Come on Google! My site is not about Elvis!

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by preservationrecords, Apr 19, 2004.

1. preservationrecords

preservationrecords Aspirant

+0
    I put up a site poll on my site the other day that asked "Was Elvis a musician?" Alright...it was a dumb poll...I know. But that's not the problem.

This poll was originally located in a side column box (column 1) directly underneath the menu box. When I look at the cache of my site at google (site:www.xyz.com), most of the entries have the Elvis question on there and none of the actual content of that page!

And what's worse, for awhile there, my front page adsense ads were all about Elvis Memorabilia! and Elvis Movies Cheap! and Vegas Baby! - things like that.

So I've move the site poll box to a different location, but here's the question:

Is it possible to put some code on my site that will direct the search engine spiders to the important part of the page (i.e., the center column)? And ignore the rest?

:elvis: - "Heya! Who wants some memorabilia!? Colonel! Get me some memorabilia!”

2. Lugh

Lugh Habitué

+5
    You seem to be aware that the spiders read your page in the sequence it appears in the HTML, and pays greater attention to the first bits. I'm not aware of any code to alter this, although using <H> tags might help.

If you know CSS, then it's easy to achieve what you want--the important content can appear first in the HTML, but be positioned down or to the right in the page.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.