and the search engines - Add the following to the end of your install URL and it will take you to a list of the bots, click edit for each one and you can assign them to different groups.
    Code:
    admin/index.php?module=config-spiders

6. DeveloperBase

DeveloperBase Participant

+2
    Do not block it from guest viewing. I had a mod created that would lock guests out after 10 pageviews if they didn't join. It also causes issues with the search engines being able to view things correctly, some would get blocked after crawling 10 pages because there were too many IP's to whitelist and I can't even remember all the other headaches we went through.

Anyway point is I did that for 2 years. Then in the past year I removed that mod, I have gotten more people registered and more posts in this past 1 year then the prior 2. I have so much more information indexed by Google now as well.

7. RodneyM

RodneyM Enthusiast

+4
    I would go with making guests view the site as to the bots viewing it as well and probably get more members!

8. rngrdanny22

rngrdanny22 Adherent

+4

Which software does that? Is it a modification?

I've used nearly all of them and that is not a standard feature on many...

9. Jura

Jura Habitué

+165
    Standard feature of IPB.

10. DeveloperBase

DeveloperBase Participant

+2
    It is?

I thought it was part of the addon IP.SEO

11. Duke Atreide

Duke Atreide Aspirant

+0
    Very few visitors will register unless they can see the forums - you want them to become immersed and addicted so that they want to post, don't use cheap gimmicks to boost numbers.

12. On my forums I have sections that guests can read the blurb for the topic but not read the posts as these are age restricted.

13. titanya

titanya Aspirant

+2
    I had this plugin. It did not bode well. I would suggest a 'nag' message for guests would be a better idea, because if the guest gets addicted and becomes a lurker, they'll get sick of the nag and register. :) the VB notices are good for this. They work well IMO.

14. Xplicit

Xplicit Participant

+2
    What do you mean nag? could you show an example please? :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted