Chrome plans to cripple ad blockers

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by MagicalAzareal, May 29, 2019.

1. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+206
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Fantastic news. Hopefully it will put a dent in the number of leaches visiting.

3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062
    They might change their mind when Chrome users change to other browsers.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    I've been using Firefox for 15 years now, and I'm a loyal fan, but if they took away my ability to block ads, I'd find another browser real quicklike. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    Same here. UBlock origin has been a godsend, and I install similar plugins on every browser I use.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    No way am I ditching ublock for any of my personal PC's, business computers and those of friends and family.

If this happens we'll switch to firefox straight away. No brainer.

7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,701
    • List
  8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    If you browse mostly at home, you might want to consider setting up a cheap pihole as an DNS server. It will remove ads and tracking scripts at that device's level, so you might not need ad blockers installed on all your mobile devices, browsers and smartv...

More https://pi-hole.net/

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Anakin

Anakin Neophyte

+2
    Ah, Google doing the evil things they swore not to do.

LeadCrow Pihole works at DNS level only. Content blockers also work for, well, content. For example, you can't block Youtube ads at DNS level, but you can with a content blocker like uBlock Origin installed in the browser.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  10. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    Ad blockers did it to themselves. They block all ads, which is a mistake. All ads aren't problematic. Blocking all ads is overkill and really makes ad companies like google look for work arounds. If ad blockers would have gone after problematic ads, or maybe blocked all but the first 3 ads on a page, or something more reasonable like that, people wouldnt be looking to get around them.

11. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Throw in their extortion practices as well to get on their whitelists, and these companies certainly fall into the "do evil" category themselves.

12. Joeychgo

+3,458
    Yeah. My point is, they could have blocked ads in a more reasonable manner, which would have encouraged sites and ad companies to step up their game and improve.

13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    I still maintain that ad-blockers would do better to install with nothing blocked.

14. MagicalAzareal

+206
    Uh. No. When you download an add-on to block ads, you don't want to block "some" of the ads but all of the ads. Add-ons which aren't capable of doing this perish in the free market.

15. Joeychgo

+3,458
    and that is overkill. You want to block when there is too many ads, or obnoxious ads -- but to block ALL ads is overkill, which encourages ad companies like google and website owners to look for ways around it.

16. MagicalAzareal

+206
    People don't like ads, so they go for the add-on which is best at getting rid of them.
    There have been plenty of "acceptable ads" initiatives and they have failed.

17. Joeychgo

+3,458
    Too bad. Websites have to be paid for somehow. People need to get over it. I welcome browsers screwing with adblockers.

18. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    I downloaded an ad-blocker to block the ads on one site only because a) it crashed my browser and b) their pop-ads contain sound. Ad-blockers are also extreamly useful for confirming those 'bugs' that are not bugs reported by people using ad-blockers.

It doesn't bother me too much if people use ad-blockers, I just wish there was one that allowed you to create your own blacklist.

19. MagicalAzareal

+206
    They do allow you to do that, to my knowledge.

20. Jura

Jura Devotee

+236
    I sometimes make an exception for a site I like if they ask to disable my blocker without putting a big message right in view of everything or block all the content till their site is unblocked. Like just ask a lil nicely and put what you use to put ads on the site.

Look at it from an end user. Look at how hostile Reddit is to smaller sites. Subs limit what image hosts to use, what video sites to link to, and generally hostile to anything they haven't seen before. You're either out to infect them with something, scam, fill Reddit with your site's links, or to make money off them. People think having a .com means you're a company.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.