Collaborative Forum Application (sort of)

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by mrrumfoord, Jan 15, 2004.

1. mrrumfoord

mrrumfoord Neophyte

+0
    Hello,

I am the VP of Business Development at My2Centences in New York City (www.my2c.com). We're a non-traditional film production company because we're two years into the development of a collaborative post/forum application called "Fanlib" for which the most immediate consumer is most likely community oriented fan sites and fan fiction sites. To learn a little more about the application, please see:

http://snitchseeker.fanlib.com/RulesInfo.htm

We launched a beta test screenplay event (called the "Potter Project") on Snitchseeker, which is a Harry Potter fanfiction site, and the results were promising. Over the course of the event, the site's membership increased from 9,000 to 20,000 and their ad revenue increased by 80%.

The business development team here at My2c is trying to evaluate the potential market for this: :banghead: ...and we're having some trouble. There's just not a lot of research I can find on the size of the very-community-focused market. I thought that someone here might be willing to help me find some figures or point me in the right direction.

Because vBulletin has market share of sites that value a functioning and active community, I think there may be a quantifiable and significant portion of the webmasters who use vBulletin who would love to add the functions that fanlib makes available to an existing community base. I think Jelsoft might even be interested in reselling fanlib to its existing vBulletin customers, perhaps as a part of the CMS/Portal Package it (as I've heard) plans to sell as a seperate add-on.

Any help/comments on this matter or very very appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+44
    I'm unsure how the application/add-on works. I can't speak for Jelsoft, but they don't market any of the many add-on applications that many of the community owners use. The folks who create add-ons for community softwares market them directly through advertising.

As for finding communities that might be interested in research for your project feasibility, have you found the list of vbulletin community owners at jelsoft's website? You can search by category there.

3. mrrumfoord

mrrumfoord Neophyte

+0
    As of right now (still in development) it works the way it works on the potter project - the link put in my last post - and the event resulted in seven winning scenes like:

http://snitchseeker.fanlib.com/script.htm?Next=1&RoundID=67

The event is over, so it's set as a neverending round for the time being, which is confusing.

It's really more than just an add on to vBullentin or Power Board. As far as the potter project event was concerned, there's almost no integration whatsoever. Fanlib acts as a totally seperate webtool that gives the webmaster the ability to run events like the potter project where people who like to write fictional stories compete and ultimate create a collaboratively written script over the course of several weeks.

We're considering more advanced integration aspects to it that would allow site members to seamlessly move between fanlib and the site's message boards. If you scroll to the bottom of the winning script at the link above, you'll see that there isn't much room for each comment, so we're thinking the whole thing would work better if there was an entire message board there instead for comment threads.

Can you tell me who some of these developers are? - the "folks who create add-ons"

Are any of them similar to the Fanlib software in terms of adding a relatively unique and robust functionality?

Does Jelsoft have a different home page from www.vbulletin.com? 'Cause I went to the site map there and couldn't find that list. Please tell me where it is.

Thanks.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+2,368
    Try the Links from their Home Page.

5. Kathy

Kathy Tazmanian Veteran

+44
    A few that I'm aware of...

Photopost Hivemail Miraserver VirtuaNews

These are a few that function as a standalone website feature or integrated within a community.

6. mrrumfoord

mrrumfoord Neophyte

+0
    Thanks. That's helpful. Does vBulletin automatically create a link there for every site that uses the software, or does a webmaster have to make the effort to create the link?

I guess what I'm asking is: Does that list of links represent only a small number of the communities out there using vBulletin, or would you say it's a fairly complete list?

7. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+2,368
    vBulletin license holders go to the "Member's Area" and submit their site via a form. These requests are validated by Jelsoft staff before the link appears.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted