CovenantForum (a decentralised forum script)

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by cheat_master30, Mar 1, 2019.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,049
    Just came across it on Hacker News, and it seems like an interesting enough concept:

https://github.com/CovenantSQL/CovenantForum

Basically, the data is hosted in a decentralised blockchain, and anyone who installs the script can use the same data on their site. So if your forum goes down, someone else can use the same details to set it up on their own server and keep it running. Interesting concept.

Do wish it wasn't JavaScript reliant though, since there's no real reason this sort of thing has to use it, and it feels like a step back in that respect.

But yeah, what do you think about it? Would you ever run a decentralised forum?

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. Karll

Karll Adherent

+150
    What is wrong with Javascript?

I'm more surprised they're apparently developing their own database system for this, CovenantSQL.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of a completely decentralised forum yet.

3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,649
    I think its a very interesting concept. Decentralized forums could in essence all forums to exists even if censorship prohibits the forums from existing.
    I do wonder about member data and privacy.

4. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+115
    The moment I saw blockchain, I just thought... No.

And blockchains are easier to censor than you think, you just need 51% of the network to agree and often times, 51% of the compute power of the network can be represented by a single organisation.

Sometimes, you'll even get 90% of the compute power of a network represented by a dozen people sitting in a room.

Governments haven't quite come to grips with them yet, so they haven't been doing any serious work in actually manipulating them, except maybe suppressing the gambling games which the investors like doing.

Also, anything to do with blockchain will cost you a thousand times more than just running a regular server.

You might also want to look at this: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47130268

It's not a matter of whether they're crackdown on them, but when.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+231
    I dont quiet understand how a blockchain would make any sense in this application, just because its blockchain doesnt make it decentralised.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.