Can proboards be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by alxne, Mar 18, 2017.

1. alxne

alxne Neophyte

+0
    I was wondering if Proboards can be upgraded to a different forum software such as IPS4 XF or SMF

2. FriendStein

FriendStein Aspirant

+4
    My guess since its free hosting, then probably not. I'd ask their support to be sure though. I personally don't use free host, I use self hosting packages.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,500
    I believe it has been done but the method used is likely to be difficult and would almost certainly put you in breach of ProBoard's Terms of Service.

4. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,082
    Yes, if you can get an importer script working and are willing to lose the original site on Proboards for a 'terms of service violation'.

5. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    Need to upgrade to their paid forums.net plan, stick with it for six months and then you can download the database. There is a convertor script to convert it to SMF, and then you can convert it to Xenforo or IPS or whatever..

Proboards has some good in it, their support team is seriously on the ball, and fast. But their huge drawback is the fact that they are still not responsive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I'm shocked! They could probably get a lot more traffic and sales with that sort of feature!

7. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    They are working on a new "version 6" that will be responsive. But damn, it's almost 2018 and I don't think the new version is even close to being done yet. I like alot of things about proboards, but they have some catching up to do feature wise. Version 6 better be really freaking good.

8. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I remember being on ProBoards back when they first started. The features back then were not as good as today haha.

9. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    Well, we took a look at the database download from Forums.net/Proboards today. I was very sad to see that Passwords were downloaded in pure Binary format. No option for downloading in hexadecimal format. I have strong suspicions as to why:mad:

So, passwords for all 7000 members will be lost. This sucks.

Anyone have any ideas??

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    UPDATE:

We took the Forums.net Database and converted it to SMF. In doing so, we lost a ton of pics and forum formatting. And of course, the way URL's are set up, we knew that we would have some work to do with 301's so that search traffic would not suffer. And yes, we lost all passwords. But this is really a blessing in disguise. It forced everyone to create new passwords, which is just a good thing to do anyways.

Then , we took the newly converted SMF database and converted it to IPS 4 on our own server. We then found a theme that allows people to change the colors of their header, background and content.

Then, we took that light theme and modded it into a dark theme. The theme we started with was "Shift" by IPS Focus. I actually prefer the dark version that we created.

The members enjoy being able to change colors to their choosing.

Now, Im trying to figure out IPS Commerce. Jesus, what a major pain in the ass application. I just need it to create an active premium member program.

FZ07.org

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Tommy Huynh

Tommy Huynh Aspirant

+4
    Why did you leave Forums.net?

12. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+604
    The ability to customise the platform beyond what Forums.net offers is a pretty big draw.

13. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    1. Proboards/forums.net absolutely sucks on a mobile device. It forces mobile visitors into a really crappy "mobile mode".

2.Users have no way to upload pics directly to their server, must use third party.

3. No good themes exist for Proboards, they all look like 1998 themes.

4. No premium member addons.

In the end, I wanted to have my own server. Proboards does have a really good and easy admin panel, one of the ver best I have ever seen. Plugns can be loaded easily from admin panel. Their Support staff for their Forums.net version is very good. Send them a ticket and you have an answer in 15 minutes or less. They go above and beyond.

IF someone is new to forums like I was, its a good way to get started. Just absolute hell to convert to another platform.

14. Woffie

Woffie Enthusiast

+45
    I have recently switched from IPS to Proboards. So far so good. I basically got tired my getting my @$$ kicked by Facebook. I am not spending 3-4 hundred dollars per year for the amount of traffic I get. Facebook is the devil!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.