Clean install of vB4 and import db data of existing vB4 install

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by nordwulf, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM.

1. nordwulf

nordwulf Aspirant

+5
    Our site is 7 years old and many plugins and themes were installed and removed through the years. With most uninstalls, the files are left on the server, some other files had to be modified and were never changed back and a lot of old database tables in use by those plugins are still in the database. And other vB tables may have had new fields added or other table updates.

I would like to do a fresh install of the vB4 files with a new database, install the one theme we currently use and a few other plugins. How would I go about importing data from the current database without importing any unused data and tables from those old plugins? I could compare the current database tables with the new default install but just deleting old tables may cause issues to the existing tables.

Any other issues to look out for? I appreciate your time when you can offer any tips and suggestions. :tup:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+106
    What's currently installed - plugin and theme wise - that is essential to your site's success??

3. nordwulf

nordwulf Aspirant

+5
    Theme is by PureVB. There aren't really any plugins that are essential but I have the following on the site that I would like to keep.
    • DownloadsII
    • Spam-o-matic
    • Tapatalk
    • Thumbs Up
    • Viglink
    • Watermark attachments
    Site is http://saabworld.net

4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,549
    There's really no way to do what you want... Best use of time would be to manually go through your files and database tables removing those which you no longer need, having a full backup so you can restore to in case you delete something by mistake. In terms of add-ons adding additional columns, the majority of add-ons would only have reason to edit the user, post, thread, or forum tables.

5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+236
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around add-ons not having uninstall code in place to remove any added columns/tables. I've always written my vB products that way, and I assumed virtually everyone else did as well. :D

6. nordwulf

nordwulf Aspirant

+5
    I was looking at the Suspect File Versions feature in admincp and that showed quite a few files with names from old plugins. So I'll just start there and remove old files, delete the unused tables from the database and not worry about any changes to other tables. We're not experiencing any problems but I just like to clean up old stuff.

7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,549
    That is true, the majority, perhaps vast majority, will remove their own changes when you run the uninstall. Leftover tables are only when mods are "permanently disabled" (but never actually uninstalled) or really poorly coded.

Note- you should never uninstall any add-ons that ship with your version of vBulletin. Just keep those disabled.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 8:34 AM
  8. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,257
    You should not disable the CMS or Blogs, just disable peoples permissions to them.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted