Featured Considering a change from IPS4 to XF2, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Dubbed Navigator, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Enthusiast

+73
    IPS do keep surprising me with what they are coming out with. The sharing of content to facebook groups for instance, is something I would have thought all the softwares would have done at the same time as enabling it to pages.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,763
    That’s such nonsense I’m not sure where to begin really.

3. Dubbed Navigator

+73
    You must have some examples you can base that on?

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,112
    Wait a bit while he reaches behind to try and pull something out. :whistle:

If he would compare where IPS 4.0 was in it's original rewrite to where XF 2.0 is in it's current rewrite I think he'd find that XF2 is much more stable and mature than IPS 4.0 was.
    As for the developers... got news for him, I have MUCH more faith in the XF developers than I do the IPS ones. I don't ever remember repeatedly seeing an XF release come out and 2-3 days later (a week at most) a point update coming out to fix bugs that the release had.... and I DO remember seeing that regularly with IPS, especially in the early iterations of 4.0.

5. Pete

Pete Habitué

+230
    Nah, they haven't. It's more a function of time and money than anything else. XF have three developers - how many do IPS have?

6. Pete

Pete Habitué

+230
    Unlikely. FB are very protective of access to their API, and posting to pages is significantly easier to obtain application permission for (since they have to approve it) than posting to groups, or at least it was when I still maintained a platform whose principle point was content distribution through the various platforms. I don't remember ever successfully getting long term access to post to groups while I worked at that place, but we had access for pages for every site we span up.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,284
    I agree that IPS is currently ahead in terms of functionality. However I also believe XF2 is a major upgrade over XF1 because it provides a far better platform for future upgrades. The functionality may be similar but I'm sure that will added to in a substantial way very soon. The developers have years of experience creating solid forum software and I'm sure they have not reach any limits in terms of functionality that's to come and the coding quality that will come with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Dubbed Navigator

+73
    I didn't realise there is a different access level between pages and groups, interesting.

9. Pete

Pete Habitué

+230
    Posting to profile is the easiest, posting to pages requires a video talking through how users use it and giving FB a test login to verify you do what you say you do. Groups was even more strict from what I remember, but then I escaped from that and now ply my dev trade in the e-learning sector - altogether more healthy for me!

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,400
    Groups are very hard to post in automaticly, there scripts for it but there expensive and stop working after sometime. Also our account gets suspended realy fast.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted