Cloud Cloud VPS?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by DaveL, May 3, 2019.

1. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Probably a silly question, but is Centminmod a replacement for Plesk?

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,108
    No Plesk is a full control panel Centminmod is not that. Centiminmod is optimized for preformance.

3. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Ah ok. Been trying to read up and it and getting no where fast!

4. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
  5. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    I saw this in the faq which confused me

The goal of the Centmin Mod menu based installation was to make it easier to manage without the aid of a control panel. Centmin Mod definitely doesn't work with WHM/Cpanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    Let me put it this way:

Pro's:
    • highly optimized package suited for xenforo
    • includes all the best modules and server software
    • better performance means less server resources needed
    Con's:
    • works through command line. i.e. no admin panel. There is a learning curve.
    This is why I advised to hire someone like MattW or mysiteguy to set it up.

7. we_are_borg

+2,108
    Centiminmod is a high learning curve if you do not know certain tasks trough command line you will need help, this will cost money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Thanks. I think it's something I'll give a miss. Hopefully moving from shared to vps will be a speed increase!

9. we_are_borg

+2,108
    Dont forget with plesk you can setup ngnix proxy and additional cache. So while not 100% optimized you can create a nice boost.

10. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Ah, will have to start looking into that, thanks.

11. we_are_borg

+2,108
    You can even download Lightspeed add-on for more performance boost.

12. Ali.Ch

Ali.Ch Aspirant

+22
    If I were you I would not use cPanel or Plesk. They are both resource heavy and since you are looking for an entry level VPS, I would recommend using DirectAdmin.

As I mentioned before I registered my domains at Aionets.com, recently (about 3 months ago) I ordered a Cloud Server (2 VCPU and 4GB of RAM) from them with DirectAdmin license. Since I didn't want to pay alot, I did not order a support plan and I asked then for FreeBSD to be installed as my operating system. Now I am almost managing everything myself using DirectAdmin and sometimes I ask their support for basic stuffs and they are pretty helpful. Good enough for me.

After 3 months I am in love with FreeBSD/NGiNX and PHP-FPM :D

Including the DirectAdmin license I am paying 9.95 USD/month with no limitation on domains :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  13. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Sods law! Still waiting for my VPS to be set up. Contacted Strato (Thanks again Google Translate!) and they are sending a PIN to my home address as a security measure! Hopefully Germany to UK post wont take too long!

14. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Thanks for that. In the grand scheme of things, my forum is small - just slightly too big for shared hosting.

15. we_are_borg

+2,108
    My PIN was done by phone i needed to provide a phone number and bank account.

16. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Ah interesting.
    I had to provide bank account details when I signed up, so they have them details. I did email back asking if I could send them a copy of my driving licence to try and speed things along.

17. we_are_borg

+2,108
    Well i paid with ideal (Netherlands bank payment) so you pay like x amount and you are done.

18. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    In the end I went with Contabo - Very impressed with what you get for the price and the customer service is top knotch.

19. Exa-Kent

Exa-Kent Aspirant

+2
    Buddy, I think you can try the cloud VPS because loading speed will become faster than shared hosting if traffic increasing more and more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.