Can these vBulletin problems be fixed?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Isac, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Hi again Gurus. These are 2 problems which are bugging me:
    1st: I can't seem to find out why I can't see "Comment" in the Admin Only section that is in all other normal posts.
    * This is in normal posts for all memmbers.
    SH7_ 313.jpg
    * This is in Admin Only section.
    SH7_ 314.jpg
    2nd: This is popping up all the time when members are typing posts. I don't know why or how to fix it.
    SH7_ 316.jpg

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,736
    I'm not sure about the 1st error but you might want to check which browser the user is using for the 2nd error. If it's Safari it's a common error. Did you manage to upgrade yet?

3. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Thanks zappaDPJ. All different browsers, that's why I think it may be within vbulletin. We can't upgrade as yet (I would but I'm not the owner).

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,736
    I think it probably is. When that error occurs has anyone checked to see if the post has been made? i.e. refresh the page.

5. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    It happens randomly while you are entering text in a post. You have to click OK, click back into the post and you can keep on typing. It's just annoying. It happens even after a page refresh.

6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    What version are you using? If its not the latest then go to vBulletin.com and download the latest version on their forum there is a post how to upgrade follow that.

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+1,880
    Unfortunately he cannot do that because he's not the owner of the site.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,758
    Well then he needs to talk to the admin of the site. If you are running below 5.2 there where all sorts of issues.

9. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    We use version 5.1.2 and unfortunately am unable to upgrade at this time as I am not the owner. The owner is hard to contact and this makes it difficult as you can probably appreciate. I guess we'll just have to put up with the bugs for now. Thank you for your efforts.

10. Craigles700

Craigles700 Participant

+49
    Have them update to the latest version (assuming they have the correct PHP and Mysql/Maria db versions to support), they will resolve so many headaches by doing so.

11. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Thanks Craigles700. I will pass all of this on to those who pay the bills and await their reply. I wrote a program many years ago and it still sells to this day. I do all bug fixes and upgrades and DO NOT charge for it as I think it is my duty to have a good product that works as it is designed to do. I think software companies are the only protected species who can sell any garbage they slap together and if it does not do what they say it will do, it must be my fault. If they fix a problem, they have the audacity to charge for it. If it was Epson, Ford, GMH, Rolex or Tupperware, it would be replaced with something that works as it should. I'm going on I know, but why is it that software companies are the ONLY companies which are not forced to repair or replace their products if they are faulty? I've asked this on many occasions (even to Governments) and to this day I have not had a response that is even worth reading. Cheers and have a great day, Greg :)

12. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+2,057
    That usually means there was a php error or warning in the ajax response when you/they posted.

Its almost certainly been fixed in later versions, until you can get the site upgraded, you will continue to get these issues.

13. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Thanks Paul M. It's very strange, because it's only started popping up over the last couple of months. I guess we'll just have to put up with it for a while. Thanks for the explanation. Cheers, Greg.

14. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,669
    More than likely someone somewhere is updating the server. You could still run (for the most part bug free) VB 3.x from 10+ years ago but only if on the same server you had when you bought it. In the software industry the servers keep upgrading, the operating systems, PHP versions, databases keep upgrading, it requires constant changes to the code to maintain. That can't be done for free and have a company be profitable.

15. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Cheers BirdOPrey5. Valid points. Thank you.

16. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,387
    Upgrading is really your only logical course of action - either to a new version of vb or another software entirely.

17. Isac

Isac Aspirant

+4
    Thanks JoeychgoJoeychgo It's up for discussion when and if I can get hold of the site owner.

18. Bengie

Bengie Aspirant

+4
    None of the above.

We used VB long before XF came into being and a couple of years ago we moved over to XF.

For some unknown reason, about 6 month ago we went back to VB5 and what a stupid thing that was.
    Last week we moved back to XF.

VB is not at all user friendly, it seems to have been written to satisfy the coders and to do what they want
    and not what users want which is an easy to navigate and post forum.

So in answer to your question, move over to XF and problems all solved :)

19. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,669
    There must have been something XF was lacking for you to move to VB5 in the first place? Unless the decision maker just rolls dice every morning to decide what software to use?

20. Bengie

Bengie Aspirant

+4
    We didn't seem to be getting listed in Google search so went back to VB, but we didn't get listed there either
    so moved back to XF.
    You don't realize how user friendly some programs are until you have a go at a different one.

Just on hate. There is no page count above the first post in a thread so you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to move to another page.
    Simple things but annoying non-the-less.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.