Character Replacement - What Gives?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by BGObsession, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BGObsession

BGObsession Aspirant

+30
    As owner of an NFL fan forum, I am fortunate to receive team press updates directly from our team's PR department. I generally copy and paste these updates into a new thread on my site.

Over the past 24 hours I've noticed that the paste job I am doing contains numerous errors. Primarily the 'error' I am seeing is that any instances of a dash ('-') are being replaced with a question mark ('?') when I paste the text into a thread. I'm not sure it's only limited to dashes, seems like it may be a few other characters as well.

This does not occur when I copy and paste the content via my iphone, only from a laptop.

I have installed several minor mods over the past few days, as well as the Dragonbyte 'User Tagging' mod. I'm wondering if that is the culprit?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated in advance.

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,614
    #1 Try to use another browser on your laptop.
    #2 Do not use the BBcode editor when pasting.

One or two of the above options could solve the problem.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. BGObsession

BGObsession Aspirant

+30
    Not using anything but a straight cut and paste from an email into a 'new thread'. I can try another browser - just not sure why I would suddenly be experiencing this when I've done this countless times previously without the issue?

4. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+575
    Try copying into a plain text editor like Notepad++, and then copy from the editor into your post. Use Source Mode to see if any weird formatting codes are being added. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • List
  5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,614
    The OS has been updated.
    The browser's been updated.
    The forum software's been updated.
    PHP, MySQL's been updated.
    etc.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. BGObsession

BGObsession Aspirant

+30
    Yeah - pasting into notepad and then into new thread results in same issue. Btw - the issue is that all quote characters (both " and ') are replaced by question marks... Does it in all browsers. And doesn't matter which email reader I use. I have updated almost every aspect of my site over the past 3 months but this issue only recently started. It seems isolated to copying and pasting from emails from this one NFL source. When I copy and paste email content from other sources that contains a " or ' the character replacement doesn't occur. I may just need to work around it, not sure it's worth the time troubleshooting. I did disable all recent mods and that had no impact.

7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,578
    In Language Manager, edit the English language (assuming site is in English) and take not of the HTML Character Set. (Write it down or copy and paste it somewhere.) Change it from whatever it was to UTF-8 and save changes.

See if you notice and problems with existing content and then see if pasting works as expected.

8. BGObsession

BGObsession Aspirant

+30
    That seems to have taken care of it. No idea why the issue would've suddenly occurred but I sure appreciate the help!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted