Burton Hosting: Any word?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by hecate, Jun 13, 2008.

1. hecate

hecate Neophyte

+0
    We, and two of our close friends (one with a Web Design business that does a little reselling of hosting), had accounts for quite a while with Burton Hosting, based in the UK but with servers in Atlanta, Ga. Suddenly, about a year ago, they totally stopped responding to emails and support tickets, and their phones were taken down. We left, but our friends remain. The one with the web design business has a contract that's up this month, and, although uptime has remained acceptable, is afraid to renew since even she, with a very long, friendly, and mutually profitable relationship with the owner of Burton, has been unable to get a single response from them for many months.

Does anyone know what happened to them? While we were lucky enough to be able to move our little community to my employer's server, my friend, with three of her own domains (including one with a small community) and four clients hosted transparently through Burton, is frantically looking for a new host. I promised her I'd try to find out something here. Thanks.

2. Gary

Gary Fan

+1
    I have never heard of them myself hecate, but I hope that the hosting that they provide doesn't all of a sudden stop or become suspended, you and your friends will lose everything. As for finding a new hosting service, I can offer you something. I am the owner of a free hosting service and have a range of packages available.

If you would like to make speak to me more about this, then please send me a PM or simply reply to this topic. :)

I look forward to hearing from you and wish you and your friends good luck!

3. arhovarius

arhovarius Enthusiast

+0
    Have you contacted them already?

4. hecate

hecate Neophyte

+0
    Are you referring to Burton? If so, a number of us have tried to no avail to reach them, submitting tickets, emailing official addys, and emailing personal addys gleaned over the years. Nothing.

And yes, our friends' biggest concern is that suddenly, all the sites will be dead, although so far uptime is normal. Hence the frantic search for a new host.

But part of us just want to know what happened to them; they were terrific once.

5. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+19
    If the host you are speaking of is burtonhosting.com, you could try calling their upstream provider: Global Net Access and inquire about them. You might be able to get better contact information, or they might pass along your message. If the servers are online, someone is paying the bills.

6. Gary

Gary Fan

+1
    That will probably be true, especially if they don't even provide support or answer their emails at all any more... Have you or your friends made/already have backups of the data and files they had hosted with them? If not, I HIGHLY recommend you do so. If they don't even reply to their emails, then it is inevitable that they will not inform you on when their services will terminate, leaving you with nothing in the end and all of your files lost forever.

Have you found a new hosting service yet?

7. hecate

hecate Neophyte

+0

What a great idea, motokochan; thank you. I've called them and left a message for the sales guy, and we'll see if he gets back to me. At the very least, if they can't tell me anything about Burton, perhaps they would be willing to pass along a message to Matthew.

Gary, everyone's got backups and they are frantically looking for a new host. Luckily, the servers are still up fine (knock on wood); finding a new host who will work as well with them as Burton used to will not be an easy task.

I've passed along a few names that were recommended here and in other forums, including Booyah and Cirtex from here. Cirtex said they give no pre-sales support, but Booyah will. We'll see how things work out.

I appreciate the help!

8. frunze

frunze Enthusiast

+0
    Have you solved your issues already?

9. hecate

hecate Neophyte

+0
    No, frunze; the guy from their upstream provider was unable to get a response as well, although they are paid up for another month or two. One of us has spoken with Booyah, another with two other hosts, and we're more confident that we will be able to make a move in another month or so. Sure do wish we could find out what happened to Burton, though.

You've all given me some fresh ideas and support; thanks.

10. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+389
    It sounds like you're on a good road for discovery here. I'm sorry your old hoster didn't work out for you, but I can imagine how excited you must be about getting new digs, and a commitment to your site.

Good luck!

:)

gogo

11. hecate

hecate Neophyte

+0
    WOW, that's putting a positive spin on what's been a REALLY overwhelming, aggravating, and sad (we had such a good relationship previously) situation. We all felt very comfortable with Burton, and would have liked to stay with them forever had this not happened.

Fingers crossed that we make a good choice, as we want this one to be for the duration! Thanks, all, and still open to suggestions and feedback regarding Booyah, Cirtex, A Small Orange; additionally, the guy from the server farm who wasn't able to reach Burton either suggested two larger hosts we will check out.

12. ExplicitSense

ExplicitSense Aspirant

+0
    I would never stay with a company that does not respond to support tickets, emails, phone calls, etc.

13. Hi_Lary

Hi_Lary Enthusiast

+0
    It's high time to find the other company, their behaviour is wretched.

14. junap

junap Neophyte

+0
    Same problems here with Burton, after many many years of near flawless service and great support when it did glitch.

To make matters worse, a number of their boxes are failing page checks on getmesupport.com/burtonhosting , including one holding serveral of my sites. I have ftp backups, but can't get into mysql to dump the latest datasets :(

Also, does anyone have recommendations about how to retrieve control of domains registered through Burton?

15. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+19
    If you have FTP access and the website server can access the database, look at installing a local copy of phpMyAdmin for your dumping needs.

It depends on how they were registered. It is most likely they were a reseller (ICANN certification is expensive), so they would have used a different registrar. If your name and e-mail is in the registrant info for WHOIS, you can usually get the main registrar to send the verification code to that address, and also unlock the domain.

16. junap

junap Neophyte

+0
    Thanks for the reply!

Annoyingly I can't get web server access reliably enough to get into phpMyAdmin, I jsut get a lot of 'too many connections' errors from it. I do have a DB backup from last friday, which isn't too bad, but I'd obviously like the most recent copy.

As for the domains, my name is in the registrant info, but Burton have all their email/phone/address details in the rest! I'm not sure where that leaves me when appealing to OpenSRS/Tucows, who appear to be the main registrar.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  17. motokochan

motokochan Habitué

+19
    It's worth a try to just keep giving it a shot. If your apps are connecting reliably enough, a local copy should be able to do so as well at least some of the time. Pick a low-traffic time and see what you can do.

Not sure either, but sometimes they will try to work with you on an issue. Maybe you can talk to them about verifying ownership a different way (via faxed ID confirming your name and a special page on the site using that domain?). Either way, it is worth a try to contact them and explain the situation.

18. NetHead

NetHead Neophyte

+0
    Hey all. I'm another Burton Hosting customer who signed up just to join in on the discussion.

I am also trying to wrestle control of my domains away from Burton. I'm going through 1and1 for the transfer. Apparently Burton has all of my domains locked right now, so even though 1and1 were able to send email to the address listed under WHOIS they're not able to finish the transfer because of the lock.

Here's some addresses that might help other BH customers:
    BH DNS panel: http://manage.burtondns.org/ -- I got the auth code and changed the WHOIS email here
    BH panel for those who ordered the Managed DNS service: https://bh.managednsservice.com/

I'll keep you guys updated on how things go. I request that others do the same if they're able to make any progress.

Edit: The username/pw combo for the DNS panel is the ORIGINAL username and pw you chose when you registered with BH. In other words, any changes you made to your password through cPanel did not spread to this DNS panel.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  19. gigapros

gigapros Aspirant

+0
    Seems like a big mess. :(

20. junap

junap Neophyte

+0
    NetHead: I can't unlock my domains either it seems. Very frustrating. Is there anything we can do to change that?

It seems like a serious flaw in the system that a domain owner can be effectively left high and dry if their registrar suddenly bails out like this. Is there a higher authority we can approach collectively?