Cloud Cloud VPS?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by DaveL, May 3, 2019.

1. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Hi everyone, really looking for some help. My site is currently on a shared hosting plan, however I think i've know outgrown this.

I'm looking to move and been reading about cloud VPS? Wonder if anyone could recommend, or may suggested a shared hosting package that may suit my needs.

My current issue is slow running site sometimes with "Resource Limit Reached" down pages.

I have onme Xenforo forum. Bandwidth is about 110GB a month. My site is www.AirportCityGame.com

Thanks in advance and happy to answer any questions.

Dave

2. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+279
    What is your budget? How much are you paying now and how much are you willing to pay?
    Obviously as cheap as possible but we need some numbers.

The 2nd question is if you want to manage things yourself or not. If you are willing to learn light-core server management (see Centmin Mod), then you can get VPS for 2-20 $ range, usually the 5$ plans would suffice. However, if you can't manage it yourself, a managed VPS would be around 25$-50$ and upwards I would say. Talking about monthly prices.

3. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    For hosting im currently paying £79 a year. I understand vps is going to be a bit more, but wanted to try and keep as close to this as possible.

I'd be looking at managed for an easier life!

4. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,108
    Where do you host atm and in what country.

5. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    I currently use www.ezee.co.uk in the UK.

I'm currently looking at the option on OVH.co.uk - They offer VPS SSD for £5.99 a month:

OpenStack KVM
    1 vCore(s)
    From 2 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    40 GB SSD NEW
    Local RAID

However adding on cPanel adds an additional £8.49 a month. I've only used cPanel before. Are any of the following options they offer just as easy to use?

vps.png

6. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Looking into it, I'm guessing Parallels Plesk 12 Webadmin would be perfect?

7. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Looking at OVH - Which would be the best option out of these two?

Cloud RAM VPS
    OpenStack KVM
    1 vCore(s) - 2GHz
    6 GB RAM
    25 GB SSD NEW
    OpenStack KVM

or

VPS SSD
    1 vCore(s) - 2 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    40 GB SSD NEW
    Local RAID
    OpenStack KVM

Seems that the Cloud RAM VPS is the best option of databases - So would be better for a forum?

8. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Or Strato.de

• 4 CPU vCores
    • 8 GB RAM guaranteed
    • 500 GB SSD
    • Connection up to 500 MBit / s
    • Traffic Unlimited

9. we_are_borg

+2,108
    I am with Strato in the Netherlands (from 2016) and its great everything i have is in Germany, helpdesk is good but if its low priority it can be slow. The one you want is good enough for some time, also it includes Plesk.

10. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Brilliant, thank you.
    When I sign up I will be using Google Translate - However just wondering whether the control panel/Plesk will be in English - otherwise i'm a bit stumped!

11. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+46
    I'd recommend either OVH or Vultr if you are on low budget. If you have some decent budget as in 15$ per month then go with DigitalOcean's 15$ droplet which is good enough for this requirement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Thanks, what's going to be the most important factor - Is it the RAM or the amount of cores?
    Current problem is at times my site is slow loading and often with the "Resource Limit Reached" error page

13. we_are_borg

+2,108
    English should be default language if not you should be sble to buy it.

14. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    I like Digital Ocean and Vultr. Both are quite cheap and good. These start at $5 a month and go up depending on how much you need. You can easily scale up in various ways:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/
    https://www.vultr.com/

If you need server management then contact someone who is specialized in xenforo like MattW or mysiteguy
    Do add Centminmod and mariaDB.

15. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Thanks everyone. Just signed up tp Strato.de for £6 a month. Just waiting for it to be set up.

Will have a look at cnetminmod and mariaDB - Never really used a VPS so will have to have a bit of a study to install!

• 4 GB of RAM guarantees (instead of 2 GB) for more power
    • 2 CPU vCores (instead of 1) for compute-intensive tasks
    • Highly efficient 300 GB SSD / HDD instead (50 GB)
    • Ideal for developers and multiple websites
    • Perfect for resource hungry CMS

16. we_are_borg

+2,108
    Does two are really expensive for 4GB memory you pay at least 20 dollars without a control panel.

17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    You can add the software you need with 1 click app installs:
    https://www.vultr.com/apps/
    https://marketplace.digitalocean.com/category/all

I don't think either are expensive. But strato looks nice as well. I see stato has unlimited bandwidth. With Vultr and DO they give you a very significant amount of free bandwidth.With stratos they limit network connection to 100mbit/s on the $5 plan. It seems stratos offers different plans for the UK:
    https://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/hosting/
    They advertise PHP5 which cant be right.

18. we_are_borg

+2,108
    Strato Germany is a bit cheaper then Netherlands and its faster its about 3 euro difference for the VPS. Dedicated is expensive with them you are better off with Hetzner server auction is great same config is 50% cheaper there with plesk.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  19. DaveL

DaveL Habitué

+202
    Strato UK didn't seem to offer anything similar to the other countries so went with Strato.de (Thank you Google Translate!)

I was looking at the 5 euro option when the 7 euro special offer popped up with everything doubled. Hopefully should see the difference moving from shared hosting!

20. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+46
    RAM is usually the issue when resource limit specific issues occurs. Cores hardly have influence on memory issues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.