cost of photopost and disk storage vs membership cost?

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by jilly, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jilly

jilly Fan

+0
    i am considering getting photopost for my board, and I wanted some opinions on how much storage space would be reasonable for a member if Icharged them something like $5 a month - i dont want the extra bandwidth and storage space to cost me more than what I charge them for the extra option!

2. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+46
    Hmmm, well I use photopost as a benefit for paid members and I haven't noticed that the costs go up much higher. The storage is not a problem for me since storage is the cheapest part (I think?) for hosting fees. Its bandwidth on my site that gets so high.

But you can set limits to the sizes of photos and not allow humongous elephant photos that would make gift wrap for a birthday bicycle. :yup:

I did have to add a few things to my server to make photopost functional. Image fixing stuff. After that was installed...it was a snap and integrated nicely with my vbulletin. My members like it and I think the subscriptions I get in return outweigh the costs on my end....atleast for me.

3. jilly

jilly Fan

+0
    how much storage?

how much storage do you give each user? - and how much is your fee per user?

4. wizard1974uk

wizard1974uk Tazmanian Gremlin

+20
    Are you taking photopost into consideration when looking for a new suitable host as in your thread about looking for a new host?

5. jilly

jilly Fan

+0
    i guess...

does that make a difference? I dont have photopost now, but am considering getting it..

6. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+46

Each user is allowed: 1024KB. Subscriptions on my site are 25.00 per year. They get photopost and other features (avatars for the main one. Registered members are not allowed avatars)

7. vB Floris

vB Floris vbfans.com

+24
    Paying for traffic is where the killer is indeed. If you get enough bandw. you will (in most cases) also have enough space to host it on.

You could make it very simple and allow the end-user to decide what he wants, when signing up for this. You could decide to have a 1mb = 0,50$ and then request the user to either enter the amount he wants to pay, or the amount of space they want.

I personally would charge for this, since I would have to pay for the traffic too.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted