cPanel Price Increase?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Jim McClain, Oct 11, 2019.

1. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,120
    I think Direct Admin will do good business because they are cheap 2 dollar for private is nothing thats great price. Plesk is to expensive if you look to all versions.

2. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+203
    cPanel was far too expensive for me when I changed to a VPS earlier this year. So gave webuzo a go. $25 for a years licence. Very easy to set up and not too different from cPanel I was using on shared hosting before.

Well worth looking around for alternatives.

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Jim, already PM'd you, but to anyone else consider CWPanel Pro if the OS is CentOS Linux. It's free, and very similar to Cpanel. It even imports CPanel backups and site migrations are smooth because of this. They have a Pro version for $1.49/month, and it adds a few extras. It even has https://softaculous.com/ for those of you for use it to install web apps. I've set CWPanel for several clients, and use it one a couple of my servers for clients, etc. - though on my own sites I'm a traditional SSH user. :)

4. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    I'd be very hesitant with CentOS Web Panel. According to some reputable 3rd party security auditors it's riddled with security issues.

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770951
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770951&p=10165237#post10165237
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770951&p=10177806#post10177806

5. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+25
    1 huge plus for DirectAdmin.

they are pretty flexible and even support FreeBSD which is very secure in its core.

It also supports OpenLiteSpeed which in my opinion is better than NGiNX in terms of performance.

6. Some of us need things like Perl. While I haven't checked recently for other options, cPanel does (so far) still offer Perl. (Hi Jonathon! You know me as Dandello)

7. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+50
  8. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Code:
    [root@host directadmin]# perl -v 

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 3 (v5.16.3) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi 
    (with 39 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail) 

Copyright 1987-2012, Larry Wall 

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the 
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit. 

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on 
    this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the 
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    Between Christmas and the cPanel price increase coming up maybe the KH crew can be convinced to bump up existing customers to their next higher level package.* :whistle:

* Hey, it's worth a shot putting that subtle idea in their minds. :LOL:

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
  11. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+119
    Gotta love the bean counters of companies that swallow up stuff like cPanel.

12. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,179
    Sometimes their goal is not necessarily to increase revenue through price increases for the products they already control, but also strengthen certain alternatives after an acquisition or preparing for one. There's money to be made from migrations too, especially if you partially own the alternatives and your ROI is bound to drastically rise.

13. Gladius

Gladius Enthusiast

+26
    Got a similar mail from Liquid Web, only they'll hike up the cPanel prices without absorbing anything on their part, apparently. They are providing free* migrations for anyone on cPanel to Interworx that they bought, but I have no idea how it compares to cPanel in reality vs. the typical marketing comparisons showing that it does everything cPanel does only MORE and BETTER... uh huh. Basically, anyone staying on cPanel is SOL price-wise, but migrating to an unknown control panel is potentially an even worse step.

Edit: apparently the migration to Interworx is not really free for everyone

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  14. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+25
    That is true, how ever making it secure is way easier than other Unix distributions.
    I have two FreeBSD+DirectAdmin servers and I am pretty happy with their performance.

BTW, Here I got great offers for DirectAdmin/unlimited license from their support: https://aionets.com

I got unlimited licenses for Cloud servers for 9.99USD/month which is amazing comparing to alternatives.

15. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+25
    I tested Interworx and to me it was not appealing at all. Its like from 2000s.

DirectAdmin comes with a converter which even converts passwords. The support of the place which I purchased the DA license helped me to convert my cPanel accounts to the new DA server.

16. rhody401

rhody401 Neophyte

+3
    I received a similar note from MDDHOSTING as well, just a day ago, for our reseller account there.

After talking with them, it seems reasonable and necessary for them to provide the same quality level of service.

The vendor is charging them considerably more.

17. davert

davert Enthusiast

+41
    I tried DirectAdmin. I found far too much command-line stuff, rebuilding every time a configuration changes, etc. I also found some oddities in how it handled SSI and php, and got tired of having a window open with forum posts telling how to change configuration files and run the build commands, etc. It does work very nicely for the end-user, though. I was not able to get it to restore from a CPanel backup. Some obscure error I didn't want to chase down. It does look great and runs quickly, when you do the things it can do through the GUI.

I am trying ISPConfig now based on feedback from the security thread. Installing is a bear, command after command after command, but once it's set up - using the extensive instructions - it works nicely. I'm using it with nginx rather than openlitespeed so I can keep using .htaccess files. Configuration stuff is right there in the GUI, though when you hit Save, it just takes you back to the main menu, so you have to make three or four clicks to return to where you started.

It is odd, given all that, that you have to go into command-line to back up and update the ISPConfig software itself! And this is not a simple process, nor one that backs up emails and such...
    https://www.faqforge.com/linux/controlpanels/ispconfig3/how-to-update-ispconfig-3/

Updates should be very simple for something so comprehensive and prone to security issues.

18. Hentai

Hentai Enthusiast

+81
    One of my hosts with my Dedicated Server that previously offered "free" cPanel changed their billing and separated the cPanel license costs from the server pricing. The overall price I pay is the same, but now the true costs are transparent, and if I ever get over 100 cPanel accounts on that server the per-account pricing will take effect.

The other server, a "budget" VPS, was changed to DirectAdmin, because I wasn't willing to pay a cPanel licensing fee that cost more than the overall cost of that VPS. DirectAdmin is serviceable but crude, editing .conf files which used to have a GUI in cPanel now have to be done via command line, the AutoSSL interface is much worse and handles failed verifications terribly.

That being said I will deal with it because no way I am paying the cPanel VPS license costs. The cPanel to DirectAdmin transition was mostly seamless, highly automated, and my web host was able to start it for me with a simple ticket.

19. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Jim McClain what did you think about the upgrade offer email? :)

20. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+636
    Worried? Intimidated? Apprehensive? I don't know. I hate to think I have to go through another server move, but it's probably for the best. I have decided to stay with cPanel. My current account is a managed dedicated server, so I'm hoping the move will be to another managed dedi and it will be more or less painless, even if it means a little down time. I've delayed sending a reply to the email because I have these questions and don't know where to start or whether I need to pay someone to duplicate all the settings they made on my current server to the new server. I don't know if I can trust that KH tech support will replicate them when they switch me over. And I don't know if the new IP addresses will mean more work & worry for me.

But if I have to go through all of this, I would like to set the new server up under a different domain name (it's currently enterprisejm.com and would like to change it to thefloorpro.com - both domains are live on my server now). I suppose the only way to find out about all this is to contact KH support.

21. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Yes please give us a shout back on the email. We have it going to a special queue that only a few of our upper level folks are working. We'll be happy to hold your hand through the whole process and it will be painless for you! We'll review your current server and give you a set of new specs for a new server with the latest and greatest hardware.

PS - If you don't want to move you don't have to, but it's a win/win for you I promise ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.