Considering a change from IPS4 to XF2, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Dubbed Navigator, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Enthusiast

+80
    IPS do keep surprising me with what they are coming out with. The sharing of content to facebook groups for instance, is something I would have thought all the softwares would have done at the same time as enabling it to pages.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,830
    That’s such nonsense I’m not sure where to begin really.

3. Dubbed Navigator

+80
    You must have some examples you can base that on?

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+3,393
    Wait a bit while he reaches behind to try and pull something out. :whistle:

If he would compare where IPS 4.0 was in it's original rewrite to where XF 2.0 is in it's current rewrite I think he'd find that XF2 is much more stable and mature than IPS 4.0 was.
    As for the developers... got news for him, I have MUCH more faith in the XF developers than I do the IPS ones. I don't ever remember repeatedly seeing an XF release come out and 2-3 days later (a week at most) a point update coming out to fix bugs that the release had.... and I DO remember seeing that regularly with IPS, especially in the early iterations of 4.0.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+542
    Nah, they haven't. It's more a function of time and money than anything else. XF have three developers - how many do IPS have?

6. Pete

+542
    Unlikely. FB are very protective of access to their API, and posting to pages is significantly easier to obtain application permission for (since they have to approve it) than posting to groups, or at least it was when I still maintained a platform whose principle point was content distribution through the various platforms. I don't remember ever successfully getting long term access to post to groups while I worked at that place, but we had access for pages for every site we span up.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,628
    I agree that IPS is currently ahead in terms of functionality. However I also believe XF2 is a major upgrade over XF1 because it provides a far better platform for future upgrades. The functionality may be similar but I'm sure that will added to in a substantial way very soon. The developers have years of experience creating solid forum software and I'm sure they have not reach any limits in terms of functionality that's to come and the coding quality that will come with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Dubbed Navigator

+80
    I didn't realise there is a different access level between pages and groups, interesting.

9. Pete

+542
    Posting to profile is the easiest, posting to pages requires a video talking through how users use it and giving FB a test login to verify you do what you say you do. Groups was even more strict from what I remember, but then I escaped from that and now ply my dev trade in the e-learning sector - altogether more healthy for me!

10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,648
    Groups are very hard to post in automaticly, there scripts for it but there expensive and stop working after sometime. Also our account gets suspended realy fast.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. fixer

fixer “You're a daisy if you do!”

+413
    i can pull and push to facebook all day long with or with out owners permission , pages or “open” groups

you can use wordpress as a bot send it to gather the information, import it as posts then export as rss then use rss feeder to pull into your forum ... done

12. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+239
    How are you finding the changes? Especially user experience? Has your memberbase increased?
    Any flaws you find niggle you? Anything missing that XF has or vice versa - what you have that doesn't exist in XF 1/2?
    Just looking for general feedback from someone who has obviously made the jump. :)

13. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+775
    IPS and XF2 are both very good - no-one would be disappointed with either out of the box. The downfall, so far, of XF is that it relies heavily on 3rd party developers to fill the gaps that it fails to fill; this may change with future iterations, but nothing has been said about what 2.1 (and future updates) will bring. I have both and I love both for different reasons - I don't look at cost (well, not really) as anything I do is for my own self, though I do hope that what I do will help others along the way. I NEVER monetise my sites, nor do I subject my audience to adverts (I hate them in all incarnations with a vengeance).

Whichever you decide to stick with, you won't be totally disappointed. Both have merits, both have limitations, it's really down to you to decide which is best for you. Whatever you do, wait a little while to see what transpires - it may be worth the wait.

;)

14. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+239
    Yeah that is where I am at with XF. I have a huge amount of add-ons both off the shelf and custom made ones. I am the same with regards to cost and also with ads. I run no ads whatsoever and no inclination to do so.
    But, I am torn right now between the two mostly due to mobile use and from what I can gather, IPS seems to be a better experience for users on mobile phones etc.

15. Dubbed Navigator

+80
    In short, I havent changed over in the end, at least not yet. Mainly due to the fact that I havent found anything remotely close to my current style, which my member base all enjoy.

Plus when I heard about what IPS4.3 is going to be bringing, it also made me hesitate. We share widely to our facebook group, and making that easier is a great selling point.

16. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Adherent

+239
    Okay interesting.
    What made you hesitate exactly? If I may..
    Also thanks for taking the time to reply.

17. Oldsmoboi

Oldsmoboi Fan

+245
    I don't know what it is like to run an XF 2.0 site, but IPS 4.3 has really matured to a whole new level. I have been a vocal critic of IPS in the past. Most of what you describe on your wishlist is doable. Headstand's Newsletters app will help you on that front, it's pricey, but worth it.

18. Dubbed Navigator

+80
    I'm actually really starting to like IPS, although the biggest difficulty for me at the moment is bringing my newsletters in line with GDPR.

Posting to facebook groups did look possible with 4.3, but as I found out - pretty dramatic changes to the API have made it very difficult.

19. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+97
    Now a very recent convert from XF to IPS, been with XF since the very first day it was released, I can say that if you just want a great forum, go XF, if you want a great web site, go IPS

It is that simple in my opinion.

I moved from XF to IPS because I wanted an incredible, great and powerful web site

20. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+97
    In fact, here is the proof. I switched from XF to IPS a few days ago and some users complained so I switched back just to run a poll which is running right now to get the user's preference and well, a picture says more than words:

1.jpg

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.