cPanel AutoSSL by Comodo vs LetsEncrypt

Discussion in 'Domains and SSL Certificates' started by djbaxter, Jul 1, 2018.

1. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+457
    I'm currently using certificates installed by cPanel AutoSSL (certificates are from Comodo) which works perfectly except the certificates are identified as the server, not the domain.

See update below.

I've tried installing LetsEncrypt several times without success using various methods including certbot, without success.

I've just read in another thread about GetSSL and I'm wondering if it's worth continuing the struggle.

The major question for me is are the certificates from LetsEncrypt true domain certificates?

The server is CENTOS 7.5 with WHM and cPanel.

According to the 2016 cPanel post regarding AutoSSL at cPanel & WHM's AutoSSL | cPanel Blog it's supposed to be installing domain certificates:

Extremely easy to set up and maintain.

But... browsers and FileZilla see them as server-based not domain-based.

See update below.

cPanel also stated in that blog post:

Well, I'm now up to WHM version v70.0.51 and I still don't see LetsEncrypt.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Update: Well, I've been wrestling with this issue off and on for quite a while now on the back burner. In the interim, I've migrated to a new Hivelocity dedicated server, and it appears either the hosting change or cPanel updates has resolved the issue.

Chrome was always the most critical when it came to this and now when I check a domain using AutoSSL Chrome tells me the certificate is in fact issued to that domain, not to the server.

I'm not sure when this happens but I think that resolves the problem for me - unless I'm missing something.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+754
    both cPanel AutoSSL and Letsencrypt ssl certificates are same true domain validated ssl certificates so either one is fine to use. If you're using cPanel AutoSSL without issues, you can stick with them :)

3. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+457
    Thank you, eva2000eva2000, for confirming that. :)

4. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,082
    Should you decide to change, GetSSL is very easy to use, it maintains all my SSL certificates from Lets Encrypt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  5. HD-Sam

HD-Sam Neophyte

+6
    Concur with eva2000eva2000.
    With cPanel it's very simple.

My only suggestion is to log into WHM and ensure AutoSSL can replace invalid or expiring non-cPanel certs. Otherwise if you're using a Paid Certificate it may not issue you one from cPanel.

WHM --> Manage AutoSSL --> Options --> Check the box for "Allow AutoSSL to replace invalid or expiring non-AutoSSL certificates."

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.