cPanel Price Increase?

Discussion in 'Servers and Control Panels' started by Jim McClain, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+636
    Last week I got an email from KnownHost about some changes to be made:
    Have any of you, whether from KnownHost or some other hosting provider, received a notification like this?

I have a dedicated server with 4 accounts, each with their own cPanel. Not sure if I should be shopping, or stick with KnownHost. I have only ever used cPanel, so no experience with DirectAdmin or any other control panel.

2. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+202
    I usually use SSH for getting things done, although it does lack some convieniences.

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,233
    Ditto.
    Sounds like cpanel are pricing themselves out of the market.
    I've not used a control panel since the late 2000's (when I used Plesk).

4. Jim McClain

+636
    Not using a control panel is out of the question. I don't have the knowledge or experience to manage my server without a CP. Please don't let this discussion devolve into CP vs. no-CP. Thank you.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  5. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    My VPS is with KnownHost and I got the same email notice.

From reading their blog post comparing cPanel and DirectAdmin I think that short term I'll eat the cost of the extra charge but then eventually switch to DirectAdmin. I prepay for the server annually instead of monthly and it's coming up for renewal this month so I don't want to be changing control panels without much time to really dig into it.

KnownHost has been pretty solid for me in terms of reliability & support so this alone isn't enough for me to consider switching to somebody else.

6. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,180
    cPanel raising costs by 300% will be a boon for Plesk.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,438
    Unfortunately cPanel and Plesk are both owned by the same private equity investor, Oakley Capital. They have also acquired through Plesk, SolusVM a provider of VPS management software.

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,180
    I was aware both shared ownership but initially assumed the plan was to run them with different steategies suiting premium and budget users alike.
    Funny how in late 2017 Plesk also raised its prices as high as this summer with cPanel :eek:

9. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Jim McClain for transparency, I work at KnownHost.

We tried to keep the increase as reasonable as possible. Over the years we've ate several increases from cPanel without passing them on to customers but this one is simply too much to bear and this can be seen across the hosting industry.

Plesk is indeed owned by the same VC conglomerate which is why we're now recommending DirectAdmin, and actively moving people to DA. I'd say 95% of people who have migrated have been quite pleased with it and about 5% have opted to go back/stay with cPanel after their migration.

PS - keep yours ears open for the impending email with further updates about the new datacenter and dedicated servers. You're going to get some hefty upgrade offers at no cost to you with an entirely new management system for them with tons of new bells and whistles ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,438
  11. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Thanks! Daniel has had an account here for a while I believe and I just never got around to making one but I've been lurking for a while :) Another user of ours actually pointed out this thread to me.

12. Andro

Andro Aspirant

+13
    :whistle:

Welcome to TAZ, JonathanW. :tup:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  13. overcast

overcast Adherent

+69
    At this rate, I am sure there will be some sort of open source solution that may soon people will be migrating too. We just need someone to do it.

14. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    I wish, but I kind of doubt it. Attempts at such things are usually riddled with security vulnerabilities and end up abandoned. Too many people want too many different things.

I think cPanel has triggered what will become a vast split up of market share. DirectAdmin is getting a lot right now, but there are also others stepping up and I think over the next few years we'll see cPanel drop as king supreme in market share and I don't know that a single panel will take that crown again honestly, which is good for the industry as a whole but developers will have to work harder to make moving from other platforms to their own easier.

15. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,225
    Anything that'll tempt me if I'm already on Cloud-3? :coffee:

16. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Cloud is getting some beefy upgrades as well. It will be the first product line to move to the new DC actually. The migrations will start ramping up for cloud within the next month. The new storage platform for Cloud is absolutely incredible and translates to huge speed improvements!

What you'll find with our new dedicated offerings is much more affordable hardware upgrades and entry-level servers. When adding on management they'll be similar price points to what we have now, but for better hardware with more reasonable upgrade options and flexibility. Oh yeah, and gigabit ports for all dedis with no upcharge, as well as a private networking port.

EDIT: dedis will also have full access to IPMI, power controls, an HTML5 console, OS reloads, etc.

17. Jim McClain

+636
    Thanks JonathanW. I'm still not sure what my server costs will be if I stick with cPanel; that wasn't very clear in the email. But I'm an old guy and change is difficult for most people and even more so for old people. One of the reasons I like KnownHost so much is the managed services and support I get. I've been with half a dozen different hosts over the last 15 or 20 years and I KnownHost is the only one I have come back to. Since I rely so much on the management of KH (and I've paid MattW to work his magic before), maybe switching to DirectAdmin wouldn't be the problem for me that I worry it will.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for the upgrade offers. While I generally like free stuff, I don't if it's just fluff I don't really need.

18. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Jim McClain it's good stuff, not just fluff. All new and better hardware, etc.

The gist of it is that your price will go up by $12/mo if you stick with cPanel. To pay that or swap to DA is totally up to you. This $12 only partially covers the increase we saw from cPanel :(

19. Jim McClain

+636
    But I have 5 accounts, each with their own cPanel and I have 2 more IP addresses that could be used for 2 more accounts. This is why I was confused. Is it a $12 increase for each account that uses a cPanel, or just for the single dedi. If the latter, 12 bucks isn't that big a deal.

20. JonathanW

JonathanW Aspirant

+15
    Just $12 for the entire server.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.