database restore/backup help

reeshe

Neophyte
I'm using mysqldumber to restore and backup my database. The back ups are no issue at all but when I try to restore it stops here everytime

Mine keeps timing out when I'm restoring my post table.

1-_8-__11_11-_3-_z95ntr3v.png

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I'm not sure what "mysqldumber" is as I use cPanel. How fast is your upload speed? If you are attempting a remote database restore, it may be timing out because it's taking too long to upload. I had this problem when I was on dial up...

Rayden

Enthusiast
How about via phpmyadmin? Or via your forum itself? Forums usually have a build in back/restore function in the admin panel.

Joshuad

Developer
This is something that used to give me trouble as well. The software you are using has a timeout feature, and you are hitting a roadblock with it.

From the looks of where you are timing out, divide your backups into 7-10 parts and upload them one by one so that you don't time out.

Orp

ForumsForums.com
If you are allowed to ssh to the server that would eliminate your problem. You will need root access (I think, I always use root and never tried it with another ID).

Once you log on go to the dir where the mysql backup resides (or put full path to backup database in your command. Then issue this command:

mysql -h localhost -u [UserNameWithDBAcess] -p[Password] [NameOfDatabase] < DatabaseBackup.sql

or
mysql -h localhost -u [UserNameWithDBAcess] -p[Password] [NameOfDatabase] < /Path/To/Backup/DatabaseBackup.sql

The [ and ] are not part of the command line. Do not type them in. They surround the items that will be specific to your site/VPS/Server. notice, you do not want a space after the -p, the -p stands for password. Type the password right after the p. -u stands for user. There can be a space between the u and the username but believe it will work either way.

The < is a redirect symbol, it directs the backup as input to the command preceding it.

ssh access will make your life a whole lot easier. Sure there is a bit of a leaning curve but we will help get you there. This way you are doing what the gui is doing behind the scenes.

shrikant12

Neophyte
There may be another issue about "SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with sqldumper so, Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem".

zoldos

Lord Malleus
There may be another issue about "SQLDUMPER library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with sqldumper so, Please uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem".

What's that now?

djbaxter

Tazmanian Veteran
Have you looked at BigDump? http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

I've used it in the past when moving servers. Seems to work as advertised. It basically breaks up the import into manageable chunks to work around time-outs.

NuGamma1998

Neophyte
multipart (10mb) your database then repair and optimize before restoring

I am assuming that you have big board/100K post,,

Last edited:

raindog308

Participant
If you are allowed to ssh to the server that would eliminate your problem. You will need root access (I think, I always use root and never tried it with another ID).

You shouldn't need root - either Unix/Linux root or MySQL root.

mysql -h localhost -u [UserNameWithDBAcess] -p[Password] [NameOfDatabase] < DatabaseBackup.sql

That'll work regardless if you have root assuming your DB credentials and permissions granted are OK.

bitsculpt

Aspirant
On important db's I always use the command line, go to mysql and type: use empty_databasename;
then type: source databasefile.sql