BurningBoard 4 is looking good

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by LeadCrow, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    ... :( That's so rude. WBB is huge in Germany. Just because they're not as popular in your language doesn't make them a "little no-name script."

2. oman

oman Aspirant

+7
    XenForo copy is obvious:

ai.imgur.com_EfnOo.png

3. WyldFyre

WyldFyre B4U Founder

+9
    It does on the world stage, and the internet is on the world stage.

It's not like WBB is huge in China, Japan, Korea, Russia, etc.

it's ONLY big in Germany. Just because it's big in your country doesn't mean it's big everywhere.

4. Massael

Massael Aspirant

+0
    It seems like a good potential platform, especially once it matures - but good support (In English) is critical for me.

5. CMOBOSS

CMOBOSS All About Da-Cookies.

+97
    I'm about to install this script. I'll let you all know when I've got that done and a link to the board. Dunno if I'll keep it alive for long but meh...

6. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Should be interesting to see, by script, do you mean Version 4? or 3?

7. CMOBOSS

+97
    Alright, so since I've not been able to find a demo link on the WCF webpage I went and installed on my make and break site.

Hit the link in my signature, click the Community tab (top right) once there.

I'll keep the registration process simple, post an intro letting me know you've come from TAZ assuming you've got some active posts here on taz, and I can trust you're not just gonna screw something up, I'll put you in a super mod position to allow you a majority of control.

I'll purchase the full release package if this thing manages to last longer than most of the forums I have used in past.

So far I'm all about the SMF & TP

8. CMOBOSS

+97
    I went with the free download I mis read the write up. Lookin like I am going to have to purchase the full deal in order to actually do much with the site or perhaps even install packages... lame sauces... i still have to check it out more... after i finish this movie. lol.

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,706
    CMOBOSS: You are not using Woltlab Burning Board 4, which is what this thread is about.
    You are using WLBB3 lite, which is completely different.

10. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,182
  11. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    I'm not sure why many are so upset about it looking like XF. There's only so many looks a piece of software can take while still appealing to lots of people.

Or....perhaps that's just the opinion whose best design accomplishment was filter-raping a logo in Photoshop.

12. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+658
    First of all, I would like to introduce myself prior to invading this thread out of nowhere :) I'm Alexander Ebert, developer at WoltLab and responsible for Burning Board 4 development. During the last months I've followed this thread and felt like I could provide you with some answers for your questions.

You are right, Burning Board 4 is influenced by the same social media and their general appearance as reflected by XenForo. It isn't much of a big thing that two softwares with the same influence result in somewhat similar design ideas.

For example the profile frame (= public user profile) is inspired by Facebook's "old" design and the user overlay (that one which XenForo is kinda famous for) is actually based upon Twitter's display of user profile.

Exactly. Sadly the importer shipped with Burning Board 3 is focused too much on the forum software (*), making it a hard one to add non-forum software.
    With Burning Board 4 there will be importers for all popular forum softwares (including XenForo and IP.B 3) as well as support to import every non-forum software provided by us, this includes blog, gallery and calendar.

If you have any questions left, feel free to ask me :)

(*) Our software's design is using a somewhat similar package system as used by Debian/Ubuntu (Linux), allowing users to install/uninstall packages with a single click. Unfortunately this leads to a few problems, as most packages don't know each other and requiring us to go for the extra round to connect them. This is the complete opposite of forum software like vBulletin which is just one giant piece of software tailored together.

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,706
    Does BB4 include wiki, blog and gallery?
    Could you tell us what features we can expect of BB4?

14. CMOBOSS

+97
    Yeah, I see I acted in haste to try a new forums script. :banghead: figured that out shortly after my last post.

I'm not impressed with what I see. regardless of the script name or version or title. Like Mrs Twain says "that don't impress me much... !" :coffee:

15. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+658
    There will be major updates for every official plugin (blog, gallery and calendar), but there will be a brief delay before they will be released. Currently we're completely focusing on the upcoming beta phase of Burning Board 4, leaving little to no space to work on them. As I said before there will be importers to carry over old plugin data.

A wiki software is already being developed by a 3rd party team, therefore we have no plans to create such a plugin.

In general we're reflecting the overall progress of the last few years, a responsive design (yay, no more pointless mobile styles), immediate feedback of user actions and a lot of interface cleanup.

Don't get me wrong, it way my intention to answer your questions in first place, but we're going to release a bunch of videos to cover the changes, therefore I would ask you to wait a bit. It was a pretty nice move of XenForo to make use of quick introduction videos to new features and we think this is way better than just providing an endless list with a wall of text beneath :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  16. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    What can we realistically expect to be able to buy it?

17. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+658
    The public beta phase will start in the upcoming months, shortly after one should be able to purchase it. There will be no estimated end on the beta phase, as it highly depends on discovered issues and how long we need to fix them.

Please don't get me wrong, it is not even required to be an existing customer, everyone can try out the beta version. Therefore one can wait until the software goes gold before deciding to spend money on it. We do not like the idea of giving fixed dates, as it requires you to either give a way too far date or you will release a completely broken version just for the sake of a fixed date.

Taking all this things into account, I cannot provide you with a fixed date (or any other kind of date) for the gold release. Well, at least the gold release will be somewhere in 2013, but once again it's reached whenever the software runs smoothly.

18. CMOBOSS

+97
    Okay so obviously I missed something. Is there a download link where I can get the latest release of this forums board? If I like it I will gladly purchase and contribute to further development.

19. dtdesign

dtdesign Developer

+658
    You could try Burning Board Lite 2.1 which is technically almost the same as Burning Board 3 but lacks a whole bunch of features for moderators and administrators.

20. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Yea, I don't recommend the lite product, it's a far cry from the full featured 3 series.

Looking forward to seeing BB4 though.

Oh and dtdesign, great avatar picture, I loved the Daedalus class ship. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.