Can I expect people to have mod_rewrite in order to use any of my plugins?

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by Danielx64, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    Over the last few days I have been working on creating my own seo link generator, something that I can use in more than one project with very little code changes.

While building this system (and testing it), I been debating if I should make most of my plugins require mod_rewrite in order to work. I understands that VB5 has this requirement.

Is this something that most people should have installed by now?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,591
    If you are stuck on Apache then yes.. no such critter for nginx.. it uses try_files (for FURL's) and then certain vhost processes for rewrites.

3. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    So if I wanted to support nginx, then people would have to edit their comfig files?

4. TimWolla

TimWolla Developer

+98
    Hi
    Yeah. nginx does do “dynamic loading of configuration files”, at least not when using stock nginx. To be honest, no one wants to do “dynamic loading of configuration files” in nginx, as it will be dog slow …

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,591
    Depends on what you are doing... it's basically like defining the .htaccess in the vhost definition instead of another file.
    I have to have different try_files for my IPS site, my BB site, my XenForo and my WordPress. With WBB I also have to do some other stuff to get it to work reliably.

6. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    So I really need to have a fallback option, and that could be a pain now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.