Can Someone Reverse Your SEO?

Discussion in 'Forum SEO' started by ozzy47, May 5, 2016.

1. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    I was thinking, is it possible for someone to attempt to reverse your forum SEO and make it worse than better? I mean I could see bad rivals trying to do this to their competition and am wondering how easy it would be to do it and how we could protect our forums from this sort of activity?

What do you all think?

2. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    Google penalises for spam SEO. If you got a small site, you could pay to have someone do poor quality spammy SEO and it would greatly penalise a site, as far as I know. If a site is big enough, it won't really do much.

That's just my knowledge + my logic added together.

3. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    I am talking about your competition doing it to you, to hurt your SEO rankings.

4. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    Yeah, I was too. I'll clarify, I mean for smaller sites, you could pay someone to do poor quality SEO on the competitor's site and it should hurt their SEO ranking, as Google doesn't know who's doing the SEO or playing with their algorithms. Google just cares you've got spammy SEO. So for smaller sites, it'll greatly affect them and Google should think of them as spam, to my knowledge.

So yeah, competitors could do it. It'd work with smaller sites, not big enough ones.

5. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,456
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  6. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    Google is extremely proactive and reactive in dealing with exploits. I can say this with first hand experience given my time at and current involvement with Webmaster Central. The overwhelming majority of the time I have seen people complain about problems the end result was that the cause was either (a) something they did and thought nobody would connect; (b) something someone else did for them that they didn't know about such as an SEO or an automated service that started itself again; (c) they were hacked; or (d) the traffic drop was completely unrelated and the things they thought were bad were ineffective (like tons of nofollow links).

So how do you answer this question? Probably the same way you can prevent a DDOS attack or prevent someone from suing you in court. It's really very difficult to almost impossible. You can only use best practices to minimize impact and to convince those in a position to help to assist in remedying the situation ASAP because it's clear what has occurred.

If you have a serious concern you should get yourself over to Google Webmaster Central and ask a question. You can use a link shortener as well. The forum "Top Contributors" and "Rising Stars" (forum moderators who provide assistance) are extremely knowledgeable SEO persons who also have the benefit of seeing many different sites, trends and can pool from the collective group about whether someone has seen an issue before. And if something is stuck or certainly an anomaly, they can be of help to remedy an issue. Hope that most of you don't require such help but figured I'd let you know it's available.

7. Empire

Empire Devotee

+506
    If they do it, can you legally do something about it?

8. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    Don't know, but since it'll only work on businesses with less of an impact on Google in terms of SEO, I doubt they'd have the money to do it anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.