Curious Question

Discussion in 'Computers and Hardware' started by Amaury, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+364
    Not really a troubleshooting question, just trying to think of a reason for this.

My computer crashed on me yesterday for unknown reasons, something that's thankfully pretty rare, while I was recording the final parts of my third walkthrough for Crash Team Racing. Even though the recording wasn't properly stopped, it was still thankfully saved. The recording has a length of 35:39, but when I imported it into Roxio to process it to a format that could be imported to Windows Movie Maker for editing, it only had a length of 25:58. I didn't realize this, though, until I was doing my editing last night, and now I have to redo the fourth and final track of the purple gem cup as well as the Slide Coliseum relic race. When I realized this, I tried importing it again, and, like before, it only imported 25:58. What I don't understand is why. I'd like to guess and say that the video is corrupt, but this is where it gets tricky. I don't think it can be corrupt because if I open the unprocessed video on Windows Media Player, I can watch the whole 35:39 without issues. I would think if the video were corrupt, I'd only be able to watch 25:58, the length that is being imported.

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,755
    It means WMM sucks. :)

Try any other editing software and see if it is imported properly.

I dabble in Sony Vegas.

These are free packages
    https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/free-video-editing-software-windows.html

I know corrupt files can be fixed.
    What file type is it ?

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/repair-corrupt-video-file-vlc-media-player/

players skip over errors, low end video editors ... not so much.

I've had lots of importing problems with WMM.

A transcoder could help.

https://handbrake.fr/

My son likes DaVinci Resolve 14 free version.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  3. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+364
    This has nothing to do with Windows Movie Maker.

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,053
    One thing is sure players are more forgiving then editors. The fastest way to see what is wrong use another free editor and see what happens.

5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    If you have any converter software, try converting it to another format first, then try and edit it.

6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,755
    What type of file is it ?

7. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+364
    It's really moot at this point. Like I said, I was only curious, not actually troubleshooting. I've already redone what I lost and edited and uploaded it. Whatever the issue, it was definitely from my computer crashing and the recording not being stopped properly as I never have issues otherwise.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,053
    Well like i said players are more forgiving, the editors are more difficult unless you have access to let's say Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro. They have better error correction. I think you just had bad luck with the crash think it did a some sort of save and crash in same time. If you can try to fix what cost the crash that way you have a more stable pc.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted